• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To shoot or not to shoot, that is the question.

96trigger

I have been pondering this for awhile. I would like to hear your take on the situation so here it is.

You know that there is a large buck out on the property you hunt. It is private land that borders stateland so essentially, it is mosly public. This buck will more than likely make the Boone and Crocket book. However, there are a couple of other bucks out there that will make Pope and Young, more than likely score in the 130's.

My question is, do you pass on the 130's and wait for the big guy? Or do you take the first 130 that walks in front. Keep in mind, this is basically on public land, private would be a no brainer. However, I will add that somehow, some of these bucks must find a way to survive the gun season, or they wouldn't get that big.

My take, I will have a hard time passing on the 130's.

My theory is your never gonna shoot the 170's if you shoot the 150's........... but untill you have some of the 150's...... who cares?

Fine if you pass on a 130 to wait for Mr. Big, but be prepared to eat tag soup in the end. The chance of success is VERY slim!

Bottom line is if YOU ARE happy with a 130, then its a no brainer, shoot the 130!

All i know is if you wait and wait the deer will either move on to better grounds, get hit by a truck or someone else will shoot him. I hunt in northern mn and was watching a very large buck around a 170 range for years. As time went on the deer was no where to be seen. I either credit it to the wolves or a vehicle.

As you are trying to decide remember that if you don't take this shot there are NO promises that you'll get another, at any of those bucks. Not that other hunters will either, but they might. Big bucks are tough to get close.

Elk (and turkeys) have tought me to always be ready to take advantage of opportunities, another may not come along til next year, if then.

It's your choice but be sure you're happy with the outcome either way. Sometimes letting them walk can be very satisfying in itself but then again so can a clean zip from an arrow!

Lets just say that he is not patterned at all, but I know where he is living, I can find him in this field or that field on the farm usually nightly, but not usually one specific spot. The others, are not patterned either, but there are a couple of them so the odds are better that one of them will walk by before the big guy does. I did arrow a nice buck two years ago, but that he is not the norm. I know the P & Y won't grow if I shoot them but I wouldn't have a problem shooting them. They are big enough, my problem is do I hunt hard for the big guy, even though I would be perfectly happy with the other deer..... well I guess I just answered my own question. I think that if I don't see him for awhile, the others will start looking great, its just that when he is around, they look so much smaller.

If you can't manage all the hunters in that area and have them let the 130's walk then I would also. Otherwise those public land hunters won't think twice about shooting the 130's, and they won't be back to run past your treestand the next time your in it.

The best thing I would do in that area would be to put in a false scrape and hang a timed scent dripper and hope that big buck claims it for you to shoot'em!

Hunting where you hunt 96, I'd wait him out until at least the 2nd or 3rd week of October. After that, he'll probably be on the move. It's not every season you have a booner roaming the woods. Now if I had a 130" show up on our property, an arrow would most definitely be on the way.

A 130-140 class deer is a pretty nice deer to pass up. If you can do it, good for you. I hope the big boy comes in for you.

To help you out, I think you should tell us exactly where this public land is. That way we will all be sure to stay away and leave all those bucks to you. Come on, if you post here do you really think anyone will find out? ; )

Good Luck with the monster!!

A 130-140 class deer is a pretty nice deer to pass up. If you can do it, good for you. I hope the big boy comes in for you.

To help you out, I think you should tell us exactly where this public land is. That way we will all be sure to stay away and leave all those bucks to you. Come on, if you post here do you really think anyone will find out? ; )

Good Luck with the monster!!

I was thinking the same thing smile LMAO

I have passed on borderline pope and young bucks and have yet to arrow a buck at all. A REAL booner is possibly a once in a lifetime opportunity, while you should be able to get other chances at a 130's buck in time. If you think he is really a booner, I'd have my goals set at that and nothing less. You can hunt a long time in the best whitetail habitat in the WORLD and not have a booner even alive, in the vicinity of the area you are hunting. My goal every year is to harvest the largest buck in my hunting area, you can't kill a deer that isn't there. Good Luck!!

Mike

I don't measure bucks by what they score P&Y or B&C. That means nothing to me. If it's big enough to shoot who cares what it scores. That's just me though. I don't need somebody to tell me it's a trophy because it scores x inches. It's strictly in the eye of the beholder. I think too many people get hung up on what a deer scores. Just my opinion.

Good luck! Be patient and take the one that gives you the best shot. It'll be a trophy no matter what.

I only gave the rough score to give them an idea of the size of the one, compared to the others. I more than likely will not enter another deer in Pope and Young, but I would do it for Boone and Crocket. Didn't mean to get you thinking I only cared about score.

My main point was that I have a few nice bucks running around but one that is heads over the rest. I don't know if people would have gotten the gist had I just said that.