• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pool 1 flats

carper jr.

I have only seen those reg's posted at the Hwy 169 boat launch on the Minnesota River.

Hit or miss in that area for flats. Some on here know the area well and have had some success. The state record channel was supposedly caught up in that area, but there is a cloud of controversy around that. I think Steve D has those details.

IMO going down stream of the Ford dam is a much better option for a chance at getting flats. If you can figure out what "Honk Your Horn" means, that area might be a place to start. Have not been down their prior to Aug. 07 though. Things might have changed since.

Honk your horn is wide open now, has been all summer. But this guy's on foot. He'd have to use a shoe horn, I suppose.

Line limit? That's a good one. Oh! Yeah, certainly. There are some stretches restricted to 2# Ultralight from what I hear. Why just last week some guy up to Boom Island hooked something real good on that microthread, had it go on such a long run that he had to nurse it back up through both St Anthony locks. Fought that fish for most of the week, but lost it at the beach, he forgot to bring a net.

There are walkways along almost the entire length from Ford Dam to the Coon Rapids Dam on both sides of the river, both banks are nearly all parkland, with public access. Pretty easy to scout on foot, if one is willing to take the time. Use Google maps at maximum magnification to narrow your searches.

I take carpie jr out catting last week in a spot that I've caught channels over 10 and flatties of 50 and up have been landed. I'm using my big game rod with 65 lb power pro. He's insisting on using his bass (spinning) rod with 14 lb line. I told him he was playing with fire. He laughed. Carpie set the hook into the first bite and his panfish line broke like thread. I gotta give him some grief for that....

carper, I headed to onestop and I think there are a few people that work in your department that have access to some better fishing equipment if ya know what I mean wink Dr. Simons was my adviser.

Why not go below the Washington Avenue bridge? East River Road has some grassy set ups and the University owns a bunch of that property, especially down where the rowing team keeps their equipment. I fished it a few times back in the day, mostly carp and sheephead but I wasn't hucking anything flathead worthy either.

Try getting a ride on 94 to Dowling avenue and fishing near the launch over there. Not an ideal flathead reach, but at least you're in the ball park.

I take carpie jr out catting last week in a spot that I've caught channels over 10 and flatties of 50 and up have been landed. I'm using my big game rod with 65 lb power pro. He's insisting on using his bass (spinning) rod with 14 lb line. I told him he was playing with fire. He laughed. Carpie set the hook into the first bite and his panfish line broke like thread. I gotta give him some grief for that....

Indeed!

grin

In my own defense, we were fishing in daylight with quarter sized pieces of cutbait. So..seeing as we were, at that particular point in time, targeting 2 - 10 pound channels, I think a stout medium action and 14 pound braided line is perfectly adequate. Let it be noted that as dusk approached and I switched to live bait, I moved over to a flathead rig.

I used to think I was going to have a "Channel setup" with like 20 lb mono line and a weaker rod and reel...then I realized just because you're targeting smaller Channels doesn't mean that's what you will get. If I'm fishing for Channels and a behemoth Flathead comes along I want to be able to land it. I use 65 lb Suffix on my Channel stuff with a 8' MH rod and an Okuma ABF-50 reel.

You're never really targeting "2 - 10 pound channels" in the Minnesota River. You're out of your element Donnie....

you just never know what will be next a 2lb c-cat or the next 50lb plus flat thats whats so much fun about fishing the minnesota river its diverse nature from shad to flats and even muskies to carp. Its got it all you just have to look for it wink

Originally Posted By: Carp-fisher
You're never really targeting "2 - 10 pound channels" in the Minnesota River. You're out of your element Donnie....

you just never know what will be next a 2lb c-cat or the next 50lb plus flat thats whats so much fun about fishing the minnesota river its diverse nature from shad to flats and even muskies to carp. Its got it all you just have to look for it wink

That's what I'm talking about Elwood. I even thought that fish was a channel...that's until it figured out it was hooked smile