• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hollow Body Frogs

Aaron Carrell

After spending a good amount of time using frogs over the last 2 years I've began to wonder if I'm using them the most efficient way that I can. I'm curious how each you treats a frog and what kind of action you like to give it. I know plenty of times there are circumstances where you need to slow down and really let it sit 5-6 seconds to get them to take it, but assume normal conditions instead. How do you work your frogs 90% of the time?

Also, do many of you use the popper frogs? I've come to really prefer the Spro Poppers this year over a normal frog, though sometimes they collect scum over the popper area too fast which can be frustrating. Do you work these popper frogs quick or pop and let it sit?

This is pure gold, so you can take it to the bank:

The popper frog is the best open water frog, and also for open pads, etc. It skips and walks the best.

For mat fishing(matted hydrilla or milfoil), the snag proof bobby's perfect frog is the best as it has the best hook up ratio. There's really not much of this type fishing in MN, but figured I'd let you know anyways.

As for how to work them, every day is different. Mix it up and be observant and that's it.

And that's everything you need to know.

I like the solid buzz frogs, then when they miss which is 50/50 I give them a change up and toss a jig or ifn' I can a senko. Or a crankbait like I did this weekend and on the 3rd cast I caught the stinking pike that ripped the leg off my buzz frog.

I haven't used the popper style, but I do have the regular spro frogs and normally it's a slower presentation, but the 21.25" I was working it very aggressive - (kinda messing around actually) then wham, so ya never know.

Well, it sounds like everyone has pretty much the same habits as me. I typically use a Spro Popper but when its really thick I'll either use a Spro Bronzeye or Snag Proof (depending on what action I want). I feel like sometimes I'm working it too fast, but quite often I'm doing exactly what Cecil mentioned. I work it fast through an area, trying to cause a commotion essentially and then if I have a blowup I really work it more thoroughly and slowly.

I've probably caught 30-40 fish on frogs this year (with half over 18" pretty easily) so far and its amazing still how much I can learn on the next outing that they're hitting. Easily my favorite way to bass fish, but I have to admit that its not always the most efficient method if you're looking for good #'s.

Oh yeah, and that 21.25" in my avatar came on a Spro popper last night. smile

Well this is an interesting guestion... I asked this to my partner because he fishes a frog way more than me and also shared the boat with Bobby Lane on a frog bite in a tournament. He told me that he fishes it with a constant jiggling retrieve. I will say it works well! Oh yeah, and always look for baitfish in the corner of your eye! smile

one thing i have learned is to make a ton of casts. if you are fan casting an area that looks good and you are leaving frog tracks, go back and try to split the old tracks. i have caught alot of fish on casts that are only a couple of inches from a preivious cast. even the same trail can yeild a strike on the second time through. i feel that the bass tucked under the mats, especially on really hot days, are mostly there to keep cool and will not activly chase a frog. but, if you put it on there nose, it is a low risk-high reward meal.

i fish my frogs with the same cadence as a popper. then slow down as much as i can if that is not producing. gonna throw a frog tonight!

I try all methods with my Spro frog. lots and lots of casts, all kinds of speeds and pauses. the one thing I always try to do is get that little guy to stop just on the edge of a hole in the pads. Ill let him sit there for quite some time and then hop him right in the middle of the hole.

Started trying frogs this year ... they are a blast! Besides experimenting using various techniques listed above, my single biggest impact on my success has been getting a longer more powerful rod (7'6" flipping stick - Fenwick HMG) and using a high speed baitcast reel with heavier braid (acually one of my muskie reels - Curado 300DSV w/ 65# PP. I've had much better hooking percentage with Tourney Scum Frogs over the Spro's (being a log cheaper as an added bonus).

For mat fishing(matted hydrilla or milfoil), the snag proof bobby's perfect frog is the best as it has the best hook up ratio. There's really not much of this type fishing in MN, but figured I'd let you know anyways.

I'd have to dissagree. I think in the west metro there is a ton of milfoil close to the surface not to mention thick pads that that type of approach you discribed would work. I use alot of moss mice, scum frogs, and rage tail toads and shad with success.