• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

propane heater fumes- unvented

mrmillelacs

Question

I recently attempted to install a glo-warm unvented propane heater in my permanent fish house. After hooking up all the fittings and lighting it, the heater immediately started pumping noxious eyewatering fumes, so that within just a few minutes we had to shut off the heater and get out of the house. I have rented many fishhouses with this type of heater before, so i cant figure it out. I had a fresh air supply, the window and door were open. Would a leak at one of the fittings do this? Although i didn't smell gas, i forgot my spray bottle of soapy solution to test the fittings. Or are these heaters just dangerous junk?? Thanks for any input

13 answers to this question

If the heater was brand new out of the box, that could explain it. It may have been just burning off some of the oils and coatings used during it's manufacture. If the heater has been used before, you have another problem. I would definitely give it the "soap test" either way. It's always good to install a CO detector in there too. Don't rely on it, but use it as another source of safety. If the heater was brand new out of the box, soap test it and then run it on high for 30 minutes or so to "burn it off". It's similar to a new gas grille I suppose. They always suggest pre heating on high before cooking on it.

Mrmillelacs-
Since you already stated that the heater only started to smell after it was lit, I would say that gas is not the problem. Mine also smelled at first but it went away rather quickly once we started using it on high. Could the smell possibly be from the flux and soldering process? Are you sure you didn't forget something inside the heater that could be burning? How do the flames look when the heater is going, are they burning cleanly? I really like my heater which is the same brand you purchased. Maybe this is helpful- I hope so. TROY

someone correct me if wrong but I believe the oraface for natural gas is larger than for LP, could it be you bought the wrong gas type?

we use a 30000 btu unit(LP) and it did smell a while at first from paint or oil etc. but you smell nothing now. 3rd season. we also leave a window cracked.

Be careful - - a couple of deer hunters were found dead in their blind a few weeks ago here in Michigan. The news said that they died of CO poisoning from their heater (and don't think you're safe if you don't smell anything unusual!!!).

actually im not sure anything was wrong with the heater, i was thinking i would use it anyway after so many people told me that the smell might be normal for a new heater, i just happened to see the ad in fleet farms brochure advertising the orbis direct vent heater for 299 bucks so i bought it. thanks again for everyones input