• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is this typical for early goose??? Im a newbie........

This is my first year hunting early goose. I know hunting water isnt the best choice, but its my only option. I have hunted the last 3 days in the morning with some success. My question is, in those 3 days: The geese came in at a different time each morning,with no sort of pattern. Is this normal? I have pulled the plug at 10am every morning, and of course we will see a flock when we are leaving. when is the best time to be on the water? It seems like they are in and out of the fields all day this time of year....

I haven't hunted the early season the last couple of years but we hunted the water in western MN for years in the early season and we shot A LOT of geese between 10am and noon, that's mostly because that's when they're coming back to the water from the fields. We did get out early because there was some shooting early also but usually a big lull until later in the morning. Likewise, if you are in a field they're generally going to be heading there pretty early so be set up and ready. Good luck out there. I can't wait for the regular season to start with the cooler weather!!

Hey Bigslugger, I think I saw that you were hunting near Pelican lake, I live in Monticello and there are a lot of geese heading out of town that way in the morning but I didn't go to see where they were ending up at. Are you seeing anything out that way? Was there much for ducks flying out there?

stay out till at least noon when hunting water you will shoot way more, I always smile when people motor by and in my mind I say thanks for leavin so I have the lake to myself. some of the best shoots are in the middle of the afternooon. if you seen geese leave late they will come back in a couple hours.... darn it i just spilled the beans

Hey Bigslugger, I think I saw that you were hunting near Pelican lake, I live in Monticello and there are a lot of geese heading out of town that way in the morning but I didn't go to see where they were ending up at. Are you seeing anything out that way? Was there much for ducks flying out there?

We were where you come over the Monti hill and it meets 37 and look straight out. They were headed towards STMA and across Pelican from what I could find. Lots of ducks for sure

later the better. geese leave the water to go to the fields later in then ducks typically especially latley in my area fog seems to hold them down little longer the heat will drive them back to the water. expect seeing more birds when the temp goes down blue bird days and hot sun is not a good scenerio for the sky carp.

I hunt mostly water for honkers here. Typicially i get on the pond between 8-9, shoot a couple then wait til about 10-11 shoot some more and then leave noonish. That is just the way it is here. Yesterday I hunted a field for an hour in the morning and then jumped to the swamp for a midmorning hunt.

I would rather shoot them onthe fields, but we don't have alot of geese and i get more bunches to work and work nicer on water.

I set up 9-22 floaters depending on how I feel and who goes. Most anything I see come in on a string.

Maxxed or any body else that mite know. I am fairly new to early Goose also and i'm hearing you talking about hunting on lakes. I thought I read in the Reg's on page 21 it says: Surface water restictions. Am I reading this wrong, but it looks like it say's No hunting over Surface water or open water? I hope some one can let me know because I have my Duck boat on the trailer ready to go Sat, evening.

I'm not a water hunter, but this is what was on a previous thread

EARLY SEPTEMBER GOOSE SEASON

The early Canada goose season will open statewide on Saturday, Sept. 5.

The September season is designed to harvest Minnesota-breeding geese prior to the arrival of migrant geese. Hunter survey results show about 36 percent of Minnesota’s goose harvest occurs during the early September season. The early season is open statewide through Tuesday, Sept. 22. Bag limits for Canada geese will be five per day, statewide. A required $4 permit is valid for both early and late season goose hunting. Permits are available wherever hunting and angling licenses are sold.

New this year, the restriction prohibiting hunting within 100 yards of surface water has been lifted for the Southeast and Metro goose zones. Now the hunting water restriction applies only to the Northwest goose zone, the Carlos Avery WMA and an area surrounding Swan Lake in Nicollet County. Early season goose hunters should consult the 2009 Waterfowl Supplement for details

Developing a "pattern" for geese can be more of a location thing than a time thing. With the changes we are seeing in temperature, humidity, and precipitation this last week, the birds seem to be really variable in their movement timing patterns.

As always, the more time you can spend hunting them, the better. I can't get out mid week early mornings (the best time IMHO), but I can occasionally sneak off for the evenings and I can hunt weekends. When I go, I try to spend the whole time out there. The more time you spend on the water, hunting or fishing, the better results you will have.

Cutter08, thanks for the info, if I would have just turned the page instead of frecking out and jumping on the site for help! I would have seen that. It looks like only three areas you can not hunt over water. Well got to go put the boat back on the trailer and head out!! smile