• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

September Morson reports

Helloooo?

Anyone out there?

Man this has been a quiet summer for actual fishing reports. Have people lost interest in this site or are we just fishing less?

I'm heading up for a little blast (goose) and cast over Labor Day weekend. Anyone actually been on the water during the past week or so? It's been a couple weeks for me. I'm guessing we might still see a little reef action for walleyes but that there may be some weed fish and even current fish, too.

Will report back Tuesday.

Only 8 days 'till ducks!!!!!!!

P.S. Hey B-dude, you learn to hit anything with that fancy Itallian shotgun yet?

didnt fish much but I did get up for 2 days. only got a couple hours of fishing in. Got to see Wildthing and his family and hang out with my family as well. Beautiful evening yesterday on the water. had a fishfry and got to eat some goose on the grill taken a couple days ago by a few hunting buddies up there. Duck opener is this next thursday up there, seen more woodies than anything. Heading back up on friday afternoon. hope the weather is good.

Got up Friday and had good fishing Friday and Saturday. We found walleyes and some jumbo perch on wind blown points w/rip rap shorelines. We caught them with jigs and minnows in 8-12 feet. Sunday morning, the wind blew strong and died down at night. Sunday evening and Monday morning, we fished reefs west of Manitou. We caught walleyes in 18-20 feet on jigs/minnows along with some bonus crappies. Biggest fish for the weekend were a couple of 21 inchers and a 24 incher with some nice 14-17 inch eaters.

Saw some really nice flocks of geese on the field at Hwy 621 and Lighthouse road and also saw some geese by Fish Narrows and east side of Burrows Bay.

Back up in two weeks.

Had a good few hours Saturday between wind gusts and chores, 23'' was biggest. Only used crawlers on bouncers and only on reefs.

On Sunday it was very slow. Perfect weather. After a windy morning it calmed down pretty good and we tried reefs, shoreline and current in the afternoon with only a few small fish. Probably the worst day of the summer and it should have been great. Very odd. Saw the fish on the locator but could not get them too bite. Maybe it's time to go back to minnows or something.

Monday did duck scouting and didn't fish. One duck camp did well on geese over the weekend.

Heading back up tonight to hunt.

Fished Fri-Sunday, 2 boats, 4 guys and we caught 100 walleyes each day. Biggest was 26", also had a 24", 2-23" and numerous 20-21". Most were caught on a jig and a minnow, some on a jig and GULP.

WT,Sunday morning was difficult for us as well. Fished turned on when the wind subsided mid to late afternoon. We had a stretch from 4-5 o'clock where it was pretty constant.

Majority of the fish were caught in 24'-30' FOW, off deepwater reefs.

Unfortunately, that was my last trip up for the year. Start hunting in Manitoba and North Dakota shortly.

Up Wednesday night to Sunday noon but never fished. I've kind of lost the fishing urge for a while. Did complete a major project on the cabin that took way too much time, effort and blood! (Don't ask!)

Anyhow, water temps hit 73 degrees on Saturday. What incredible weather.

Others were catching gobs of walleyes on the rock shores and reefs and some very nice crappies, although not in the usual spots.

Pretty slow duck opener, but to be expected with 80 degrees. We shot a few ducks and geese over the water -- ringies, teal, wigeon, woodies, a very few mallards. No rice. What a bummer. The guys have been doing really well in the fields.

Back up on the 23rd and hope for some new ducks to move in.

Thanks for the info B-dude! My buddy has a 21' Skeeter with a 200hp. When I said 'shut down' I was referring to it being closed for the season, bu tmaybe they don't even do that... maybe nature closes it when it ices up.

Got home Thursday. Some of the best walleye fishing we had all year. Good sizes of fish. Bottom bouncers with gold spinners and minnows or crawlers. Shoreline points east of Morson, 15-25 FOW. Brought back three limits of crappies and a lot of BIG perch. Slowest duck huntiong we had in years. No rice anywhere. Still got some ducks and four geese. Heading back on the 1st for the final trip of 2009.

What's with the crappies?! Guys are finding them in places never seen before.

We're heading up in a couple hours. Will report back Monday. Plan was to hunt all day every day but that ain't likely now: 75, calm and sunny every day!

Looks like I'll be forced to fish.

Woe is me.

Wthing

P.S. Dmoore: Try hammered Brass, not gold! Huge difference! (LOL) Glad to see there are some other b-bouncer/spinner heads out there, not all jig junkies!

We have been catching crappies all over the lake. Crazy. Actually, we use hammered Brass. Hammered copper has proven very good also. We fish jigs at times, however my wife doesn't like getting snagged and retying jigs, so we have been sticking to bouncers. Consistently they have been producing. We move alot and I think that is part of the secret. We work a lot of shorelines. We will be heading up on the 29th for two weeks. Hope to talk to you.

Richard

We had a quick Friday-Sunday weekend. Got out Friday night, all of Saturday and an hour Sunday morning. We found plenty of eater walleyes off of points leading into deeper water or along rip rap shore with healthy weeds. We used jigs and minnows and jigs and crawlers. Every fish we caught was in 10-15 feet. We also fished deeper water in traditional fall spots, but couldn't get them to bite - there were fish there - but were suspended. Water temp was 65-67 degrees. Fished Hay island for crappies, but couldn't find them from 40 to 14 feet - but then caught them mixed in with walleyes in 14 feet. Go figure.

Saw quite a few ringbills south of Rabitt along with a few geese. Back up Friday - I would guess the fish should move off transition spots with the colder weather and dropping water temps.

Went up Wednesday night, back Sunday afternoon.

Hunted Thursday, Friday and Saturday mornings and got some ducks, mostly ringbills, some redheads and several geese. Had a nice little shoot saturday morning, nicer groups. Saw almost no mallards. Reports are that there is no rice even in the beaver dams. But the "other'' bills are on the lake!

Ate duck and goose each night, some incredible recipes. Mixed in a few crappie and walleye as well. Fish and fowl combos.

We also caught some very nice walleyes up to 26.5'' STILL ON THE REEFS! On top! 8-12 feet of water. Water temp Thursday afternoon hit 70 degrees. Flat calm Thursday and Friday afternoons, perfect weather. I love flat calm out there for walleye!

I'm sure this cold front will mix things up quite a bit and the fall patterns should start soon.

It was a great trip to be up there with my wife and NO KIDS! We got the wood pile split and lawn mowed and fished and hunted the rest of the time. Bonfires at night. Perfect.

It doesn't get any better than that in my book.

Back up in 10 days or so.

P.S. had a FIRST TIME event on Friday afternoon. Dragging a spinner over a reef, felt a little snag and thought I lost my minnow. So I reel in as fast as I can (the trolling motor is still spinning) and just as the bottom bouncer clears the surface a fish grabs the minnow and clears the water. it was a WALLEYE!!! he must have been chasing that thing at 25 mph and by the time he smacked it he was out of the water. How he stayed hooked is amazing. 23.5'' I've never seen a walleye jump before.