• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early Goose Aitkin MN are threre Geese up there?

it could be but I havent been up that way in a while. I've got a buddy in Glen thatsaid there was quite a few birds around but that doesnt alway mean anything.But you have what sounds like a good spot to atleast check out hay feild and the river if thats what they want they'll be there

It sounds like it has potential to be a decent spot. But you said "leased for bowhunting", you should make sure your landowner is ok with you setting up and shooting geese on his field.

Sometimes landowners get a little worked up about people assuming they can hunt everything when they have a "specific" lease. I have had spots were when they said "bowhunting" that ment just that, and only that.

Lets hope so. Ya the owner is fine with hunting everything, the only catch is that it can only be the two of us on the lease. There is an oxbow on one side and the river on the other. Do you think that land or water would produce the best results?

it could be but I havent been up that way in a while. I've got a buddy in Glen thatsaid there was quite a few birds around but that doesnt alway mean anything.But you have what sounds like a good spot to atleast check out hay feild and the river if thats what they want they'll be there

My dad lives on Clear Lake, he says there are a ton of geese using hay fields around Glen.

I live a little north of Aitkin. The geese up here find the best hayfields to feed in, or don't use them at all with all the wild rice we have around here. I do see geese in the fields around Aitkin. It's a little diffferent around here, unless something is planted the geese will head to a rice lake in the morning and won't even go to a field. If you get up here today before it's dark and they're not in the field, there is a slim chance it's getting used. There is a good number of geese around the Aitkin area though, if nothing you should be able to get some shooting on the Mississippi.

I have a shack just north of McGregor which is just east of Aitkin. I hunted last weekend over water. The geese weren't in their normal pattern for this time of year. Usually they head to the fields around 9 and come back between 10 and 12 poor into the decs with a bit of calling and they are in the freezer before they know it. This year the birds weren't going to the fields. I'm not sure if it is the good rice crop that satisfied their diet or if the soy beans they usually hit are a bad crop. It really messed up our hunt. The geese were content with sitting on the water all day. We had one flock of 35 who wanted in bad but got wary by the ricers 75 yards away who didn't have enough curtousy to sit down while the geese worked. Frustrating weekend but always fun to get out. To answer your question I would consider hunting in an HSO field a waste of time.