• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Our very own Tippman... Gone

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had only ever talked to Brian on-line or through email, but my brother worked and hunted with him. From the stories my brother told Brian was a great guy and I always had to read his post as he was a very smart outdoorsman. I know that I will be praying for Brian's family and friends...... he will be missed dearly.

This is a tragedy for the Gradin family, outdoorsman, and anybody who was lucky enough to cross Brians path. I'm posting the below at the request of Josh Clymer, who was Brians netman the night he caught biggest musky on Mille Lacs last year:

We had a slow day on Mille Lacs with only one follow all day. We moved to the "hot spot" right at sunset. Brain was definitely frustrated with the lack of action throughout the past 8 hours, but he continued to keep flinging baits and committed that at any minute we could nail the big girl. Finally at Sunset, things came together and Brain nailed a nice 45" fish. The pressure was off, finally a fish in the net, but I really wanted to see Brain get one of Mille Lacs monster fish. At midnight, the final pass of the night and at the very end of the weed bed Brain set the hooks. After a awesome fight, Brain put one more fish in the net. Not only was this his first multiple fish night, but his first 50" fish, and a true trophy fish in any ones book. She measured at 51.5" with a big fat Mille Lacs girth. This was one of my highlights from last year and I was so happy to be able to experience this event with Brian. Brain will always be remembered as one of the best fisherman I have ever guided as well as the "special good luck pictures" that he always brought out (inside joke). I know I will miss a great fishing partner and friend!!!

brian.jpg

His passing was a shock to me also and saddens me greatly. He always had a smile on his face and every time we went fishing together he always seemed to outfish me, even when I was 2 feet away from him. He took a picture of the deer in my avatar for me also. Brian was a good friend and I cant go outdoors without thinking of him. RIP buddy.

Hello Everybody-

I just wanted to say thanks a lot for all of the kind words you have posted about Brian. I heard from several people during the wake and funeral about the posts on the fishing minnesota HSOforum and how people who had never met him were saying such great things about him. I had to see it for myself and finally got around to reading the 3 pages worth of comments...wow. I am going save this and make sure my other brother and mom and dad get a copy to read. I consider myself a very avid hunter and a semi-avid fisherman, but when put into the context of how devoted Brian was, I got nothing on him. He would get off a 12 hour shift at the hospital at 7am and be dedicated enough to go out and get some hunting in before getting some much needed sleep, now that's devotion. Sitting here compiling this type of message still makes me constantly question whether this is all real or not, yet the reality is, it is real and we all must face it and move on. Again, thanks to everyone for their kind words. The hunting and fishing world lost a great one. The only good thing to note here is that whitetails in central MN and fish everywhere should be breathing a sigh of relief, as they have a much higher chance of living now that Brian won't be pursuring them : ) I will make it a point to post some pics of any monster brutes taken this year by myself and\or dad\brother in memorandum of Brian. Take care everyone and best of luck this hunting season.

Steve Gradin

On behalf of the Gradin family (Kevin, Melody, and Jeff)

Good to see you got on here to read this thread and look over what Brian left behind. I like many on here, never met Brian, but you could tell by his posts what a great person he was. His devotion to the outdoors was up there with anybody else posting on these forums and folks who post as often, as detailed and with as much excitement as Brian did have nothing but respect and appreciation for all things outdoors. My thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

I never met Brian either, but enjoyed seeing his posts. I hope I'm not out of line, but I didn't see it anywhere. Can anyone tell us how he went? Car accident, sudden illness? Too young to go is all I know. He seemed like a great guy.

You're not out of line in asking propster. Brian unfortunately took his own life. Obviously nobody will ever know exactly why, but holy cow was it ever out of left field, as I'm sure everyone reading this would agree. I mentioned in my post on 10/19 I'd upload some pics of any big boys taken in memorandum of Brian. Well here he is. Took him on opening morning. 16 inch spread. 12 points. 141.5 initial total score. Could be a better photo of the rack, but oh well.

Steve Gradin

%5C%5Cad%5Chomedir$%5Cstaff%5Csgradin%5C

I just found this thread and so this is new news to me. I'm sorry to hear of Brian's passing. I also never met Brian in person, but got to know him through this forum and a few e-mails. I got to know Brian a little, and there was no question he was a very talented outdoorsman and most of all a great person. I just wish I would have had the chance to fish with him one day. He will be missed.

I can relate to how you feel, Steve. My best friend and roommate at the time, took his own life a little over four years ago. I'm sure a lot of the questions you have are the same ones I had. Hang in there.

Steve

It looks like the picture did not post, if you would like I could put it up for you. By the way my brother worked and Hunted with Brian and always spoke very highly of him, his name is Paul. My email is in my signature.

Kevin