• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Ram question

Have a 2002 ram 1500, 5.9, 85,000. Has been cutting out-like starving for fuel. Started doing this a year or so ago. Replaced plugs, wires, cap and rotor- if I have the last 2 part names correctly. Seemed to take care of the problem until recently. Before it would just do it when it wasn't ran for a while or if it was wet out and it didn't do it very many times and it was very inconsistent. Also, it would only do it for a few minutes until it warmed up. Lately, it started doing it more consistently and a lot worse, back firing and cutting out-even killed one time. It seems to be doing longer-when it does happen. Still, it doesn't do it every day. Do these trucks have a fuel filter, if not, where are the fuel pumps located? How much is a new fuel pump? Thanks in advance.

What brand of parts did you use when you did the tune-up?

Have you tried spraying down the wires, cap, and coil with water to see if they are leaking?

The fuel filter is part of the pump module assembly in the fuel tank. If you picked one up at the local NAPA and did it yourself the Pump would run about $300 for a good one. You can expect $800 to $1000 dollars at a shop.

I would doubt that it is the pump causing this issue.

I had a service place do the cap and coil. I bought the higher end plug wires at Fleet/Farm-don't remember brand. Did try spraying, nothing happened. What do you think it could be and how do I go about checking it out? Thanks again in advance.

Here is a helpful hint, if it is the fuel pump. grin

You don't need to drop the tank to change them. Take out the bolts that hold the box on, except the last two. Just loosen the last two, so the box doesn't come off, remove the three screws holding the filler tube to the box, and the ground strap that is attached from the frame to the box. When you have the bolts out, find a strong enough 2x6(about 4' to 5' long). If you don't have access to a floor jack(not the small ones that come with the truck), have one person on each side of the box towards the front, and one underneath with the 2x6. Lift the box up high enough to gain access to the top of the tank, and put the 2x6 from the floor to the bottom of the box to hold it up. For extra safety, put a couple boards between the box and the frame to the rear, just in case the 2x6 gives way. Install the new pump, and reverse proceedure. The box may take a little jimmying to get it perfect, but much faster, and easier that draining the tank and dropping in on the floor.

This is, of course, if the pump ends up being the problem.

Good luck.

I had a service place do the cap and coil. I bought the higher end plug wires at Fleet/Farm-don't remember brand. Did try spraying, nothing happened. What do you think it could be and how do I go about checking it out? Thanks again in advance.

Is the check engine light on? Did the check engine light flash while running real rough?

There is a port on the fuel injector rail to check fuel pressure. I would at least check the pressure to see if the pressure drops off fast after it is primed up. If the pressure drops real low within a few seconds, the fuel pump assembly will need to be replaced. I think the pressure(not possitive) is suppose to be around 50psi constant.

When it first starting happening, before I replaced all the stuff, the check engine light came on. Can't remember the code. No check engine light this time. Last week when it starting missing real bad and back firing and stalled out, no light??

When it first starting happening, before I replaced all the stuff, the check engine light came on. Can't remember the code. No check engine light this time. Last week when it starting missing real bad and back firing and stalled out, no light??

I would start with at least checking the fuel pressure with a guage.

My fuel pump just went out this spring. Have an '02 Dakota 4.7, so possibly the same part. Got the dealer down to around 900 for repair. Hopefully it's something else, but it would be good to get that code so you aren't chasing the wrong thing.

update. Has not acted up for a while, so I didn't do anything. Today, the check engine light went on- code po0420. Looks like cat converter, o2 sensor issue. I replaced one of the sensors a year or so ago. After doing some research, someone said that there is a federal law that emission stuff is warrantied for 10 years or 100,000 miles. Any of you wonderful car experts ever hear of this warranty? Thanks.