Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brownie77

Mineral/Salt licks

2 posts in this topic

Is it too late to put one out and get some activity on it? I have a new spot to hunt and want some pics of the deer on the property, and there are very few trails as it is just oak trees and loggin roads.

I get a ton of pictures on the mineral licks in the summer months when the bucks are in bachelor groups growing, but once that velvet comes off they turn into a new animal. Now they will try to carb-up and put on weight for fall. I wouldnt expect to see AS MUCH activity at salt and mineral now. Reguardless, providing mineral will always be beneficial to the deer no matter what time of year.

You say theres oaks there.... thats the next big thing. The deer in my area are POUNDING the acorns right now. If you really want to be walking around in your area find where the deer are beating down the ground underneath an acorn producing tree. Youll find your deer there! At this time of year you may be safer staying out though... observe from a distance. Theres a good chance the deer will still be focusing on the acorns come opening day of bow.

Thats my experience... Good Luck!