• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Smallmouth or Largemouth?

bassfshin24

Let us know which one you would rather fish for and why?

For me i love fishing for both of them but i think i am going to have to go with Largemouth. I know smallmouth put up one heck of a fight but i just love fishin the thick stuff and structure that you find largemouth in.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to agree. I like the huge variety of approaches to L.M. fishing. I LOVE the fight and attitude of S.M. but largies can be approached in so many different ways from shallow thick slop, to cranks, deep weeds or rocks... etc. From Buzz baits to Carolina rigs... That is why Large mouth are so popular I'm thinking. I'm sure there are alot of Small mouth guys that live in places that have more smallies that will support the bronzebacks a bit more. In my area there are only a handfull of smallmouth lakes and the populations aren't much to brag about.

Anyone have any tips for Smallmouth on Lake Vermillion? We are heading up for a week this saturday for walleye/smallie/musky fishing but heard it's a great population - would enjoy hearing any tips. Of course would provide in kind that person (or forum) the results of what we find! email at kroc0005 at yahoo . com if preferred to provide info offline. We will be staying in the western basin. Depths, bait/lure/color preferences - anything is welcomed!

Thanks in advance!!!! Good luck all you bassers!

-Jim

Hiya -

Gotta be smallies. Love the things. They're so fickle and unpredictable sometimes. It's so often a challenge. They'll be crawling all over a spot like ants one day, then disappear the next...but then you get those days where they hit anything that moves. Plus, I love being able to catch them on spinning gear and light line far more often than not. I could probably fish smallmouths the rest of my life and never use anything heaver than 10 lb test.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

seems like i go back and forth between the two. this weekend im going up to mille lacs for smallies and couldnt be more excited...been fishing largemouth for the past few months and need a change. its is fun using different types of baits for largemouth like frogs and buzzbaits but i actually got into the smallies one summer in thick weeds on buzzbaits...you think a largemouth hits a buzzbait hard, those smallies exploded on it.

I've caught smallies on Mille Lacs on a devils horse, a skitter pop, a zara spook, and a chuck bug... Never tried a buzz but I'm sure it would work. The top water attacks are breath taking I agree and I also agree that changing it up between Largies and smallies is THE way to go.

Hiya -

Buzzbaits can be awesome for smallies sometimes. Not always, but when they're on it - look out. Buzzers can also kind of stir up smallies - gets at their curiosity I think. You can fish through an area with a grub or something and not do much...go back over it with a buzzbait, then follow up with the same lure you used before, and they'll crush it. When I fish with a partner we'll often have the guy in front throwing a buzzbait. You catch some fish on it, but the guy getting second water will catch more than if the guy in front is throwing something subtle too.

Like I always say - smallies are weird.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

I HAVE caught smallies in the bwca on spooks and floating rapalas but anywhere else...nothing.

Plus I believe 99 time of out 100 a below surface lure will outfish a surface lure for smallies 99 out of 100 days

ps. I used to fish bass the whole season

River smallmouths hands down! But largemouths are funner than lake smallmouths. But I like the fact I can easily catch over 100 smallies a day up in grand marais, but then a handful of 3+ pound largemouths out of the brainerd area. So basically, I like both just about equally.