• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to hang a hang-on????

Meat-Run

Three words:

Lone

Wolf

Alpha

wink

Wanderer maybe I'll have to sell a bunch of my ladder stands just so I can afford one Alpha, thanks for the tip.

mr

They're designed to accomodate tilted trees. They're lighter too, making it easier haul up the tree.

Ok, so I hung my stand on Tuesday with the help of a friend who is built like a rock and climbs like a squirrel so that helped a ton but the trees I have are far from stright they all lean one direction or another and I couldn't find a stright tree anywere close to my funnel area. I'm going to try and put in a spacer in between the tree and stand to help level out the stand. Any tips for leaning trees, I would take an oak with 4 million limbs over my options i have now?

mr

I'll take a tree that leans "some" versus a perfectly plumb tree. As long as the stand faces the way you want to hunt, and the tree leans away from your back.

Leaning trees are very comfortable (like a recliner smile ). The more it leans, the farther your seat is away from the end of your platform. Essentialy making your platform seem bigger.

If a tree leans towards your back even the slightest bit, it will make for a very uncomfortable hunt. (Your platform also feels smaller.)

Wanderer maybe I'll have to sell a bunch of my ladder stands just so I can afford one Alpha, thanks for the tip.

mr

grin

Yeah, I know. That's one of the reason I have a Cabela's card and charge EVERYTHING on it. One check at the end of the month and a payback to boot.

My first cost me about $75. Climbing sticks $21. This year I'll be able to pick up a second for about the same as the first. I'd like a second as I'll be mentoring my daughter's first year bowhunting. It takes some time but it's worth it.

Hey, I'm gettin old too and these things help me out. smile

Plotting. Planning.

Have a great season MR

With my preseason scouting this year and from the results on my game moultrie i40 this is looking to be my best chance for a PB Deer. I've been so pumped for the 19th that I can't even sleep and dealing with bad tree choices has been making it more stressful. I've used ladderstands in the past but most deer will spot you if your not more than 20ft up compared to hangons. It's not my first choice but it's what I have to do in order to seal the deal. I'm trying to get my hangon and courage up to 25ft since there is no foilage to break me up so this is why I started this post because it's not comfortable for me to go 25ft up by myself to hang a 24lb stand with one hand. I have a pully system that I have and might use that to simplify and borrowed a linemans belt for added security. Thanks for everyones thoughts and personal experiences hopefully I'm tagged out and making sausage right after the 19th!!!!

mr

The lone wolf hang ons can adjust platform angle for lean and also have an offset mounting bracket so you can hang your stand level in a tree of just about any shape. Plus, it has upper and lower straps that snug it very securely to the tree with no squeaks or noise.

Some guys buy 10 stands and leave them hang all year, I tote my LW around each hunt instead. I have it down to a science now - only takes me about 12 minutes from the time I show up to being seated and ready to hunt.

waitforit, if you can be up a tree and set in 12 minutes than that's awesome. I moved my stand again last week and used the pully system for my stand and it worked awesome. I just had to get up to the desired height rap my safety strap to the tree for myself and the pully to hook on and pulled up my stand with little to no effort. I think after a few more trys i can cut my time and sweet to a minimum. Using the pully made it possible to use both hands to grab the strap and cinch it tight and/or move it to disired side of the tree without even touching the stand. The 19th can't come soon enough!!! Good luck to all and be safe.

mr