• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Losing fish on swim jigs?

TurnUpTheFishing

Since Ive started throwing swim jigs alot more this season Ive ran into the problem of losing too many fish probably somedays around 50 percent! I dont even get close to that with cranks. Yesterday the breaking point was watching a big, easy 6lb fish head shake taunt me and throw the jig 5 yds out.

anyone else have this problem?

My setups are usually a 7' MH fast action rod, 6:1 ratios, 14lb copoly, or 12lb fluoro. Mainly I throw All Terrain swim jigs.

I have been using the AT swim jig a lot this year and it has been one of my best baits in terms of hook up ratios. I use a 6'8" med xfast rod with 15lb big game mono. So we aren't doing much different there besides rod action. When I get bit, especially on a long cast, I always set the hook twice to make sure I get the hook past the barb. What kind of trailer are you using? Are you fishing it on long or short casts ? are you around heavycover?

I recommend fishing braided line and jigs with thin wire hooks. It's tough to drive a big forged hook home with mono or even flouro at the end of a long cast. 7' M fast action rod with 30lb power pro is what I use now. I am losing less fish now that I have switched from mono.

Here is my opinion.. and I think Superdude and St.croix are on something here.. For swim jigs I use a 7'2" M action rod. With a MH I will guess you are hooking them a tad thin and thus the lost fish. I think of a swim jig as a spinnerbait without the blade.. I do use a rod with a little more backbone, but only slightly.

What do you mean by hooking them a tad thin?

What if I used my deep cranking rod (7' H moderate action avid)? Still a little over powered?

Thin, barely hooked in the lip, or not very deep or just skin hooked. I think your deep cranking rod would be a better option as long as its not too heavy. You want the rod to give when the fish hits so that its able to inhale the bait, if the rod doesnt give you will stillhave the same problem you are having.

The AT has a very sparse weed guard as it is. For a tight line moving lure I would go with a moderate action rod. Try the Avid crank rod with the same line. My guess is you will see an improvement. If you can stand it, try to pause a moment before you set. It gives the fish a chance to take another gulp and/or turn before you drive it home. Let us know if that helps. I sat in two seminars by Rich Forhan last February in North Carolina and got lots of good info from a seasoned pro. It really made me take a look at moderate action rods, and it has helped me.

Chuck

Update: Deitz was typing faster than I could, but he is 100% correct. Fast actions are great for dropshotting, jigging and worming - not so great for tight line moving lures.

7'- 7'3" fast action rod. 30# Power Pro. Very rarely ever loose fish. 15# Flouro if you do not like braid. 12# IMO is too thin of line and can break easy. 15# Flouro will do it with less stretch and better hook ups. We have has this discussion on line before. I personally use 30# braid in all situations from clear water to stained. Remember, the fish are hitting a reaction lure and want to eat it right now so IMO they could care less about seeing the line.

Also to light of action rod can result in lost fish. Most fish on a swim jig should and will set the hook them selves. If they throw the hook, most of the time it is because there gets a little slack in the line.

Hope this helps.

Use fireline or power pro,my fishing buddy and I laugh at how pathetic mono is at getting a decent hookset when using pig and jig or swim jigs. Is there something we are missing that "experts" know? Maybe more experienced bass fisherman (we have only been doing it four years) have learned to fish mono differently, but why you would use it is beyond us. Mono is only for drop shotting. Rod action more important for crankbait hookset.

I use mono for alot of applications, swim jigs being one of them, I used to use braid for swim jigs in junk but not anymore. I pulled a 5 and a 4 of out of heavy pads on swim jigs on Saturday I only lost one and that was due to being caught off guard more than anything. The only thing braid is for imho is Crig mainline and one slop rod. You just have to match your equipment to the application. You can get away with lighter wire hooks when you use mono, which facilitate better hooksets. You also lose less fish to torn out hooks with a stretchy line (mono or floro).

Also most real swim jigs have a sparse weedguard (fg12) and a lighter wire hook so out in open water the hookset doesn't need to be much even with mono, a true jig and pig usually has a stout hook and weedguard and can cause a bit of a problem if you set the hook like a Sally (even witrh braid) but if you have a good sharp hook and a decent hookset you shouldn't have problems with any line!

If you are used to throwing Flouro or Braid, Mono will be like throwing a rubber band. You can use Mono if you want for swim jigs, but when money is on the line I would not throw it. Braid on Swim jigs does not rip a big hole in there mouth like if you were flipping. Most quality swim jigs have light wire style hooks and a lighter weed guard. Most fish will set the hooks them selves and not much force is needed to tighten the line on them. The just fight them in. I have very rarely lost fish on a swim jig. Most fish I lost was when I first started throwing them and used Mono. Flouro does not have mush stretch and works good. 15# Flouro is best IMO if you are not going to use braid.

I think the big key is giving that fish a chance to eat the bait. When I first started this technique I lost my first couple fish from snapping them right away. After a bit of reading I started lowering the rod tip for about 3 secs after the hit and then ripping into them with 20lb power pro helped my bite to hookup ration alot

I ended up switching my line to 16# gamma fluoro since I really dont care for braid. Used the same rod/reel I figured I wasnt going to change everything at once I wanted to change piece by piece to try and figure out the weak link. Well I ended up doing better and lost alot less fish. Im suprised bumping the line up from 12 to 16 made a difference. Maybe 12 was fine and I was just having an unlucky stretch?