• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

you ever wonder why?

bottom-bouncer

Long periods between practice shooting is what hurts me. I find I really need to practice almost every day or every other day in order to stay real solid. A few guys at work and I shoot during lunch a few days a week and that really helps. I can sure tell when I've had 3 or 4 days off without shooting. I can also tell there is just some days I'm more focused then others. One nice thing with shooting with a partner...sometimes they can notice you doing something out of the ordinary that may cause the issue.

I think there is a mental aspect as well and it's related to confidence.

I don't shoot as often as I used to (or as much as I would like) for family reasons. I typically start shooting again in the early summer and the first few times out can be frustrating. I've learned to not read too much into the first few sessions and just shoot to get better. Also for me when I move back to 50 yards and I'm placing all of my shots in the kill zone on a target, it greatly increases my confidence when attempting to make a 25 yard shot.

I know I make much better shots when "I know" I can make the shot.

Practicing is great, we all need to do it but each shot causes wear to your bow effecting your shots. I think often slight changes in form cause most poor shots like dropping your arm. Practice develops muscle memory to maintain consistency. But often sudden changes are mechanical, rests wear, strings stretch, etc. Like riding a motorcycle, the more you ride/shoot the more time you need to spend on maintenance.

Concentration gets me when I practice. When focused I nail it but when this 10 hour a day interruption (work) creeps into the back of my head, I'm not as accurate. Hmmm, I think I know how to solve that...

It can really be either.

The mental part is when you get a little sloppy on your anchors, your grip, or not holding your draw against the wall when you shoot. My shooting was sloppy on Saturday so I went back on Sunday to shoot alone and found all of those were things I was doing wrong.

I'm good to 60 now. smile

My buddy just went through the same problem you're describing and found out his bottom limb delaminated. His bow is in the shop waiting for a new pair to be put on.

Hope you find out what's causing you problems.

Wanderer your buddies bow didn't happen to be a bow tech did it I just had mine replaced for that same reason.

Nope, it's a Hoyt. About 4 years old. He thinks it was a delayed failure from when he hit his deck rail while practicing last year. But that's just a guess.

I have another friend that has a Bow Tech at least 4 years old. He has never reported a problem. Hope it stays that way.

I had an old Matthews Ultra Light that had a cable guard that would come loose without warning and my groups would suddenly fall off. Couldn't take it anymore so I gave it to my brother and picked up an LX. Only problems with that one has been me. whistle