• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009-2010 Gophers

Scott M

The Gophers play with heart, which I appreciate seeing more than just scoring. Tubby has the channel that competitive spirit into good play.

- I like Iverson way more than Sampson and think that he should be a bigger part of the offense.

- The pressure defense caused turnovers against Purdue, but we didn't capitalize often enough.

- Our offense and tempo sucks. How many times did we see guys dribble into the paint and throw up terrible shots? At one point, Iverson had the ball down low and was surrounded by four Purdue players within arm's reach. You can't tell me there weren't at least three open Gophers ready to take the shot. We need to penetrate and dish more.

- Tubby's team seems to either drive to the hoop and throw up prayers (Westbrook) or hopelessly shoot 3s. We have no mid-range jumpers in the toolkit. Good teams can shoot from anywhere. We are more of a two trick pony.

This team has potential but needs to harness the raw skills and passion into a spirited offense.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thumbs up:

Pressure Defense

Fast Break offense

Depth

Coaching Experience

Thumbs Down:

Half Court Offense

No Post Game (No one passes to Iverson, Sampson floats out of the lane too much)

No Go To Player (None of them can take over the game consistently - Westbrook once a year)

Too much subbing (stay with the hot man/squad/matchup!!!)

White and Mbawke still in purgatory

This team would be better with White or Mbawke adding athelticism and power to the front court, which this team is sorely missing.

Gave away my tickets for yesterdays games, but heard Hoffarber was on fire. Hit some transition 3's and got looks when OSU played zone. I have no idea why they would play zone against Minnesota, considering that Hoffarber is really the only offensive threat and he can't put it on the floor, but that's up to Thad. Reading Medcalf's recap, it sounds like the game nearly ended in fisticuffs, ala Corky Taylor and Luke Witte in 1972.

Apparently, the Gophers clamped down on Evan Turner enough that he only had a good game rather than a great one. We will see what happens when Minnesota goes to Columbus at the end of the month.

Caught the end of the game versus State earlier this week. Sounded like the Gophs had a decent game plan and played pretty well for most of the game but couldn't finish down the stretch. It's going to be a tough conference. Purdue lost its 3rd straight game at Northwestern...no gimmes this year.

Hopefully they can handle their business at Indiana tomorrow.

Gophers down 4 to Indiana at the half, they are lucky it is only a couple buckets. Terrible rebounding and defense. This squad -is fast becoming a soft team with no physical presence that settles for jump shots.

Sorry Gus Johnson, Sampson isn't being double-teamed out of respect, he's being double-teamed because he is slow, indecisive and can't pass out of a double-team.

Playing zone isn't protecting players that have 2-3 fouls, it's putting the gophers in a bad position to rebound and not give open looks. They are supposed to be a deep enough team to beat teams with man to man and full court press.

This is getting stupid frustrating waiting for this team to make the leap but instead taking steps backwards.

You can't p*$% around for 40 minutes and you especially can't p*$% around in overtime and the Gophers did both. Some of these guys are going to have to learn that thug ball doesn't work, and being showy (and missing dunks) doesn't work (especially if you can't hit free throws), and not showing up to finish games isn't going to win, but unfortunately, some of the gross offenders are seniors and haven't figured that out by now. They lost to a bunch of scrubs today, and its going to kill them late in the year when they need an extra win or two. Indiana is a great squad, gutty as all get out, but ask Tom Crean in a year or two about this team and that's all he'll be able to talk about is their guts because they are a bunch of scrubs. The only guy that brought his jock and came to play was Joseph, but he can't win a game by himself.

If Indiana had the talent that Minnesota had and played with the intensity that Tom Crean gets out of those guys every night, they wouldn't have lost more than a game or two. But instead, you have a bunch of guys looking for calls, that won't get scrappy or at least not scrappy enough, and can't play with the fundamentals. I'm happy Tubby can recruit these multi-star athletes, but if he can't get them to commit to defense and hard-nosed basketball, he won't win...where are those guys? Where is your floorburn leader? Johnson was in foul trouble, Busch is gone, ????

The game of basketball works the best when you have a complete automobile....someone is the engine, someone is the bumper, someone is the head lights, and the coach drives...but right now everybody wants to be the high octane engine and nobody wants to be the tires and get dirty.

