• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A first for me.

Deitz Dittrich

So, I spent the weekend up in Brainerd. Did quite a bit of fishing. But had a first for me.

I was dropshotting out on some deep rock. Set the hook on a fish which felt small. Mid fight my rod doubled over.. I thought I had a pike hit my bass. Which I have had happen a few times before. However, this was different. It wasnt a pike that had hit my bass.. It was a BASS that had hit my bass. The original fish was about 11", probably a hair under a pound. The big fish was pushing 5.5lbs if I had to guess.. ended up loosing both fish.. BOOOOO.. but was way cool!

I was pulling in a bass fishing off my dock last summer, just as I was getting it close another bigger bass came out from under the dock and t-boned the one on the hook. Only grabbed it for a few seconds. First fish was probably 3lb range, and would guess the second was around 4. The wife saw the whole thing, otherwise I don't think anyone would have believed me.

Hiya -

The biggest smallmouth bass I've ever seen ate a 6" smallie right at the boat (or right at the canoe I guess) in the Boundary waters in about 1990 or so. Since then have caught smallies up to 22", and this one is still in a whole 'nother class. Kind of shows you what happens when you push the right button on their predatory response...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Good fishing Deitz, I started drop shotting for the first time this summer. I caught a 2lb smallie on Koronis, with 4" worm, would like try doing it more. Need to wait for boatmotor to be repaired, it caught fire on saturday while walleye fishin gon Clearwater. stinks

Dietz, I was up there too. What lake were you on? I stayed at Madden's on Gull and had a little luck but no big ones.

Fev- I was up there all weekend. I fished North Long on Friday. Gull and Saturday, and Sylvan on Sunday. Caught good numbers in all, but you are right, size was not easy on Gull.. got a 17" fish in some slop was about the best fish I could dig up there.

Last fall on Green I was throwing crank bait, got a little tap, set the hook on a 6 inch largemouth. Started skimming it across the top of the water on the way to the boat. That poor little fella got wacked about or 8 times by different smallies. I think he was pretty happy to see me when I pulled him out of the water. P.S. Tonka you should stop screening your calls, I crushed um! tonight. LOL.

A similar story that I didn't post yesterday due to lack of time... I was throwing DT 16s over and around a mid lake hump and snaged a good pike (ended up being 34 inches) and as I was netting the pike a very nice Bass ( I'm guessing in the 20 + range ) came up right next to the boat right behind the pike and I dang near netted him. I think sometimes these fish are attracted to the commotion and instinctively follow and look for scraps or excaping prey.

Dietz, I live on Gull and fish the lake alot. It is a tough lake to find big bass in numbers. There are lots of 12 inch bass. I am not sure why more 4+ pound bass are not caught since the lake is very fertile. It does hold pretty good numbers of both large Northerns and Walleye.

How did you do on Sylvan? It is a super clear lake.

I fished Gull sat, sun, and Mon for a total of about 13-14 hours. My three day total was 19 bass and 5 pike. Biggest bass was 17 and came on a green pumpkin senko from under a dock near Madden's lodge and my biggest pike was 28 and that came on a white spinnerbait. I'd say my avg. bass went around 14 or so inches. Most were dock fish. Did get a few early on a Buzzbait and a mossy Mouse near pads. I expected better size though as well as better numbers. Definately a lake you have to hit early due to a ton of recreational traffic. Prob. due to Labor day weekend though.

JConrad- I did very well on Sylvan. Early in the morning I did well on the slop and pads. By late morning I turned on the SI(Side Imaging) and looked for deep rock. The lake has a TON of it.. I spent the afternoon dropshotting deep rock.. Was off the lake by 1pmish.. probably caught 50 fish, biggest was 4+, but for the most part were 14-16" fish.

Gull I did better in the slop, caught a few nice ones flipping milfoil on midlake humps and such. A few on spinnerbaits.. my biggest was 17.5" in pads over in Steamboat bay..

Fever, did you happen to see my Cat? I was staying on the same bay you were at a wifes friends house?

Thanks for the report on Sylvan. I didn't realize it has so much deep rock. I will have to check it out since I live about 5 minutes from the lake. I have never fished it so now I think I will.

I have been doing fairly well on the big structure on Gull near deep water on the edges with cabbage weed/hard bottom. Pretty good numbers of 14 - 17 inch fish but no real large ones. Crank baits, spinner baits and drop shotting when I locate a few fish. I am not doing as well this year as I did last year and I am not sure why. Maybe the crazy summer weather has something to do with it.

Dietz, thanks again for the update on your trip. We sure had nice weather over the weekend up this way.

Best, Joel

I was out with a couple of buddies on Borden lake by Milacs on sunday. The water was really clear and I was throwing a zara spook along the weed edges most fish would knock the lure out of the water and not take it. Then just as my lure lands a fish knocked the lure out of the water almost 1.5 feet into the air when if was coming down either the same fish or another one caught the lure in mid the air. I haven't ever had a fish hit a lure in mid air before.

Bob

That would be awesome to see Fish 45!!!! The only thing close to that I have was fishing on Tonka many years ago.. I was throwing a topwater spook and trying to skip it under docks. I made probably the worst cast I have ever made which resulted with the spook going around a mooring line a few times and suspended the bait about 2 feet over the water. Knowing I was not getting the bait back without going to get it, I put the t-moter on and started to drive for the lure/dock.. about halfway there, a bass jumped out of the water and got hung up on the lure. So there is a bass, hanging from a lure from a rope going to a boat and its tail cant reach the water.. was comical!

Deitz, thanks for the note back.

32ft is really deep for bass in our central MN lakes. Sylvan is a very clear spring fed lake so maybe that is the key. I am also wondering where the thermocline is since bass will not normally be below this level for any length of time. Hmmmm. I am wondering if some of the bigger bass in Gull are also very deep this year.

Drop shotting is a geat method for fishing deep structure as we both know.

Last year in early September I took several large bass in about 25ft of water on rock in Gull drop shotting but they have not been there this year.

Can you tell with your electronics where the thermocline is? I think this is extremely important when fishing deep water structure before the turn-over This would be a good topic of discussion on this board to hear what others think.

Joel