• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are There Trout Streams In Heaven?

Driftless

May I ask what favorite stream you are no longer allowed to use live bait? There are only a handful like this in southeast MN. In heaven, Trout Unlimited cannot overstep their bounds and tell people how they can or cannot fish.

May I ask what favorite stream you are no longer allowed to use live bait? There are only a handful like this in southeast MN. In heaven, Trout Unlimited cannot overstep their bounds and tell people how they can or cannot fish.

Before you come down too hard on Trout Unlimited, put in a few week-ends working at stream clean up or rehab or attend a banquet or write a check to keep streams open and trout in the streams.

THEN you can take a poke at Trout Unlimited.

Life member and ex Chapter Pres.

Thank you for your attention.

So just today the next door neighbor kid who I grew up with emails me a forwarded reply of my blog, asking for tips on good trout fishing for he and his two young kids on Friday. Does not want to drive to far. Wants something easy, not bushwacking.

My first thought was Hay Creek. Pasture section. Easy hiking for kids. Get them introduced to the sport. Honestly my bet is they cannot cast worth a darn. It would be best to toss some crawlers in some deep holes of HI sections. Then I remembered, no live bait allowed. Next suggestion would be Trout Run, below Bucksnort Dam. Nice easy pasture section. Recent HI work. Opps, no live bait. Guess I'll suggest Whitewater Valley - plenty of secret spots to share to only those close to me.

As a former TU president, I'd like to know what the big deal is about worms? All of these designated "no bait" areas are streams with 3000-8000 trout/mile. So what if a few are gut hooked? In my opinion, these areas need to be thinned out to make way for a few larger trout. Why is is every major TU project almost guarantees that the DNR changes the regs to "no live bait." Thank God us bait fisherman have more rights than WI. In WI you cannot use live bait during the pre-season catch and release. In the Vermillion catch and release area you can use live bait. Guess I have TCTU to thank for that.

My beef with TU is that they embrace fly fisherman, frown on treble hook spin fisherman, however have zero tolerance for bait fisherman.

Quote:
I fish with worms, spinners, chub tails, flies, rapalas, and jigs.

I am an equal opportunity angler. I am certain worm anglers

are allowed in heaven.

TU should embrace all types of fisherman. HI sections are perfect sections to take kids. Dang near golf courses, kind of nice.

Part of this issue with live bait is the high mortality rate. It is easy to gut hook a large fish that otherwise may be released. On some marginal metro streams, the last thing we need is big trout turning up dead with a hook in the throat.

That being said, there's certainly some elitist attitudes in TU.

Mark,

I would suggest you send your neighbor down to the Whitewater area. There are a ton of big pools that are perfect for newbies and kids. The area fishermen also seem more "acceptable" of newbies than along other streams too.

Scudly I don't think T.Unlimited ever insists on an entire system being catch and release or no live bait. And if you'd attend the next Chapter meeting I'll bet you discover there are other worm danglers and lure guys there. But many of them have probably replaced the treble hooks with single hooks because they have learned that (a)they actually hook better and (B) it is easier to release fish.

And keep in mind-there are probably cricks you fish that might not even HAVE trout if T.U. wasn't out there fighting for fish and water.

Nobody in TU wants to take away your worms or spinning gear. What TU does want is your help. Then too, if you are INSIDE a TU chapter you can always argue against more closures and restrictions you don't support.

Have fun-enjoy the beautiful streams.

Live bait is every person choice.

We all set up our own peramiters for how we want to fish.

We need laws because some peoples peramiters include dynamite.

In my opinion Live bait is too easy. I have a friend who gets a Very big trout virtualy every time he goes. Some times multiple large trout, with live bait. Lakes and rivers all around the area N and S MN/Wi. That's ok as long as he stays in the law. I get more satisfaction catching a ton of fish on my three wt. It's all relative. You can use 10lb test for sunnies too if you think that's fun fine. I've lost a good number of fish the bait and spinn guys would have landed. I think mine were bigger cause they got away. But I love the "one that got away" stories. And the few good ones I have caught...? The satisfaction is that much sweeter.

