Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TRZ II

bear burn

5 posts in this topic

My grandson is bear hunting this year and wants to put out a burn this weekend when he hunts. what is the easiest way to make one or where can he buy one-thanks alot!

we use to put some honey in a old soup can with a Mr. Heater (cooker). Or if you had a portable propane torch that would work too

I use a sterno can and make a stand for it with a clothes hanger. I put the sterno can underneath and then a soup can 1/3 full of molasses, honey, or bacon grease. I've had the best luck so far with molasses.

Be careful with how much bacon grease you use! I had a bit of panic racing down my tree to put out a fire a few years back. Strange thing is that I shot a bear about 20mins after I put the flames out crazy

I generally use a large metal coffee can an drill holes near the top of the can an run hanger peices ti criss cross that will support a soup can filled with bacon grease, go to wall mart grocery an buy their bacon pieces an cook up a bunch for the grease, it's cheap about 5 buck for 4lbs or so, just be carefull oh year a sterno in the bottom of the large can works good but is intense enough to possible start a fire with bacon grease splattering all over, if you use a sterno rremove any leaves an gress an twigs, what I recomend is to use a candle that has two wicks, an cut the candle down so it is'nt right under the soup can, make sure it's an uncented candle. those tea candle that you put in pumpkins work really good i use about three. A person need to experiment a little, so as to simmer the bacon grease an not burn it so it splattering all over a bear will put his nose in the can an nothing makes a bear dissapear faster than grease splatter on the nose. Bcarefull, this system can work great but also start fires. good luck guys. boar