• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon 7D and three new lenses announced

Rob Galbraith has a long piece talking about how well all the features worked when he put a pre-production model with beta firmware through its paces.

All I can say is WOW!

Here's a brief rundown of the 7D:

* It produces 17.92 million pixel photos from a 22.3mm x 14.9mm self-cleaning CMOS sensor; the focal length cropping factor is 1.6x, relative to a full frame camera. The 7D accepts both EF and EF-S lenses

* The body is similar in appearance to an EOS 50D, though at 5.8 x 4.4 x 2.9in (148.2 x 110.7 x 73.5mm) it's slightly taller, wider and more comfortable in the hand. At 28.9oz (820g) for the body only, weight is almost identical to the 5D Mark II.

* Viewfinder coverage is 100%; a transparent LCD overlay is used to display/hide AF points and grid lines

* It shoots continuously at up to 8fps for a Canon-specified 126 Large Fine JPEG with a memory card that supports the faster UDMA data transfer protocol, or 94 when a slower card is used, as well as 15 RAW or 6 RAW+JPEG frames. (With a SanDisk Extreme IV 16GB card inserted, we were able to squeeze off 19-20 RAW frames in succession at ISO 100.) The camera can be set to shoot at 3fps also

* The sensitivity range is ISO 100-6400 in 1/3 step increments, plus H (ISO 12,800). The Auto ISO range is 100-3200. It's not possible to choose a maximum aperture or minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO

* Basic performance specifications include a 59ms shutter lag, 0.1 second camera startup and 100ms mirror blackout times (these figures are identical to the 50D)

* An all-new AF system in the 7D that features 19 cross-type points (covering roughly the same frame area as the 50D's 9-point system), five distinct AF modes and clever AF configuration options

* Ambient and TTL flash metering is handled by an all-new 63 zone meter that includes two colour layers. Exposure calculations incorporate data from the new metering sensor as well as all 19 AF points for promised more consistent and accurate exposures from frame to frame. The 7D has four metering modes: Evaluative, Center-weighted, 9.4% Partial and 2.3% Spot

* Shutter life is rated at 150,000 cycles. The top shutter speed is 1/8000, while the standard top flash sync is 1/250. Canon High Speed Sync flash is supported

* The 7D's built-in flash gives coverage to lenses as wide as 15mm, recycles in 3 seconds at full power, has a guide number of 12/39 (ISO 100, meters/feet), includes both automatic and manual output modes and can serve as a wireless TTL controller for remote Speedlites

* Flash exposure compensation can be dialed in on the camera body. The compensation range is ±3 stops in 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments

* An electronic level in the camera detects both pitch and roll; with it, you can level the camera both left/right and up/down, using a display that appears in both the viewfinder (repurposing the AF point markings for this) and on the rear LCD

* Video capture is an evolution of the EOS 5D Mark II's video capabilities. The 7D offers up to 1920 x 1080 pixel (1080p) video capture with the option of connecting an external stereo mic, the same as the 5D Mark II, plus both manual and automatic exposure modes. The new model tweaks capture rates so that video can be more readily synchronized with separately-recorded audio, rolls in additional frame rate and resolution options (including 60fps at 1280 x 720 pixels), ups the audio sampling rate slightly and incorporates in-camera video trimming

* The rear LCD is a three inch (diagonal), 920,000 dot TFT with a reinforced glass cover (all previous Canon digital SLRs have utilized clear resin covers) and an optically-clear filler that eliminates the air gap between the cover glass and LCD component. This helps both strengthen the cover and limit contrast loss in bright conditions

* Live View is implemented in a manner similar to other recent Canon digital SLRs. It operates at 30fps for smooth live viewing, includes 5x and 10x zoom settings and three AF options, none of which provide continuous focus. The 7D incorporates a dedicated button for starting and stopping Live View operation. (The same button is also used to start and stop video recording, and a two-position switch just above the button toggles between video and still capture modes.)

* A revised button layout on the back, a new M-FN button on top and unparalleled customization of many button functions make the 7D a breeze to personalize to your shooting style

* Image- and video-related settings in the camera include Canon's full complement of Picture Styles, sRGB and AdobeRGB colour modes plus High ISO Noise Reduction, Highlight Tone Priority, Auto Lighting Optimizer and Peripheral Illumination Correction

* Connection ports include USB 2.0, an N3-type remote socket, PC sync, 3.5mm stereo miniphone mic jack, Type C HDMI (up to 1080i resolution is supported), NTSC/PAL video out plus an extension terminal on the base of the camera for a wireless transmitter

* The 7D accepts CompactFlash Type I/II memory cards and includes support for UDMA up to Mode 6

* Power is courtesy of the 1800mAh Lithium Ion Battery Pack LP-E6, which is charged with the included Battery Charger LC-E6. This battery and charger are identical to those supplied with the 5D Mark II

* Optional accessories include Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E5/E5A and Battery Grip BG-E7

Lenses

# EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro This is the first lens to utilize Canon's recently-announced Hybrid IS, which compensates for both angle and shift movement during the exposure and is rated to provide stabilization equivalent to bumping up four full shutter speed steps. It's also an L-series lens; its non-IS predecessor is not.

# EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Replacing the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS in Canon's lineup, the new lens is both wider and faster at the wide end of its zoom range. Its image stabilization is rated to be equivalent to bumping up four full shutter speed steps. We used a beta unit of this lens on the 7D and quite liked it. The build quality is good, the zoom ring turns smoothly while optical performance is decent.

# EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS This lens fills the gap in Canon's consumer lens line between the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. As with the new 15-85mm, image stabilization is rated to be equivalent to bumping up four full shutter speed steps. This lens does not use an ultrasonic focus motor.

No dual slots and on pre order at many sites for 1699. I think I will have to wait until tax refund time and see how the reviews go. From what I have read it would be the perfect compliment to my current setup. Really hoping to see good things from this camera.

Crossing my fingers... Steve, did you pre-order one or are you going to wait as well?

For the price they are going to sell at, it seems a kick in the shorts for 5DII buyers.

Not in my budget, friend, although if it was I'd just preorder and be done with it. I don't need to wait for the reivews to know I'd want it. Only question that remains unanswered is how clean the high-iso images will be from production models. Word is they're about as clean as 50D images, and with the in-camera NR like the 50D available as well on the 7D, and the 50D producing usable iso6400 images with in-camera NR set on "strong," I've no doubt I'd be happy enough.

I'm also excited that the camera's pop-up flash will act as an off-camera flash trigger, which Nikon has been doing for several years but until now, not Canon. That's pretty big for me right there.

The list of things that make me happy about this camera goes on and on, and I'm more excited (and at the same time a bit wistful because of budget constraints) over the 7D than I have been about any Canon camera for a long time. Partly that's price-driven. This is one priced within reach. Maybe.

I'm thinking pretty hard about selling my boat to fund that camera and a lens. Always life delivers tradeoffs. I had high hopes for the recent Powerball, but someone else won it. winkwink

I'm thinking pretty hard about selling my boat to fund that camera and a lens. Always life delivers tradeoffs. I had high hopes for the recent Powerball, but someone else won it. winkwink

Don't feel so bad. This summer my boat went for a new central AC with just enough moolah left over for a canoe. mad The AC isn't near as much fun, but it was darned near a necessity.

I wonder how much the 50D will be priced at in a month or two.

I have hopes for this one as well, but the Galbraith article about the lower light focus ability makes me put this one on hold until someone gives the focus a work out. Don't need another Mark III! I think the ability to fire off camera flashes is something long overdue and something I would use a lot!

If it pans out one of my 30D's will go bye bye and this may be on the short list. I actually priced out switching to Nikon a week or so ago....that is not in my budget! This one compares well with a D300 and in my opinion something that compares to the D300 in features has been a hole in the Canon line up for some time. I think they will sell a lot of this camera at this price point!

Yeah, the off camera flash fired by the pop-up similar to the ST-E2 was one of the first things that said buy this camera. That will be huge for a lot of people.

Video is something I could live without, but it would be nice to have the option in a pinch.

The low light focus abilities and the high iso noise are going to be the things that really determine if this camera is a winner or not though. Most of the other things are improvements or added features to help a photographer compose a better photo. Focus and noise is where it is at for about 90% of the people looking to upgrade to this camera.

Canon Guy,what do you think about the video? I doubt I would ever use it,but it would be interesting to see the bokeh from the 2.8 lenses come alive and breathe.

I pre-ordered one,but am having 2nd thoughts already. crazy

I've been saving for the next 1DMK4N. I had a Mark3N for a short time and re-sold it,but I miss the frame rate and dual card slots. I'd like to have a 1D full frame with about 12mp & 10fps. 21 mp is too much for me.

I guess I'll see how it works. I ordered from a solid seller which accepts returns with no hassles.

I've been saving for the next 1DMK4N. I had a Mark3N for a short time and re-sold it.

Did I miss a newer version of the 1D Mk3? confused

FWIW, if Canon doesn't go stupid and come out with a 1.3 crop sensor 1D Mk4 with too many megapixels (12 would be plenty), it will be the best Canon money can buy. All that speed and sophistication with simply amazing noise performance, if they take the advances of the 7D sensor technology and incorporate them into the Mk4 without going nuts on pixel count.

