• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear Shot?

TRZ II

why go away from the basics, heart/ lung area works for every other animal we hunt why not bear. tuck it in behind the sholder.

Spine??? some bears have 5 inches if fat, some have none thats a 5" guess based on what?? your guess of how fat he is. no way, to great of chance of wounding a bear

why go away from the basics, heart/ lung area works for every other animal we hunt why not bear. tuck it in behind the sholder.

Spine??? some bears have 5 inches if fat, some have none thats a 5" guess based on what?? your guess of how fat he is. no way, to great of chance of wounding a bear

I did suggest learning bear anatomy first. How about under penetration, fat sealing up wounds, heavy shoulder blades. I would not compare bear with other big game. I have tracked bear wounded in the chest cavity, I have not tracked those shot in the spine because they don't go anywhere.

Before I started my work in Black Bear research I was on my first bear hunt. It was my first time bear hunting. My rifle was an old model 99 Savage in 308 caliber. Long story short I ended up being stalked by a very large bear. As it closed in it began circling at about 8-10 feet. My first thought was to take a head shot. I shot, and the bear spun it's head around and ran away from me at a very high rate of speed. The bear lived ( with a patch of hair missing ) and I learned not to take head shots at mature bears. 3 Of us searched for hours and could not find hide-nor-hair, well some hair.

I'm a bowhunter so I always shoot heart/lungs. Bears don't even have the gusto that a whitetail deer does. When you hit them in the pumphouse, they don't go far. Personally I'll never take anything but a heart/lung shot even with a rifle or pistol. Most of my buddies are bowhunters as well, but on occasion we pull out the pistols or rifles when it looks like rain. The bear my buddy shot in the lungs with a .44 never took a step, it died face first into the bait. The one I shot in the boiler room with a muzzle loader took about 5 steps before dieing.

Where is the best place to shot a bear? I have heard head,shoulder and spine.

The BEST place is not the always the easiest. My son only takes spine shots. His first bear was a 225 pound Black Bear shot with a 30-30 in the spine. It dropped like a rock. His second was a 280 pound Black Bear shot with a 30-06 in the spine, It too went down on the spot. He has never missed or wounded a bear. Since the question was the "best" place I will stick with the spine.