• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice on fishing line

kotadust

Question

I am getting my first baitcaster soon and would ke a bit of advice on what line would be the best to start out with on it for a beginer not necesarily looking for a poundage rating but a brand and type that will be more learning friendly thanks in advance

13 answers to this question

Gamma Copolymer or P-Line Fluorclear are good choices. Better then regular mono, but limper then 100% Fluro (and cheaper). I'm a big fan of Yo-Zuri Hybrid, but that seems very hard to find these days.

Also you might want to pick up some Reel Magic or KVD reel conditioner. It will help the line come of the reel better giving you some extra distance on your cast, so that way your line will be in the best shape as you get the feel for the baitcaster. That will feel reduce some of your backlashes (and yes everyone gets backlashes).

P-line is great for a beginner. I learned baitcasters as boy when it was Berkley or Stren Mono or braid (I learned on the mono.) I now use Berkley FireLine and love it but wouldn't recommend that until you get the feel for the baitcaster.

I love Fireline for spinning gear, it's on 4 of my reels right now. I tried it once on my two baitcasters and it was a disaster. Of course I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best with my thumbing technique.

I have just stuck with the 12 lb Trilene XL and it seems to cast well. Always an adjustment to remember I have to SET the hook again!

I have the same type of question...

My buddy has used powerpro on his baitcaster now for awhile. We will cast on lakes like Independance for bass and also be in the area for larger fish like Muskie and Northern. I have stayed with Mono - but he swears the powerpro is the way to go in case you get a bigger fish on. case in point, last night we were on Indy and caught a 30, 40 and 42 inch Muskie. All on the powerpro. He swears it doesnt effect the bass fishing when throwing lures like spinnerbaits or Mepps #5 etc...

I have stuck with the mono cause I have been afraid that a line like the fireline or superlines will show up more than Mono. however, I think I need to rethink those thoughts - as the presentations we are using dont require any kind of finesse. I think if I was using plastics like tubes or bouncing wacky works or senkos I would probably stay with Mono...but for casting larger baits and just reeling back - I am thinking I will go with on of the superlines - probably the powerpro. I do know that the fish he caught last night didnt require any major hookset - there was no 'give" in the powerpro...whereas I had a Muskie take my spinnerbait after a long cast..and I couldnt "set up" on the fish enough with the mono - it gave too much.

One other thing for you guys...how about fast trolliing for bigger fish? Do you like to stay with Mono to have a little "give" I have heard you want a little give with the mono - I also feel like I get my lures down deeper with the mono - and for many cases that is my goal...deep diving. thanks for any other suggestions and input!!

If you worried about a bigger fish breaking your line, maybe you should be more worried about your knot or how the toothy fish (pike and/or musky) take your bait.

I've caught close to 40" pike on 10 lb copoly and also on 6lb leaders while walleye fishing. Each time the line held up fine, as long as you play the fish properly. Fishing line is very strong, even the smaller test. Most fisherman that lose fish due to their line either have their knot go out on them, have a fray in the line thus weakening it, or getting the line snapped on a fishes tooth (in which case a leader would be the solution instead of heavier/stronger line).

Synthetics and braid are not unbreake able either. While they may seem stronger, I also think they weather more then fluro and copoly. I have fireline on a few reels and notice how it starts to fray and dry out and that can't be good for the line strength.

Basically what it comes down to is fish with what you feel most comfortable with. If you can do braid or fireline on a baitcaster, go for it. Personally, I hate it on my baitcasting, but I have a cousin would really likes it on his baitcaster. Is either of us wrong in our approach? Nope, just difference between different fisherman.

I would recommended using different types and sizes of lines so you can really find the perfect match to your fishing style and your liking.

I have all my baitcasters spooled with braid. I would put from 40 to 80 lb braid of your choice on. PowerPro is good, but others are too.

The higher strength is not to pull in the fish but to avoid a backlash leading to that shiny new lure flying away trailing a piece of broken line.

I hate it when that happens. Especially when it is an expensive new bait.

OK... but again, what about the fast trolling of plugs...larger ones for Norts.

Is mono better = giving a little stretch or is braid Ok if the drag is set back a little?

Will 10 pound mono run deeper than 10 pound braid?

I would like to get deeper without sacrificing strenght. I do not use steel leaders while trolling these larger baits...99% of hits are to the back portion of the bait and I am running a pretty good speed with larger profile lures.

Kotadust,

You'll become a competent baitcaster far more quickly than you think. Just remember that your thumb is the only cast control device that really matters.

Assuming you'll only have one baitcast rig (initially, anyway)from both a cost and practicality aspect during the learning process, I'd spool up with 14# mono. I recommend Trilene XT, but if you find something on sale go ahead and buy it--it won't make any difference. Mono is relatively cheap, and in the larger diameters it's relatively easy to solve "overruns". All lines, copolys, braids, fluoro, etc., suffer cumulative damage from birdnests, so it doesn't make much sense to use more expensive line types during the learning process. As a bonus, a 14# mono line will be fairly versatile while you're fishing during the learning process.

Once you're comfortable baitcasting, I'd recommend switching to a braid--maybe in the 30# range. Such line on a standard baitcasting rig offers a good amount of versatility with a range of lures. If you go with smaller pound tests, you may find that the line tends to dig into itself, and your casting may suffer.

If you do switch to braid, leave about 3/5 of your spool filled with mono, and fill the remainder with about eighty yards of braid. (The braid-to-mono connection is made with back to back Uni Knots. Check the www for instructions.)