• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

So I'm planning a possible trip to chequamegon bay in march and I just want to make sure I understand the licenses correctly. If I buy a 4 day license, can I pick the date it goes into effect or is it in effect as soon as I buy it? Also, do I need to buy a trout stamp and a great lakes stamp, or just the great lakes stamp?

This is what I would do, if your here fishing for four days.. If you are not going to target trout/salmon, go with the non-resident 4 day license. But, this will only allow you to fish for species other then trout and or salmon, and if you do hook and land any trout or salmon, it has to be immediately released.

If your intention is to target trout and or salmon, along with other species as well. Get 2, 2 day Sport Fishing License (includes your trout/salmon privelage). This will be cheaper at 28.00, then the 24.00 dollars you will spend on the 4 day license, plus the other 10 dollar great lakes stamp. I would say, get the 2, 2days and you will be happy.

Thanks for the tip. The 2 day deal sounds better, as I'll only be fishing half of friday and all day saturday.

I would be targeting anything I happen upon. Trout would be the main goal, but whitefish would be cool too, and I wouldn't be mad at all if all I got was a school of jumbos smile

That 2 day might turn into an annual once you get caught up in the fishing over there. Once I broke down and bought a license and finally started fishing wisconsin I really started getting into it and I cant believe I waited that long to try it. I'm a mn resident and now I probably fish more in wisconsin than I do in MN. But I suppose grand marais makes it a bit of a drive for you.

Anywho, how's the laker fishing in the grand marais area toward the end of september?

I've personally never fished for lakers up there in september, but I would imagine it's quite similar to june (when I'm always up there). Maybe they'll be even more active since they'll be gearing up for the spawn. But yeah, in june I've caught them shallower than 20 ft. In clear lakes I've even seen them swimming under the boat 15 to 20 ft down.

I wouldn't mind making chequamegon an annual trip, as I've said about grand marais, it's quite a drive, and it's VERY boring up there in the winter! I don't have a snowmobile, so most of the lakes I'd rather fish are unnaccessible to me. Ely is an option as well, but that's also a drive, and from the sound of it burntside lake get's lot's of people in the winter (especially in march).