• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catching Walleyes at High Noon

Map Guy

On Sunday (9/6), I’m fishing my favorite lake for walleyes with no luck while trying to dodge the pleasure boaters and jet skiers. On a normal day I can catch a few walleyes at the regular spots of weedlines and mid-lake humps, but it just wasn’t going to happen with the boat traffic and high sun. This particular lake has a small river passing though it, so I thought I would get away from the traffic and set up down stream, where there is a little bit of current. Much of the river had thick weeds so I found a clear area of weeds but it was shallow, only about 3’- 4’ deep with a rocky bottom. I started dragging a jig with a leech along the rocks and in three hours I ended up with 14 walleyes from 12”-15” including a fat 23” plus a bonus 16” smallie (all successfully released).

I guess I was very surprised to find fish in a location that to me, is more typical of a spring or late fall pattern. Not during the ‘dog days’ of summer, with heavy boat traffic, in shallow water, in the middle of a sunny afternoon.

Not sure if I just got lucky and stumbled across some feeding fish that particular day or if this is a pattern that remains consistent through out the year in this part of the river.

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences?

Yup I have had a similiar experience. We were not attracted to the river because of boat traffic. My buddy was up for the 4th last year went to the end of the dock tossed out a jig and wham. He called me up and I went over there. To our suprise we caught walleyes in the river in 3-6 ft all summer. I was really suprised by the amount of bait fish in the river which was why the walleyes were in there.

Thanks for the responses. Just as a follow up, I hit the same spot on the river yesterday with all conditions being about the same as two weeks ago. Except that there was hardly any current. In four hours I ending up getting 11 samllies (10”-16”), 2 walleyes (10” & 17”) and 4 sheepheads (I know they’re sheepheads, but they were huge and gave a great fight). So basically, the fish were still there, but the smallies were most abundant this time. Maybe the walleyes are looking for more current. Anyway, it was a fun time on the water and I think I found new favorite spot.

The way I think about a lake is walleyes will be where they want when you want. I know that leaves it pretty open ended but there are days in july and August where we can go up in 3 or 4 feet of water and a flat calm day to catch nice walleyes. If you find a pattern like that its really fun becuase you wont have many people bother you!

WhaTT - I have killed the shallows myself on this lake with very limited luck. The only difference, I believe with this particular spot was a little current and weed cover. And like Team Otter stated, there maybe other factors why the eyes are there such as cover, food, timing and/or just plain luck. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but I would suggest to keep looking for areas that have these factors, at some point it may pay off. Wish you the best.

when fishing shallow stealth is the key these fish spook very easy make long casts. moveing in on a spot from upstream can spook the fish right out of the hole in witch case it may take awhile for the fish to go back to feeding

I think this is exactly right. I think it goes for lakes as well. When you are moving all around in your boat bumpin the bait bucket and talking loudly, you have a good chance of spooking fish. I always catch more fish when i'm by myself, just b/c i'm not talking and moving around at all. Use the electric to sneak into shallow spots and drop the anchor with care!

Oh yeah and i went out yesterday and some of the only action I could find was in 4-6 FOW and also 11-13.