Take a look at the rest of this schedule and tell me where you see the 20th win? They would have to defend their homecourt against a couple ranked teams that execute way better than the Gophers AND steal some road games...not gonna happen without an attitude and style of play change, not exactly something we see a lot of from Tubby's team. I can't believe how content Tubby is to see all of this from the sideline...those glares only go so far. These guys need to hear an earful and run for a week straight to figure out a few things.

Michigan State

Northwestern

@Ohio State

@Penn State

Michigan

@Northwestern

Wisconsin

Indiana

Purdue

@Illinois

@Michigan

Iowa

They'll be lucky to be on the bubble.

You brought up a good point about defense Chise. I had a few moments to watch Syracuse play on Saturday and couldn't believe the effort for the entire game, baseline to baseline they put out. Defense is all effort and they just don't teach that in high school or AAU anymore - its all about run and gun. Hopefully Tubby can get through to some of these players and make something of this year.

Rumor has it there gonna lose a few players who are going to be academically ineligible by weeks end.

Hopefully Nolen is one of them.... he has regressed since his Freshmen year in my opinion...

The Goph's have some identity issues right now.... I think they might as well sit Iverson and Sampson, and just press and run the heck out of the other team... we really struggle in the 1/2 court anyway and none of our big guys want to be physical... so we might as well push the tempo and get some extra possessions each game. Hoff is one dimensional and if he isn't getting looks, he isn't helping us at all. He doesn't do anything to make others better... giving up a 5pt lead in overtime is unacceptable, especially after playing crappy for 30 of the 40 mintues in the game and still getting there.

I say you let Joseph run the show and keep Nolen in is seat. Joseph showed some "I want it" stuff yesterday at the end of regulation and he brings a better all around game than Nolen. There are so many issues to talk about, I get tired just thinking about it. I trust Tubby, but right now we don't seem to have an indentity...

Things are going to get worse before they get better. Nolen is a moron. Think about it, you're an upperclassmen, a point guard no less, and you flunk classes in "sports business management" or "communication studies" or whatever bogus majors these guys have...things like grades should be tracked weekly...with all the off-the-court issues this is looking like Tubby is losing control of this team or at least taking risks that have backfired.

Supposedly Nolen was dealing with some personal and family issues this semester, but I had a death in the family as a college student, a part time job, had nearly a double credit load most semesters...I guess I just don't have a lot of sympathy for the kid. Part of that may be because he hasn't gotten a lick better and has actually played worse ever since Louisville last year.

I love Gopher hoops, and I will get to see them flop on Saturday against State, but there is just no way this team is going dancing this year. This was the year I was talking about last year and the year before and its here and this team is blowing it big time. I hope Tubby gets the ship righted soon, at the latest after this season is done.

Agreed with dachise. There is no excuse for Nolen not being academically eligible. If he cared enough he would get help with whatever classes he is struggling with!

Well at least the Gophers are playing very well so far! Up by 8 at half time!

GO GOPHERS!!!!!

They played tough again, actually had their half court offense working in the first half and first part of the second but alas, just not meant to be. No excuse down by 1 at home with the ball and 14.7 seconds left not to at least draw a foul. NIT here we come! wink

Yeah, that was pretty harsh. Everybody filed out of Williams into the pouring rain that felt like a microcosm for the Gophers season...too many rainy days and not enough sunshine.

I figured it was addition by subtraction with Nolen gone, and Joseph mostly proved me right. Might have been nice to have Nolen in Lucas' jock to stop some of his scoring, but that wasn't an option.

The Gophers made just enough dumb plays (Carter missing the dunk off the back of the iron when he had an easy layup, Johnson stealing the backcourt inbounds and not waiting for teammates and forcing a bad shot that was swatted, poor weak side defense leaving Lucas and Allen open for lots of 3 point looks) to counteract the smart plays (Westbrook making MSU pay for not watching the inbounder under the basket, a couple of lobs inside when MSU overplayed the perimeter on defense).

The only good thing I can say for Tubby is he finally shortened the bench. 4 guys played over 33 minutes for the first time all season...they established continuity and worked together fairly well.

