• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fish trap pro mods

Jordyn Kaufer

hey is there anyone out there who has modded their fish trap pro or scout?

im picking one up this week and its making me think of what i can do to it for 4 months until the ice comes..

If you have modded your before could you share some of your ideas???

Thanks,

Jordyn

First I would put a rubber bottomed outdoor rug on the floor to stop thing from sliding around. Second, move the seat more to the center and not in the predrilled holes (for the scout) so the buddy heater fits snug. Third, in the second pic I drew a ruler on the vertical rod for quick measuring. I stopped using the rope light and just started using a headlamp instead for light. To much time to setup a rope light everytime you move.

Remember the main reason you get a scout or pro to keep as mobile as possiable so the more you add the less you'll be mobile. That's the reason I go with the scout over the pro because it's easy to just flip than to mess with the poles.

TrapScoutMod1.jpg

TrapScoutMod4.jpg

Two quick and easy things I'm planning on doing between now and first ice are lights with their own batteries (which could power the Vex in a pinch) and insulation on the top of the canvas to reduce condensation and heat loss.

Only 3 more months until first ice!

One of the best ways to light most small portables is by using UFO or tent lights, just one works very good:

Picture012-2.jpg

I also modded my Scout with some small Sony speakers I bought at WalMart to use with my MP3 player, and bought a cupholder at Gander you can see on the left:

Picture014-1.jpg

ok thanks guys!

what kind of insulation can i get to put in it?

I've seen the kind of insulation where its like aluminum foil so the light relflects off of it but dont know what its called.

im thinking of puting that in both my frabill magnum and the fish trap.

how much does it cost and whats it called??

thanks

reflectix, from fleet farm. You can get it in 2 foot width and 4 foot widths. You would probably want a roll (25 feet long) of the 4 ft wide stuff. About 25 or 30 bucks for a roll. I have some in my voyager and my solo otter house. well worth the money. I heat my voyager with a single buddy heater here in the metro. I use a single sunflower when up north and the temp gets really cold

Well, I was looking at Fishtraps and Frabills when I was looking at one man portys last year. I decided to cheap out and buy a Frabill DLX Recon. I still like the Recon, but it doesn't have a door in the front of it so I have to flip it up every time I get in or out, which makes it difficult to seal well. That's one thing I really wish I would have considered when I bought my one man.

I looked at putting a door in it and found out it would cost $70 to have it done or risk doing it myself and screwing up my porty. That $70 puts me over what it would have cost me to just buy a used good condition Fishtrap to begin with, which is what I should have done.

I really like my Pro and find that it comes in handy for those last minute after work metro outings. Not only that, but early ice works great too. Very light and mobile.

Speaking of which, being light and mobile is kind of the whole point of a small house like that. Adding a bunch of weight with modifications kind of defeats the purpose the way I see it. Lights and maybe a small tray to keep things in one spot is a good idea, but I wouldn’t go overboard. That’s what bigger houses are for wink

I find myself just flipping it up and not using the door very much, unless it’s really cold and I bank up the sides, then the door comes in very handy.

I don't have a pic of my pro but the guy I got it from put a 6" piece of hard plastic foam covered in carpet in the bottom with cutouts for a tank,heater and small battery. Stuff stays put and the foam only weighs about a pound and comes right out for cleaning..

......being light and mobile is kind of the whole point of a small house like that. Adding a bunch of weight with modifications kind of defeats the purpose the way I see it. Lights and maybe a small tray to keep things in one spot is a good idea, but I wouldn’t go overboard.....

Exactly! wink

-Munchy

The hardest thing is finding a spot to put your gas auger! Has anyone come up with a good solution for that? I bought a pro at the end of last year when gander was selling them for dirt cheap. I only used a few times last year but I really liked it a lot. Nice and light but still enough room to fish two holes and have a heater and a flasher going.

Zamboni - does the black material inside the tent of your trap make it dark during daylight hours? I just got the same model and I'm wondering how well I'll see while chasing gills during the middle of the day. Thanks.

It isn't too bad, the windows are great, but to be honest, I usually have them flapped shut and it is still light in there.

On my old one man fish trap I use to just put the auger motor end on the folded down cover and blade end sitting across the seat where it can't hurt anything. When I would pull it behind the sled and things got a little bumpy, I would throw a bungy across the blade end from the folded down poles on either side.

I did this for a few years of use, and never put a rip in the cover. wink

I posted this on here before, but as far as auger transport, plus extra gear transport, I bought an Otter sled last year, put some "I" bolts on it, bought some cheap mountain climber clips and put the rope from my Scout in them and pull it all at the same time. In this pic I have my GlideLite sled hooked onto it, but the Scout hooks up and pulls nicely behind it, and I can fit my auger and a ton of other stuff in the Otter:

kids136.jpg

Nowhere in those pictures do I see a fish trap, but I do see a dog on a kid's chair, and a kid in a laundry basket. I'm a big fan of the "temporary kid cage" myself! grin

Seriously, I have a small otter sled for light gear fishing, too, and use it as a trailer when using the big house if needed. The goal of a FT scout is ultimately light-weight portability, and maybe some sort of shoulder sling would be an option for carrying your auger long distances. If you are looking to stay on top of the fish with more than 8" of ice, a power auger is pretty much a given.