• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig and Pig Rod

jdclarey

All my jigs under 3/4 ounce I use a 7' MH fast action st. croix mojo. This is the same kind of rod I use for my texas rigs. For my heavier jigs I use a 7'6 XH Fenwick hmx. The heavier rod is nice for plunking and pulling big jig n' pigs in the milfoil.

By shallow I am assuming like 5' or less. I have a 7'5" Loomis that I fell in love with this year, but I also like a 7'6". I like a MH or Heavy with a Mod action. I like a shallow flipping stick to have a little more give than one I use for 10' or deeper... If the cover is really thick though, I will bust out the pool cue smile

What length, power and action do like for fishing shallow waters with Jig and Pig. Do you use the same rod for Texas Rig

This is a somewhat rigged question.. I have the liberty of having 20+ rods rigged in the boat.. While i have similar actions rigged with texas and jigs.. I usually have both.. My jig rods do tend to be a bit more stout and heavier lb test rigged on them.. and tend to be a bit longer.

on a side note, I do have at least 2 jig rods tied on at all times(1/2 oz and 3/8th.) and often times, 2 texas rigs as well(different weights and size plastics.)

If you could give my wife a call and explain to her the necessity of having several Rods rigged up, I'd appreciate it. just kidding (sort of, sigh...). Actually, I had the St. Croix 6' 10" premier Heavy power, Mod/fast action rod and liked it a lot, but the troling motor (scissor mount) decided to break it. As much as I loved that rod, Im thinking about replacing it with something with a little less power. It seems most people here like something along the lines of MHF.

Quote:
It seems most people here like something along the lines of MHF.

Yes, unless I am in some super heavy veg.. I much prefer a slightly softer tip. I too really like the 6'10" for texas rigs.. but for jigs I like the little bit extra leverage of a slightly longer rod.. My Jig rods are 7'2" and 7'6"..

Good luck in the new rod search!!