Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Almquist

A few different Warblers

8 posts in this topic

I went down by Lake Superior looking for shore bird and that did not work out but I was able to find some Warblers. These guys seem to move as fast as the Chickadees.

The first 4 pics I believe are Nashville Warblers.

LB7D6813copy.jpg

LB7D6722copy.jpg

LB7D6735copy.jpg

LB7D6739copy.jpg

Yellow-rumped Warbler

LB7D6793copy.jpg

Yellow Warbler

LB7D6828copy-1.jpg

Nice. I'm headed up to Grand Marais soon. Glad to see so many warblers.

Great warbler images sir, I especially enjoy number three and four, warblers are so small, both of those images have pleasing light and great habitat that illustrate just how tiny these sprites are when compared to a cattail or tanzia flower. If you go to the point again, head out onto the lake side by the airport and walk as far as you can towards the Wisconsin entry, there have been pretty good shorebird pickings there lately smile

Best time to work that shoreline is from 3-7PM (lightwise), also, because of the dredging work that has been done within the last year, there is now a really unique point that juts out a bit into the lake, last week the shorebirds were piling up in this area.

Thanks for the info Shawn. My plan was to do a little scouting last Sunday and spend the day or evening this Sunday. I will let you know what I find. I went to the spot on 40th ave by IWM but stopped at the gate. Do you walk down from there ? I was not sure how strictly they enforce the road or gate.

Thanks for helping with the IDs Mike. I really wish that I could have got pictures of all the different species because I am sure there were a few more that I missed.

Jim, always walk from the gate because even if it is opened it might be closed at any minute. I have never had an issue with any of the workers that I've run into out on the pier area, in fact they have even occasionally stopped to tell me about a pelican or a heron that was hanging around. I think they are pretty much done working out there now, so you probably won't run into anyone except a birder or a drunk fisherman smile