• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

why is my grass turning white?

LovenLifeGuy

Im sure someone here can answer this question for me. In some spots of my lawn the blades of grass are turning white. It is mainly in the shade but a little in some sunny areas. It looks like some one misted the area with white spray paint. Any ideas? Is it mold? I mow my lawn at the highest setting on the mower and water when needed. Usually in the morning. My backyard is very thick and green but my front is thin, but green and both have some areas with the white grass.

Thanks

Mildew. You'll see it on some plants as well.

Too much moisture in the air with the cooler nighttime temps.

Some people may have seen orange on their grass blades or shoes after mowing. This would be a form of rust.

It's not going to kill your grass, it just means fall is on the way.

There are more people that leave the grass normal length.

We don't change the height when we mow.

The reasoning is, grass gets energy from the sun.

If you cut it short, it takes that much longer in the spring get gather that energy from the sun.

As far as cutting the grass short to keep snow mold away, I'm not entirely sure about that.

As long as you don't let the grass go 6-10+" and keep it at normal height or just a hair shorter, you're going to be fine.