• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

HSO Bear Photo's

Did anyone get there skulls scored? I got my skull back from the taxidermist about 3 weeks ago it was right at 12" long and 7 1/4" accross. So I think it is about a 19 1/4" bear. Not bad for a first timer wink

It is never hurts to have luck on your side.

I also just got my hide back from the taxidermist. I did not go the full rug but I still have that option for a year or so. It still smells like the tanning solutions use to tan the hide. Deffinitly got the right hide back from the taxidermist- broadhead cuts were in the right places grin

Now to figure out what I want to do with it???????

Good Luck this fall everyone

Later

Steve

Well I certainly hope yur grandson anchors him hard. Good luck to the both of your, when can ya hunt?

Thanks Boar and opening day is Sept 5th. Mom and dad are considering letting him take that day off so we can sit in the morning.

Thanks Boar.

P and Y is 18"

B and C is 20"

I used a nocturnal lighted nock and it helped make the recovery fast. thus not eligible for P and y. I will take the skull in for scoring if Average Joe's Archery has the scoring weekend again this winter. They kind of took this over after Sportsmans Warehouse left town. They have a nice shop in Coon Rapids.

I love the bear pics and bait site updates that you provide.

Later

Steve

Ok, thats it I quit, im moving to Wisconsin. Wat part of WI. u in?

Near Hayward but the guy that owns the property is only letting us hunt it because I transered my tag to my grandson. Otherwise he only lets close relatives hunt it.

And if you want to hunt WI be prepared to wait 8 years for a tag. I have no idea why the DNR wants so many bears around but the population is getting out of hand. My wife hit one with the car this summer and I had to come to a stop one morning waiting for one to get done dining on someone's garbage. That and our fawn population is way down.

Screw the lighted nock rule, u did not have an unfair advantage before the shot. Lighted nocks aid in recoverery not the shot. You made P@Y in my book. Nice job, I coulda made it to with a 19 3/16 but was thus inelegiable for the same reason.

Wow snooze you have bear/vehicle problems like we have deer/vehicle problems, yea ihear about the lottery over there dosent make sense to me, I guy can dream i guesse, maybe it will change some day. Again good luck to ur grandson. Good luck boys!

Have not seen many pics from the start of the season, so here goes. Saturday evening about 6:45 I heard an animal running, assuming it's a deer I look over my should and see the bear running to the bait. The bear hit the pile and started tossing the logs and had dinner. I hesitated for about 10 minutes not sure if I should take a shot. A lot of variables in play, I decided it was game over. With the shot, the bear bolted, fell in the dry creek bed, then scampered up the bank and tried to climb a tree. Not being in the best condition for a climb, the bear slid down and it was over about 10 yards from my stand. Great day, great hunt, great bear. Good luck to those still afield. full-24609-23980-photo(5).jpg

full-24609-23981-photo(4)_copy.jpg

Well, here is another. I had my step daughter walk in with me Saturday afternoon. Thinking since the bear was on the bait when I baited Friday afternoon that 2 in 1 out would be a slam dunk. Well it took way longer then I thought it would. I was sitting at 4:30 and waited until almost dark. I was watching the lite fade away and thinking to myself the bear is going to be a no show, I maybe have another 10 minutes and I will have to head out. It wasn't about 10 seconds later I caught some movement out the side window of my ground blind. Holy Carp!! There is the bear walkingg right down my trail to the logs. Watched walk in and then walk around to the back side of the logs. Dang it now he is facing. Had the old 12 ga. pointed and ready and after what seemed like forever(few minutes) he turned and started to climb up onto the logs. I let it rip and the bear jumped and took off running. I could here him crashing thru the brush for a ways and then silence. Called my wife and step daughter to come and help me track. Had good lung blood right at the site , but then we couldn't find any more. So we started working in the direction that he went and I kept crossing over where i thought he went. Finally good blood trail. Went about 80 yards and piled up between 2 birch trees. Now the work begins. Dressed out at 180lbs( I used the Boar's weighing system with the bathroom scale). My first bear, A good start for me. Thing had big paws and a big head.

full-18080-23991-picture010.jpg

full-18080-23992-picture022.jpg

full-18080-23993-picture023.jpg

Wow! chris that is so awsome! Verry happy for you. Three years in the making an redeemption is at hand! Sweeeet. Its yummy time, bear chili, bear burger, bear roast, bear stuf with bear meat an grilled bear with yummy bear topped with bear. Crazy awsome chris great job! Ha bathroom scale, forgot about that one, lol!

Congrats guys on the nice bears especially you jerkbait as I have followed along with all the questions that were asked on this site over the last few years and am happy you finally were rewarded with a great looking bear!!

Here's a couple from opening day. Both shot around 7:30pm by brothers. The one on the left was 275lbs field dressed and the one on the right was 230lbs field dressed. The one on the left had a massive skull and some huge paws (pic doesn't do these bears justice). I don't remember the last time we had 2 200+ lb bears on the same day let alone the same season. I saw a small bear on opening night at about 7:50pm but let him eat because he was of similar size to 2 that I've taken in the past. I maybe should've taken him considering I didn't see a bear the next 2 nights and might not be able to get out again this season. Another hunter in our group saw one opening day at 4:20pm but could not get a shot with the bow. He also didn't see another one on Sunday or Monday. He lives near our hunting location so he should be able to get out plenty more this season starting tonight. On opening day 4 of the 5 hunters in our group saw bears.

[Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]