• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

gas or electric fireplace?

mskyfshntchr

Question

Looking at putting a fireplace in the basement.

Wondering which is better- electric or gas (natural)?

I would have to add a line for the gas fireplace. If electric runs off of 110, I am ok. 220 would need to add.

Wondering which gives more bang for the buck- better heat for a cheaper price?

Radiates heat better?

Any other pros and cons of either?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

I am looking for the same answer! lol.

I have checked on those elec fireplace looking heaters at menards...not all that bad for cost.

I have LP to the house, and I would really prefer to not tap into more propane running (3500sf) already does a number on my propane bill smirk

I've got two gas ones one in the basement man cave and one in the living room. We like them alot . One thing nice about the gas is when you have a power outage you still have heat in your home , the blower just won't work. And I would recommend a thermasat.

Duel fuel options are smart. When gas went sky high, I saved a lot of $$$ every month by running electric fireplace in my last house. It was 1/3 the cost of the natural gas that winter. If you manage the electric to run off-peak, you save even more.

So explore options that ofter both, it may come in very handy to regulate your heating bills.

Agree. If your power company offers dual fuel electric heat then it might be good to explore the electric option. If they don't, electric heat at full price will most certainly be more expensive to operate than natural gas or LP gas.

I work in the fireplace industry. When people ask me about electric fireplaces I always laugh and say that there is no such thing. There is no fire in there. They should call them imitation fireplaces.

All kidding aside, I would highly recommend a quality and efficient gas unit. There are a wide range of efficiencys out there. Look for something in the 80% levels or better. You can actually save heating costs with them by heating the room your in rather then heating the whole home. At night turn the furnace thermostat up if you like.

You can actually save heating costs with them by heating the room your in rather then heating the whole home. At night turn the furnace thermostat up if you like.

Yes, and you can do it with a lot lower cost than plugging in one of those electric space heaters.

I would vote for the gas option. I installed one a couple of years ago and really like it. They put out quite a bit of heat to the room they are in, but watch where the thermostat is for the rest of the house as the temp rise from the fireplace can keep your main furnace from running and the rest of the house will get chilly. Check the cost for exhaust/chimney as well as it will be part of the installation.

I would vote for the gas option. I installed one a couple of years ago and really like it. They put out quite a bit of heat to the room they are in, but watch where the thermostat is for the rest of the house as the temp rise from the fireplace can keep your main furnace from running and the rest of the house will get chilly. Check the cost for exhaust/chimney as well as it will be part of the installation.

To solve this I have a "remote" with thermostate for my gas fireplace so I can regulate the temp to were I am in the room/house.

I agree with newoodhntr, go with propane or natural gas, if the power goes out you will still get some heet in the house and be able to heet up a meal if it gets to be a long time. I use to burn wood for that reason but I took out the wood burner and started with propane as a backup about 5-6 years ago. I have a fan but it will also heet without, and that's a nice feeling to be protected when you have a storm. Don't want the pipes or myself to freeze up.