• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3-Legged Bear

Yesterday my wife watched a 3-legged bear feeding at her bait crib. It came and left several times over a period of one hour and 20 minutes. She estimated it's weight at 130 to 150 pounds. All the hunters in our family hold out for larger bears but she wondered if it would be more humane to take this bear because of it's injury. The stump of it's front leg was healed over so the injury happened some time ago. What is your opinion?

I should mention that we live and hunt in wolf country. Several years ago my daughter shot a bear. It ran from the bait site. She climbed out of her stand and came to get us. We trailed the wounded bear for about 30 minutes. We found the bear about 11:00 at night. The head and front quarters, and the hind quarters were intact and attached to the spine. Everything in between was eaten. The area was trampled swamp grass with blood covering most of it. Timber Wolves enjoy Black Bear meat. Bears are terrified of them.

I think i would pose the question to DNR also simply as they might want to do more than kill it. They may want to tag and track to see how well it takes care itself etc. One one had, it would be a great story, on the other, it has last clearly for sometime on its 3 legs so are you actually doing it a favor or not. would be easier to track i would think. good luck

A few years ago I had a couple trail cam pics of a 400 lb mature boar that was missing his left front leg just below the shoulder. He was doing just fine.

I say leave the bear alone. If he makes it, then he makes it. If not...well, thats nature.