• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Catfish Boat Question?

howellcanufish

I'm looking to purchase an inexpensive cattin boat and curious if anyone has any input on the setups available...jon or v bottom, 2stroke or 4stroke ect.

I found a 14' flat bottom jon w/a 5hp honda 4stroke and trailer for $875. Seems like a good deal to me. Is the 5hp too small a motor for that boat?

I'm looking to purchase an inexpensive cattin boat and curious if anyone has any input on the setups available...jon or v bottom, 2stroke or 4stroke ect.

I found a 14' flat bottom jon w/a 5hp honda 4stroke and trailer for $875. Seems like a good deal to me. Is the 5hp too small a motor for that boat?

Scratch that...boat sold. Now I'm in search again. Thinking probably 14' or 16' and 15 -25hp motor.

Whats ur price range I have 2 boats for sale right now... 14ft flat with 7.5hp merc, 14ft v-bottom w/ 18hp johnson

CHEAP!!! $500 Max. I know that sounds insane, but there are several out there that I'm close to purchasing soon. I'm looking for the guy who NEEDS to get rid of a boat quick and cheap.

Well I bought a boat yesterday. 14' Alumacraft with a 9.9 hp Johnson. Not the prettiest thing in the world, but that's exactly what I wanted. Check it out:

100_2906.jpg

On top of the new boat purchase I also broke my skunk streak and managed to hook up with a small flat that broke in the boat just nice!

100_2903.jpg

Howellcanufish, I see your in mankato. I too take my boat on the river (prop) I haven't been out in a few weeks, but with no plans on monday i might have to give it another try. I'm curious to see where you went with your boat, judson...land of memories. I'm trying to save my prop for fall fishing! Any info would be great, If you are interested you could go out with me sunday or monday.

Any boat is a nice boat!

Here it goes. This was my maiden voyage out on the river with my "new" boat. We picked up this boat about 5pm last night, ran to Gander to grab a few essentials...one NOT being a depth finder. I figured we'd be able to just wing it. We started out at Land of Memories boat ramp and headed up river, just in case our "trusty" motor doesn't perform up to our standards we could always float back down towards the ramp. All in all we did pretty well navigating around stumps and sandbars. That was until we made it a few miles up river and we noticed some pretty good swirling on top the water. Due to lack of experience I thought this is where we had some good current to plow through...I was wrong! Full throttle sling shot about 10 feet into a nasty sandbar with a good inch of water flowing rapidly over the top. It sucked! Light was getting limited and we hadn't even found our fishing spot yet. After a good 20 minutes of "you push with the anchor and I'll shimmy us backward with these super thrusts" we were loose. Dark was upon us and we set up about 40 yards away at a nearby deadfall. As stated above, we did break a skunk streak with the night but it was well deserved!

Howellcanufish, I see your in mankato. I too take my boat on the river (prop) I haven't been out in a few weeks, but with no plans on monday i might have to give it another try. I'm curious to see where you went with your boat, judson...land of memories. I'm trying to save my prop for fall fishing! Any info would be great, If you are interested you could go out with me sunday or monday.

Any boat is a nice boat!

Props are cheap to repair, and you can get them back in a few days. I have one that I run just for the river, and one I have for the lakes. Then when my river one gets so bad, I swap, and send it in.

I hear you on the lower units, not cheap or fun. I have a 18 foot with a 115 on it, this time of year it doesnt come off idle, but it still goes out. Really I am only afraid of getting the boat beached on a sand bar.