• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck Toppers

Looking for a truck topper for my 09 f 150, any suggestion as far as quality or problems you've had with them. I got a price from waldoch today and they said $799 for a fiberglass painted to match. Also got prices on Leer and ARE and they are about $1200, is it worth the extra money?

I have a Leer and I have been very happy with it. I wanted mine to have a carpeted shell because I was putting in a Bedrug and I wanted it to match. I really like the total setup because I can crawl around the back and my knees don't get beat up and it makes a good place to sleep if needed.

I got a Unicover for my F150. The thing to remember on price is the options. Maybe the Waldoch is base and the others include options.

1. Side windows come in various sizes. Some open, some not. I suggest getting ones that open and the largest hight you can get. (length may vary also. I have two on each side. The front opens and the back one has a slider for ventilation.)

2. Front window. Hinged or not hinged. The hinged one can be opened to help you clean the topper window and the rear PU window.

3. Rear windows have either a single center handle or two (left and right) handles. Left and right handles provide a more secure closure and are much less likely to rattle.

4. Rear light. Most installers just connect the light to the rear tail light. The problem with this is the head lights must be on before the light will work. It is very inconvienient to have to go turn on the head lights before you can turn on the topper light. Of course with it wired directly, you could leave it on and run down the battery. Make sure to let the installer know how you want it wired.

5. Other options include carped shell, racks and shelves.

Check out a couple venders and pick one with the options and style you like.

Good Luck.

dont overlook that online listing place. with the economy the way it is there are PLENTY of toppers for sale. I picked up a like new leer for my Ranger for $200. it is the wrong color, but is silver and I have a black truck.

even with having to take it to a bodyshop to be painted, you might be money ahead.

shizzy has a good point. I picked up my topper through the for sale section of a truck forum a couple of years ago for far less than I would have paid for a new one. It was color matched to my truck as a bonus.

I've had a Leer topper on my last 3 trucks, I've had trouble with the support arms on one of them(left the door open when it was really cold while hauling something long), and I've had trouble with the latch on two of them.

I would buy another even with the problems I had(which were small).

I just like the way they look, makes the truck look like a suburban and I've had really good customer service from the dealer in burnsville/savage, they fixed everything for just the cost of the parts even when the topper was 4 years old.

I just wish they would have a old style latch you could just manually turn to lock the topper???

dont overlook that online listing place.

Yes, I agree also with shizzy's point. Not only for used, but for brand new items as well.

For some reason I have found if you order the same thing from a place on-line, they have better pricing because of ordering it on-line from them, verses calling or walking in?? If you see a different price on-line, 9 times out of 10, you call them and they will give you the price if you walk in.

Best Buy does this, Home Depot and other places.

Honestly the best place to find out what the quality of something is to search on-line customer reviews. At this point while doing a review search, you will get an idea of the average price and the "good" price.

If you buy on-line, you can some times save on the sales tax, get free shipping and have it delivered to that place you want. Either set up something with a local body shop for painting and installation (or even just installation) or have it dropped shipped right in your garage or drive way for you to install. A little more work on your part, but it will save some money in the end.

Good luck!

I've owned two pick-ups that had toppers. Both I bought new. Here are my lessons learned.

-Go with double t-handles vs. single handle or a push button. The doubles are more secure and help keep a tighter seal.

-The hardware on the locking and opening mechanisms is usually made of cheaply galvanized steel. They rust and corrode over time. Take care of them from the beginning.

-A hinged tip out window is a great feature. Easy cleaning both windows.

-I highly recommend side windows that have both screens and hinges that open upward. Loading and unloading your truck is much easier with the hinged windows. The screens with sliders are required if you haul a dog around in the back of the truck.

-Buy a gasket that seals your tail gate. They really help keep the back of your truck clean.

-A carpeted headliner is nice but they get dirty. If you like to hose out your truck periodically skip the carpet liner. I have a carpeted liner and wish I did not.

-Consider putting a removable, rail mounted rack system on your topper like a Thule etc. They are very useful in hauling canoes, small boats ladders etc. the keep your topper and the top of your truck from getting scratched up.

I have a Leer topper now on my GMC and it is a very solid topper. I'd buy another one for my next truck.

I put a tonneau cover on my f150 super crew because I didn't want to lose vision out of back of my truck. I am now thinking that maybe I want to consider a topper. I have the short bed on the truck so when I haul my voyager ice house, I use a bedextender. Here is my question: Can I travel down the highway with the tailgate down and the access tailgate window closed on the topper?

I found a couple on that listing sight that are well within my price range. My wife however hates the look of the topper.....I am more concerned with the loss of vision while driving.

with your mirrors adjusted properly, you will get used to any reduction in view.

should be no issue driving with the tailgate down and topper door shut. I have done it many times. just remember the red flag if you are sticking out far.

I agree with your wife (and mine too) and really dont like the look of a topper on my truck, but the benefits FAR outweigh any loss of astetic value. I would love to run the truck without a topper but an open bed or tonneau cover just wont fit the bill.

Picks, once you get a topper you will wonder why you didn't do it years ago. I just ran, with boat in tow, and snowblower in bed, with tailgate up and topper window open and it was perfect. I also run with tailgate down and topper window DOWN with duck boat in bed, and it works perfect.

Topper is so versatile that ther eis NO reason to not have one, unless you put AVT or sled or you REGULARLY use it for hauling dirt or gravel in bed.

Get one, you will wonder why the heck you didn't sooner. IMHO, of course wink

I have a Raven topper and am happy with it except for the fact that the two locks on the back window crud up and won't work after a couple of years. Probably my fault for not using them often enough. It is fiberglass and is a bit heavy if you have to take if off to haul something. It is at least a two man job to remove/replace it. But they look so much better than the aluminum ones.

A friend has a rig that allows him to lift the topper up from the sides for easy access to stuff up front. It is handy but can be a hassle if things aren't done in the proper order. Crawling in to get stuff is hard on the knees but part of the game I guess. Next time I may see about getting one that has some sort of side access.

Tom7227, Yes, large side windows that open are a very nice feature. Also, I often leave a 4 prong garden rake in the back just to help pull out items from the front.

landscaper, I don't know of any topper locking with the truck remote. Also, although most toppers have locks, you usually can just pull on them a little and the locking lever (thin piece of metal) will bend. I do lock mine on occasion however it is not secure.

for thoses guys that do NOT have the side windows that open.

Do you have a Bed slider?? i think they are called instead of crawling in the bed to get to the stuff in the front.

anyone?

Yep, here the one I built. It was not 100% complete in this pic as you can see. The top rolls out.

Picture147-small.jpg

Picture149.jpg

love my older leer mid 90's, it doesnt have hinged windows which doenst bother me, my back window have push outs, like the ones on the ext cab trucks they keep it well ventalated I like them when I have the fish house back there with the auger, the locks are on both sides which I like. the only thing I dont like is that it doesnt have carpet on it. its plain white so I can see it in my mirror. I have gotten used to it and it dont bother me.

the windows are tinted so it keeps the inside nice n cool in the summer. I take it off when hauling dirt appliances and some furniture. there are for brackets that hold it on and they are really sturdy I never see it move. I have a 2x4 in front of the wheel well to keep a tool box and misc things up front outta the way, plus my ranger xl is a perfect fit with it there. I also have a bed liner in it so things slide around if its not snug packed. I did install eye bolts when I want to bungee stuff to not slide. the local dealer has had everything I needed so thats good. Its on a Dodge Dakota ext cab (96) with a 6.5' bed. On a side note I think it helps on mileage on long runs.