I guess my rambling is heading towards Stay in the law, have a blast and leave me alone if I have some legal methodes of fishing that you think are wierd. We need to work at this together or we'll loose it. Minn used to be duck heaven. Now, it's closer to the other place.

If I use worms I intend to keep the trout I catch.

Worms are NOT good for C/R. I catch my three trout

and get off the water immediately.

Most small kids start trout fishing with worms. Children need

immediate gratification or they will play their game stations instead. If worms are not allowed in places many new young anglers will just skip trout fishing.

My daughter caught her first trout on worms.

If the WDNR thought worms were that bad **THEY** would outlaw them. I get quite annoyed when people put "their" regulation on top of the WDNR regs.

Trout are not toys. Trout fishing began as a food gathering task and now has morphed in to golf....fishing....and arts and crafts.

Catch and release is a management tool....NOT a religion.

Quote:
And if you'd attend the next Chapter meeting I'll bet you discover there are other worm danglers and lure guys there.

I've been to several TCTU meetings and NEVER found a worm or spin anger. 100% fly fisherman.

TU has messed with the regulations way too much. So complicated that trout anglers numbers have drastically decreased since special regulations have been introduced. To the fly angler, they don't need to worry about memorizing the regs because they are all catch and release.

Case in point

TroutDemographics.jpg

This came from an April 2008 report by Trout Unlimited: The Economic Impact of Recreation Trout Angling in the Driftless Area. You will notice less than 3% under the age of 20. Bunch of rich old men. Vast majority are now fly anglers who do NOT harvest fish.

Don't get me started on "catch and release." Do the match. Abundance of trout with limited food and forage and 93% of the trout being released. If anything, HI sections should encourage harvest, not prevent it.

That's what they've done to waterfowl. Complicated the *&$# out of it. D U has been "saving" the ducks for years. Now we have woodducks that are gone by the time the season opens, mallards that migrate into town after the first volley goes off, and a diver population that is so low that you need binocular eyes before you dare take a shot for fear of a $200 ticket for an honest miss-identification. I understand the need for wise management, but people are afraid to give it a try for fear of getting hammered.

Well, I'm not a rich old man and neither are the guys who I fish with. I can tell you that. Also, I use a fly rod. Wait, a second...here it comes...I'm also a member of TU.

Apparently, TU is not all rich old men. Thank you for your stereotyping!

Yeah you are right so haaad. Looking forward to the three day weekend.

I'll be at this pool at 5:30 am. 30' diameter and 15' deep on the back right corner. Caught several 14" brookies and the browns in there are really fat. Best brown is 16" but they have big shoulders. I bet there are bigger in there....

WI+July+09+007.jpg

Next pool up. Another pool for brookies and browns. Got a 15" brown out of here. Best he is still there. You can catch one brookie after another after another between these two holes. Last time I was out I landed 35 fishing three hours.

July+010.jpg

Best thing about it is it is private land. I have to walk through a guy's back yard to get to it so nobody fished it but me. Talked to the landowner who said he has been too busy himself. Neighbors don't fish either.

It is my little slice of heaven!

Wow, 15 feet deep?!? You almost need a Vexilar in waters that deep! grin I don't like discussing stream names or specific locations on the internet, but I'm guessing you'll be "south of I-90" again in the land of germans, beer and wineries. I'll be "north of I-90" hitting the roads (and streams) less travelled. Good luck!

Is western WI, about an hour from the TCs. A stream we don't mention because it is too good to be true.

Let's just say the Rush cannot even come close in comparison. Tons of big brookies and giant browns when you find the right holes. Last year I fished the Rush 20 outings a season. This year I've fished the Eush a total of three 1/2 day outings. That good. One of those places I just cannot share, at least to the masses. Wish the PMs were free on this site. Not willing to pay for PM

service ...

Mark, your pictures remind me of a couple of streams that I know. Like you I've been fishing other waters other than the Rush. Alright, I better zip it...maybe we can share a few stories through email at another time. I'll be down there Sunday and Monday at least, so say hi if you see a dark blue Grand Cherokee.