Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
harvey lee

Butt cap

5 posts in this topic

I'm building a new cat rod for a fellow and want to do something different for a butt cap. I have thought of placing a quarter in the end of the handle. I'm using the thicker 15" handle and its flush on the butt end.

Any Idea's for something different?

Harvey there are lots of things that can be used for butt caps....fashion a wood "bulb", add a spent shotgun shell, a catfish pin, a fish hook, bottle cap, etc. Just let your mind do some thinking and you'll come up with something different.

I thought of a 12ga brass for the butt cap. Will it tarnish after time? What would I place over the brass to help keep the brass from tarnishing?

Maybe some epoxy over the brass on the end.

You can also do customized logos, pictures, autographs, etc...

MVC-052S.jpg

Lots of options Harvey. Check out hardware stores for cabnet knobs. Some realy nice stuff can be fabed into rods. Also look into coins. I recently bought a coin from an auction site that will go into a rod eventually. Its a Slovenian tolar. One side has three trout on it and the latin name for brown trout, i'll probably inlet that side facing out in a piece of wood for a fighting butt on a flyrod. Heres a pict. I did do a little searching for catfish and found a few grin I did put a spent caseing from a 35rem shell in a ice handle once and it hasnt started to tarnish yet. Built that rod for my dad, that was the gun he took his first deer with. Some clear epoxy should protect it well...

bymfhmkkgrhgohcqejlll1c.jpg

001pp.jpg