Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ReelTimes

Leaking boat rivers

11 posts in this topic

I have a 98 Lund Fisherman 21 ft. It has had alot of use on Lake Superior/Michigan over the years and noted I was taking on some water this past year when pulling the plug. Not so much to be a large concern or that I cant run the pump every couple hours but enough that it is bothersome. Also, I would be hesitant to leave boat at a dock overnight. I have determined that I have 4 leaking rivets all in a line. One has a consistent drip, the others very minimal drip every couple minutes. Anyone in the Duluth or MN area do this type of repair work or do I need to send back to Lund. Any idea on cost range to fix. I already rebuilt the engine this year so funds for another major repair may have to wait for another year. Appreciate any advice

toss some jb weld on there.. slather it on.. as long as its not where trailer touches it will last a while..

You may want to check with Lund for warranty. Otherwise, I've seen good results from a putty called Marine Tex which Marine General had. You may also want to looking into putting in a seperate bilge with an automatic bailer wired directly to the battery.

Reeltimes I would be willing to help you to rebuck the rivets. Let me know. If interested we can figure out a way to get ahold of each other.

how did you figure out that it was the rivets? we take on water slowly and cant find where or why. Was thinkging about letting the garden hose run for a bit while on trailer in the driveway and seeing if any leaks out. Is there a better way? thanks!

That is how we found leaks in my neighobrs older lund. Ended up being the rivets right above where the last rollers were on the trailer. He had the boat not being pull far enough up, and the transome wasn't being supported properly. We had decent access to the inside of those rivets (3 leaking very slowly, but noticable) so we bucked them and now it is tight as a Nun's Habit. smile

Was thinkging about letting the garden hose run for a bit while on trailer in the driveway and seeing if any leaks out. Is there a better way? thanks!

That's the best way in my experience... fill the bilge area with water and watch to see where it leaks under the boat.

marine_man

thanks, will have to try this fall. How easy is it to repair the rivets?

Thanks for all the replies. Crothmeyer, we put water in the boat and could see the drips. Checked all the rivets and it was just those 4