Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
NorthStar37

Mahoney State Park

Anybody been fishing out there? I'll be there Friday night and Saturday morning and was going to see if I can throw the fly around a bit. What kind of fish are in the ponds? It says they are stocked on the Mahoney HSOforum but it doesn't say with what.

Thanks for the help,

Nick

Hey Nick,

Haven't fished there myself, but it looks like you should have ample opportunities at the usual bass, crappie, bluegill, catfish. There are a number of different lakes/ponds there. Check the Nebraska Game and Parks page for more detailed info, although they don't provide fishing reports anymore.

Good luck and let us know how you do. I guess the park is pretty impressive in all categories.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Still have the cushions and bench seat to figure out, other than that the only thing I am waiting on is the termination cap for the furnace and I should be ready for ice plus a few rattle reels and rod holders.  Just in time as well, looks like the weather is going to be favorable over the next few weeks for us that like ice.  This is only a day house and will stay at my cottage, the bunk didn’t turn out as big as I would have hoped but my 11,8,5 year old's thoroughly think I am wrong, they love it.  I think for lights I am just going to buy some battery powered solar pucks to see how they work.  Being that I used house windows, I was worried about the nailing flange icing up so I cut some 4" angle and welded in some "V's" so the snow doesn't slide down and accumulate on top of the windows I will need to do the same for the termination cap.   Any input is appreciated.
    • Seasoning is not that big of an issue, just make your own rubs. The internet is full of recipes. It is a bit of work to smoke a pork butt or brisket depending on the smoker you have but with the right equipment it's not so much work as it is the time to prepare.  If you are one of those who are always in a hurry then you may want to just stick with steaks, burgers and hot dogs on the gas grill but if you have some time and want some gourmet food once in a while nothing beats good ole' southern BBQ, for me. The fact that we live in this predominantly Scandinavian region where ribs are usually baked, boiled or put in a crock pot and ketchup is too spicy is all the more reason it is imperative that I be at least semi-competent at BBQing. It is almost impossible to get good,  authentic, southern BBQ around here. You can however get a good steak just about everywhere you turn.
    • Looks like salt, pepper, maybe cayenne and garlic.   30 minute marinade isn't doing much.      Good pork doesn't need much more than salt and pepper and maybe a little sugar.  
    • Shot a 10 point with the slick trick raptor trick last week and was really happy with the results. Shot him at 2 yards so I waited for a quartering away shot to open up more of the vitals. Broadhead took a rib and a chunk of a vertebra going in 2 ribs,sternum and part of the leg going out. Slightly bent a blade otherwise no damage to the head. Only thing I didnt like was the entry hole in the hide was only 3/4" wide and that is because of the front deployment design. Once it was through the hide it opened to the full 2" cut. Blood trail at impact was 2 feet wide and he only went 25 yards.  I have taken 3 deer and a turkey this year with different heads. A whitetail doe and turkey with 3 blade rage chisel tip,both broadheads were broke after the shot. A mule deer doe with a griztrick 2,30 yard shot pass through. Great blood trail head was perfect and still sharp. And the buck with the raptor trick. 
    • Still on a roll from my 2016 season. 
    • Outlier. I will confess though that at least with brisket it is beef so by nature it won't need as much as pork in terms of seasoning.  
    • Texas style.  Salt and black pepper.   Put it in the smoker.  wrap it.    
    • @Big Dave2 Yeah, I have a couple acres in the woods with deeded water front access.  Had it for about 10 years now.  This camper has been stationary on it for about 6 of those years.
    • It can be but not without a quite a bit of work and seasoning which adds to the cost. I don't see too many people cooking brisket , pulled pork etc without adding a whole bunch of stuff to make it taste decent. 
  • Our Sponsors