• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to Skin & Quarter up a bear?

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to do this? I think I will try it myself this year (if I get one). I have done many deer, but never tried a bear. Just wondering if there's any tricks I should know about. Thank you...

If you've done deer, it's really not any different other than it's alot greasier!! If you're planning on doing something with the hide you'll want to take some extra care when skinning...Personally, I prefer to hang em and skin and then just bone out the meat I want to save instead of monkeying around with quartering the whole animal...

bear is cut up much like a pork carcass. Skinning them is much like any other animal except if you want to save the hide it gets alittle tricky with the paws. Ya cut the pad and carefully go around each toe which, when exposed, looks much like human fingers and when they hang in the cooler they sure look like a human. Typically, bear is halved instead of quartered prior to processing. I've done a few but now I refer to another processor.

My first time I applied the same principles as you dress a deer, The I half it an debone in much the same manner. I just take the roast, back straps for steaks an the rest is pure ground bear burger. No sausage cause I cant tell the diffence between deer or bear with all the seasonings an smoking. Boar

It is extemely important to have a plan. You need get it to a processor or a cooler as soon as you can. Normally, it is quite warm around opener.

Have the processors number and know the hours. Hanging the bruin outside is not an option. With a little preplanning you will get many enjoyable meals.

tweed

I agree totally with deboning versus quartering. All of the meat except the backside of the shoulder blades can be removed while on the carcass.

Doing so will save a ton of space in the fridge/freezer and will also allow the meat to cool faster and more evenly.

If you are interested in saving the hide here is a great thread from a taxidermist.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...rmy#Post1987676