• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to buy new 20 GA O/U Shotgun

I have decided I want to buy a name brand, even if it will cost me a little bit more money. So far, I have found that I can't afford a Beretta, as they are typically in the $1,700-$2,000 range. I am looking for a new 20 GA O/U. After I decided I can't touch a Beretta, I think I have decided to go with a Browning. They are typically in the $1,300-$1,500 range. So far I have looked at the Cynergy and the Citori. Does anyone have any thoughts on these models? Which one is better? Why? Also, I have checked and it seems Gander Mountain has the lowest prices on guns when comparing them to Cabela's and Ahlman's down in Morristown. Anywhere else I should look for the best price on an O/U? Any info. would be appreciated. Thx.

I would checkout Scheel's if it isn't to far of a drive. There's one in St Cloud. I had a Browning Citori in 12 ga. It was my first O/U and very nice but way to heavy to carry all day as it weighed nearly 8 lbs. Not sure what a 20 would be. I also had a Franchi which I really liked. It was a two barrel set, 12 & 20. It fit me well and was much lighter. Tough on you for clays but much better to carry all day. I have a Beretta now and it is my favorite of them all.

I'm not sure but I'm guessing the action is basically the same between the cynergy and the citori. So it comes down to fit and feel between those two guns.

You seem to have focused on a Beretta initially. Maybe you tried a few and they seem to fit you right. If that's the case, you could look for a used Beretta too. That'd be the route I'd go. Use the internet and go nation wide in your search. If you find one you like call them and start asking questions. Have it shipped to a local FFL holder so you can look at it and handle it.

I have a Beretta 687 O/U in 20 gauge and it's an awesome gun. It's lightweight (6-6.5 pounds), responsive and perfectly balanced. I used that gun exclusively for several years and was a pheasant killing machine with it. I now use it for grouse and as a backup gun for pheasant.

I wouldnt give up on the Beretta. My wife bought me a 20 ga White Onyx last year, NIB, but with a small ding in the stock for 1299. The small ding doesnt mean didly to me, when I carry the gun daily in the field. Theyre gonna get nicked up if you use them , and this just takes the anxiety out of when its gonna happen. Plus, I got $200 worth of Beretta bucks to spend on new gun cases!

Edit:

Check the auction sites also. I just found a 20Ga White Onyx NIB W small ding for the same money wifey paid last year.

I see Franchi has a gun called a Legend. Not sure if this is a new gun from them but I don't recall that name. The one I saw was around $1,000 but it was a 12 not sure if it comes in a 20. I think the Fausti guns are in your price range but I don't know much about them.