• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Today my dad (fishnhuntboy's grandpa) passed away at the age of 89. His birthday was August 27th and that was my last words with him. I remember all the days while growing up in the '70's when he would take me fishing. We would go to one of his favorite lakes called Bass Lake (I think near annandale) we would unload the trunk and rent a row boat and put his Johnson 3hp on it. We would rent a boat from an old lady named Mrs. Hagen who owned a bar/store that would open up at 5-6am. The cost then was about $5.00. He didn't have all the fancy stuff just the basics and he loved to fish with live frogs and night crawlers. We would sit and fish for a few hours not catching bunches of fish but I had fun trying. We would also fish on the Mississippi where we lived South of St. Cloud. He loved it there being so tranquil and he could fish anytime.

To the baby boomers who went thru, lived, or did business in St. Cloud and ate at the O.K. Cafe restaurant downtown that was his establishment. He did lots of business from college students from the Red Carpet and other nearby watering holes.

So if you have parents still living tell them you love them. My dad wasn't the lovey dovey type so we didn't say it much. If you have burned some bridges with your parents think about trying to make amends. That is what happened to me for many years until we made amends a few years ago. He will be buried in his army uniform from WWII and laid to rest at the veterans cemetary in Little Falls.

my condolences bucket. There isnt any one good thing to say. My mother died when I was seventeen so I know how it can feel. The best advice I received was to make sure you let all of your emotioins out, especially all of your sadness. If you dont it can be stuck inside of you forever. Stay strong

bucketmouth64, Sorry to hear of your loss. I to lost my father in May and I can tell you the hurt is there to this day but I know he isn't suffering anymore and that makes it a little easier to deal with. Prayers sent your way, I know it isn't an easy time for you but keep your chin up and remember he is up there catching some great fish.........Kirk

my condolences bucket. There isnt any one good thing to say. My mother died when I was seventeen so I know how it can feel. The best advice I received was to make sure you let all of your emotioins out, especially all of your sadness. If you dont it can be stuck inside of you forever. Stay strong

My mother died in '78. So it is a weird feeling not having any of my parents alive.

thanks for the condolences.

Sorry for hear for your loss. I am lucky in that my dad is alive and celebrating his 69th birthday tomorrow. It was unfortunate that my mother passed away a year ago, so I do know the feeling of loosing a parent, and that isn't a feeling I'd wish upon anyone yet we all have to experience. I really like your advice on making amends if you've burnt bridges, and teling them you love them which is a common practice between my dad and I because of how important he is in my life. My thoughts and prayers are with you bucket.

When we moved from the city to the mississippi river it was practically heaven for him. Fishing anytime he wants right out the back yard. He found tranquility fishing and being in the boat. That is where I find my tranquility and just being out in nature. I also love fishing with my son whenever we have the chance. My dad gave my son his fly rod for him to learn to use. I do remember one time fishing I hooked him in his life jacket while casting. I thought I caught his ear. I'll also never forget the smell of his pipe. Something you don't see often. He smoked captain black.

sorry to hear of your loss I lost my grandfather 10 yrs ago but hes with me hunting and fishing all the time. I can feel his presence I have all of his guns one that is a wingmaster that I call gramps and after every downed animal or bird I sya thatnks grandpa