• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do they know

Wish-I-Were-Fishn

Question

10 answers to this question

I've recieved a questionare in the mail a couple of times. They ask you to fill out what you watch on TV or listen to on the radio during a week and then you mail it back. Its been over a year since I last did one so I don't remember everything it asks.

The cable and dish companies know what your watching and all of the new TV's have a small camera in them and they can watch you watching TV. Some of them even know when your digging through the fridge to get something to eat!!

That is funny!! grin so do they see me when I just watch in my underware??

icon_watch_tv.gif

In all serious now, the primary way they know what people are watching is that Neilsen selects families from all over the country to monitor what they watch. The families are of course willing volunteers and they install a box in their homes. I am not sure if they get paid for it or not. They use this sample size to determine the likely number of people watching each program. Mailings and phone surveys are also used but they do not provide real time data.

Actually there are many things similar to this such as families reporting what items they bought at the grocery store, what coupons they used, etc.

I used to work for a company that did market research like this and its pretty interesting. We had one division that paid people to watch television for the sole purpose of picking out and recording product placement within television shows. That info was collected and sold to competitors so they could keep track of what their competition is doing in the ad arena.