Sampson had a couple plays where I had to do a double-take...scary to think of what the guy could accomplish if he was that aggressive for an entire game instead of a possession or two.

At no point did I think the lead was safe, and the Gophers never played good enough defense for me to think they had the game in their back pocket. To only score 2 points in the last 4:47 spells defeat for any team. The halfcourt offense got a few good looks, but overall, it still let them down in crunch time. They couldn't execute with the last shot. I was hoping they would go to Johnson because he wasn't having a great offensive game, plus I figured MSU would think that the play would be designed to get Hoff a look or have Westbrook go 1 on 1. So the play call was right, but no post player on this team knows how to seal his man, so Johnson wasn't able to get his man on his hip and run the play that was intended. So once again it was 1 on 5 with Westbrook...he never used a pumpfake and things didn't work out.

You just knew that something bad was going to happen all game since this team can't finish in the clutch. I kept looking at the scoreboard and thinking, Lucas is just coasting, he's going to lay waste to this team in the last 5 minutes...he didn't really take over per se, but that cold blooded 3 with 90 seconds left was the game winner.

Gophers are 3-4 in the conference and the schedule is brutal. They are going to have to establish some rhythm down the stretch to make the tournament. With the logjam in the middle of the conference, it looks like 4 or maybe 5 teams will make the tournament. Gophers are going to have to win some games they weren't supposed to, to enter the top 5. Next game is Northwestern on Tuesday.

The last 5 or 6 posessions were hard to watch. Sit at midcourt and wait for the clock to run down then pray. Come on Tubby, draw up a play. I really don't know if Tubby knows his x's and o's on offense. For the second half defense, you have to adjust and start defending the three point shot, MSU must have hit 6 in a row at one point in the second half.

You gotta have and identity down the stretch if you want to win the big one. They just don't seem to know what they are supposed to do, or can't execute it. Either way you get a W. More disappointed in the D down the stretch than the offense though.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

They won this one. 1st half defense was pretty good. Especially after Northwestern's first 18 points.

Got back pretty late from the game. It was smart guys versus athletic guys, and I suspect loser/winner will reverse in Evanston.

Gophers couldn't hold a lead and couldn't solve a zone...how many years has NW been running the same offense and defense, yet Minnesota never seems prepared for it. Does Tubby just practice defense day in and day out? The thing I couldn't figure out, is guys kept double teaming the post. Go look at the box score and team stats, does NW have anyone that is going to beat you inside that you should double team? It's a team full of good passers, of course they will make you pay on the double team. They must have hit 3-4 treys that were wide open because of wings double teaming the post.

I realized last night that Hoffarber is the only guy on the team with a good basketball IQ. He usually makes the smart pass and usually takes good shots. His defense has been a little bit better of late, probably because I would guess they assign him to the other team's weakest offensive backcourt threat, and when he wants to, he boxes out and rebounds. His D is suspect, but they can hide him. Every other player on this team makes dumb plays. I saw about 4 alley oop attempts sail into the stands and 3-4 skip passes go out of bounds. They need to work on passing in practice.

I also had another revelation yesterday. Iverson is an 80% decent post...He posts up better than Sampson, gets the ball, has good footwork that helps with good moves, but he never takes good shots! He always flips the ball up, rushes it, doesn't have the touch, etc. It was frustrating how often he beat his defender but couldn't finish around the basket.

Luckily in this game, the Gophers seized control down the stretch when it was neck and neck with a couple timely Hoff 3's and Westbrook making a few shots here and there.

There are 10 games left in the conference. They need to win at least 6 and a BTT game, or 7 and a BTT game, to get in. Their RPI is decent in spite of all the early cupcakes, at a 66 going into last night's game. Keep winning and it will go up. The other thing working for them is the probably have one of the more favorable schedules down the stretch of any Big Ten team. It's gonna be a meat grinder for everyone, but they have more games with teams in the bottom half of the league and home games with top half teams. If they use a shorter bench and adopt a "nobody believes in us" mental attitude, they may be able to rally and dance again. I still think it's a disappointing year if they are 1 and done or NIT (Not in Tournament), but they may have a chance. I was counting on the new recruits playing and that isn't going to happen, so you have to take what you get.