Since the 1D Mk3 is essentially a pro camera, let us simply hold out hope that good sense will prevail. I doubt it, but I'm still hoping. gringrin

Yeah, 18 is really a bit much in a 1.6 crop but time will tell. Looking at the samples I have seen online it is pretty inconclusive.

One thing I haven't read at all about the flash firing remotes is the ability to fire remote flashes without firing the on camera flash. I know it is possible with the 550EX and the 580EX I&II. That would be really awesome. I don't know why, but that feature is really sticking out as one of the very important new pieces of the puzzle. Canon shooters have long been waiting for this and finally it is here. If it doesn't allow a non-fire remote trigger, will it be part of a firmware update in the future?

The electronic level in the viewfinder is something really cool as well for just about any shooter. A quick snap hand held with a horizon slanting bothers me a lot and I try to keep from letting it happen, but it does sometimes. All the other features of the viewfinder are pretty cool too.

It may be a bit overkill, but +/- 5 stops EC and +/- 3 stops bracketing for up to +/- 8 stops is something interesting. Not sure why anyone would want to push 8 stops, but it is possible.

One thing is for sure, with the winter games just around the corner the new 1DmkIV will be a killer machine. I agree with Steve about 12-14 mp on the new monster would be just about right. Maybe I could afford a new 1 Series in about 3 years just after the next one is released.

Tom, it does allow a remote trigger without firing the pop-up, according to the Galbraith review and the Canon specs I read.

MM, now I'm really confused. As I understand it, the max burst rate of the 1D Mk3 has remained unchanged since day one, and there has been no "n' upgrade like there was with the 1D Mk2/Mk2n.

I know,just my weird way to differentiate the "s" from the faster 1.3s. Whenever I'd talk to someone about the Mark 3's,they'd always get confused about which one I was talking about,so instead of saying "no,not the S,the other one" I always just said the "n". Whenever I said "1DMark3" they always assumed I meant the S body. Canon should just make the bodies different colors,then I could say "the purple one!" grin

Canon Guy,what do you think about the video? I doubt I would ever use it,but it would be interesting to see the bokeh from the 2.8 lenses come alive and breathe.

MM,the video really does not excite me. I never have been one that takes or watches much video. I love my 30D and will have to think about my need for a new body vs. my wants for new glass.

I for one am excited about the video. Aside from doing some nice things with the gurgle of creek water under shaded cedars as a streaming background for my Web site (we've been planning this and it just keeps not happening), I get a certain number of wedding clients who want me to shoot video as well instead of having to book a separate videographer.

With my wife teaming up (she's got a great photographic eye), one can run the vid and one the still camera. What would excite me to no end would be a video camera with high enough def that I could pull a still frame off it and use that to print from. Such a thing could make the still DSLR obsolete for wedding use.

I actually priced out switching to Nikon a week or so ago....that is not in my budget! This one compares well with a D300 and in my opinion something that compares to the D300 in features has been a hole in the Canon line up for some time. I think they will sell a lot of this camera at this price point!

That is Nikons biggest weak point I think, the crazy price of some of their lenses, especially the big primes. It's nuts that they're thousands of dollars more than Canons.

I hope the 7d turns out to be a great camera because it will push Nikon to make the D400 really spectacular! grin

I'm curious how much bigger the new sensor is on this camera? By adding all those mega pixels one would hope its larger.

I also wonder why they didn't put more AF points in place to compete better with the D300's 51 pt AF system. I'm not sure if this camera is Canon's mid range answer, only time will tell.

No buzz, it's the same 1.6 crop sensor Canon's been putting in the Rebel and xxD series. They say they've made significant advances in pixel and processor technology since the 15 Mp 50D came out not that long ago, and the sample images I've seen are about on par with the 50D when in-camera noise reduction is set on "strong."

It looks like a new line, giving Canon five lines. If it was the next iteration of the xxD series, it'd just be the 60D, and they just came out with the 5D Mk2 (full-frame sensor), so it's not the next in that line.

So the "1" series bodies are the 1Ds3 (21 Mp full frame) and 1D3 (10 Mp 1.3 crop sensor). Then there's the 5D line with the 5D2 (also 21 Mp on full frame sensor). Then the 7D (19 Mp on 1.6 crop sensor), the 50D (15 Mp on 1.6 crop sensor) and the Rebel T1i (15 Mp on the 1.6 crop sensor).

I don't really know what's on Canon's mind here. Doesn't make sense to me for them to introduce a whole new series but hey, I just buy and use the stuff, I don't develop it. smilesmile