• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to hang a hang-on????

Meat-Run

Hey folks I'm in need of getting another hunters opinion on how to hang a hang-on deerstand without killing myself and making it alot safer. I know you climb up skrew in a step hook and hang the stand but there has to be a better way of carring up a 20lb stand with one hand and hold on for dear life? Because this is the most dangerous time when climbing a tree I was hoping some one had some easier ways to get the stand up in the air via a pully system or something, what do you guys do that will not make your wife want to run out and up your life insurance policy? What do you do?

For the record because of these stands I have been using ladderstands but I think the deer have a tendency to spot you or look up the ladder and see you even 20+ ft up in the tree.

thanks,

mr

Lots of good suggestions in this thread from the hunting forum.

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1988174/Hang_on_stands#Post1988174

There are pulley systems out there. I prefer to wear it on my back until I'm at the top, then with my climbing belt secured I hang the stand.

Powerstroke, I just read the link from an earlier post thanks for sharing it gave me some ideas and supports my idea of a linemans belt all the way up to the top and adjusting the stand strap first at the bottom so I don't have to mess with it 20ft up in the tree that was very useful maybe even saved my life!

regards,

mr

I have an idea of getting one of those pulling systems that they sell at FF to lift and locks the rope for bikes and such I use one now to lift my stuff up in the rafters of my garage. So my thought is 1. climbing sticks to the top 5 total 2. safety harness that holds me incase I fall goes on second 3. put pully system on safety harness with 40 ft of rope 4. climb down hook up stand and pull up from the ground 5. climb stand and rachet stand to tree and secure 6. hook up my body harness to tree safety harness and test stand 7. screw in bow holder and drop my tether for my bow and ready for action!!!!!

Awesome, now if I can just figure out how to turn this economy around I would be in great shape!!!

mr

I never go higher then I can reach with a "hang on stand". There is no reason to be 20 feet in the air, especially during bow season. Climbers are a different story.

Why do you even bother at all with hang-ons? I think your money would be better spent on a nice blind (that is if you don't have one already.)

As far as no reason to be 20 feet in the air, different strokes for different folks I guess. I climb as high as I can in a given tree to still be able to shoot. My hang-ons are generally 20-25 feet to the platform. In my climber the sky is the limit! One of my "rifle trees" is an aspen that I climb 35' for an awesome view. (I have a special hoist rope for such occasions.) When up that high I think I could soak my boots in gasoline and get away with it smile

Ditto the blind. Give it a shot. I've killed all my deer from my blinds though I've sat in plenty of ladder stands and a hang-on I bought last year. I think the ladder stands are just fine when placed just right in terms of not getting busted. I sort of regret the hang-on. Plenty of guys love them and swear by them but I find it time-consuming and dangerous to hang and move. But that's just me. They have their advantages and plenty of guys used. them. I love the portability and relative stealth of blinds. You can set them up lightening quick on public land and on private land, you can sneak in just primetimes without all the movement and noise required to get into a treestand. Plus they're great for late season hunts. They keep you out of the wind and warmer than 20 feet up in the cold November air.

The only problem with climbers is they are limited to perfect trees. Hang-ons are a lot more flexible, I would think.

I have never had a issue yet finding a tree to climb into. There may be areas in the state where it may be more diffucult but where I hunt, no issues at all. If I di have a issue with a tree, then I put up my ground blind.

I don't really understand the rap that hang-ons have as dangerous. When installed correctly they are perfectly safe. Even my very old platform with a chain never had any problems. A ladder isn't any more secure just cause it touches the ground too. I've had more trouble with my ladder stand than my hang ons. That's why it sits in my shed.

Especially during bow season I try to get as high as I can. You need that deer to come within 30yds and hopefully closer. You have to draw without attracting attention and you need to be scent free. All the reasons I choose to be up 20+ ft.

Originally Posted By: BuckKiller*
I never go higher then I can reach with a "hang on stand". There is no reason to be 20 feet in the air, especially during bow season. Climbers are a different story.

Why do you even bother at all with hang-ons? I think your money would be better spent on a nice blind (that is if you don't have one already.)

As far as no reason to be 20 feet in the air, different strokes for different folks I guess. I climb as high as I can in a given tree to still be able to shoot. My hang-ons are generally 20-25 feet to the platform. In my climber the sky is the limit! One of my "rifle trees" is an aspen that I climb 35' for an awesome view. (I have a special hoist rope for such occasions.) When up that high I think I could soak my boots in gasoline and get away with it smile

Actually most people are amazed at how 6 feet up a tree can improve your vision especially in thick brush, in some occations the higher in the tree you go the harder it is to see (depending on the layout of the land/trees). And the place will I hunt is a high traffic area so the deer are use to the smell of humans so scent isn't an issure... for me at least.

It seems the older you get the less you feel like hangin up in a tree, i have 6 hangons and use them all couple ladder stands to,3 blinds also ,i see deer and get em outta em to,but the last couple years ive been hunting on the ground using leafoflage camo and man has it been a lot of fun!make sure you clean a small area around you so you can turn any direction you have to,also clean the leaves under youre feet to ,odor control is a must ! Try it you will be surprized,best part is that you are not limited to the same spot everytime you go out,also it keeps other hunters from seeing youre honey holes to!! One bit of advice on those hangons get ones with a chain there a little more of a hassle to hang but you wont have to worry about mr tree rat chewing on youre strap it can make for a bad day let alone a year in a body cast if they decide to dine on youre strap!!

i am with power stroke on this hang ons are only as dangerous as the guy hanging them. I hang about 15 stands a year plus the ones I move. I also have a climber biggest problem with the climber seems to be the good climbing trees are always 30 yds from were I want tobe as for ladder stands I have a two man what a pain in the @@S NO WONDER YOU CAN BY THEM SO CHEAP put one up sometime I think mine weighs about 7000lbs its been in the same tree since I bought it and it will still be there when I am to old to hunt.

i am with power stroke on this hang ons are only as dangerous as the guy hanging them. I hang about 15 stands a year plus the ones I move. I also have a climber biggest problem with the climber seems to be the good climbing trees are always 30 yds from were I want tobe as for ladder stands I have a two man what a pain in the @@S NO WONDER YOU CAN BY THEM SO CHEAP put one up sometime I think mine weighs about 7000lbs its been in the same tree since I bought it and it will still be there when I am to old to hunt.

I hunted out of hang on stands for many years, maybe 20. They worked fine. Now that I'm getting a bit older, I find it much easier and safer for me to use the climbers. Ground blinds are also becoming a favorite for me in some situations.

I would not trust myself any longer with my kness and back trying to hang a hang on.

I wrap my leg around one of the rungs on the ladder stick, frees up both hands. Get your knee between the rung and the tree then get your foot wrapped around the middle of the ladder stick. Might want to practice before you get all the way up there.

I have a hunter safety system vest that has a lineman's type strap that you can put around and tree and allows your hands to be free to work. I'll get my steps in, tie a rope to my stand and myself and then pull the stand up.

Admittingly so however, I have been implementing ladder stands in locations where they are hidden well.

Ok, so I hung my stand on Tuesday with the help of a friend who is built like a rock and climbs like a squirrel so that helped a ton but the trees I have are far from stright they all lean one direction or another and I couldn't find a stright tree anywere close to my funnel area. I'm going to try and put in a spacer in between the tree and stand to help level out the stand. Any tips for leaning trees, I would take an oak with 4 million limbs over my options i have now?

mr