• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Handgun Scope Options

This will be my first year hunting whitetails with a pistol. I am wondering what scope set ups others are using and any pros/cons that exist between magnified, dot, and reflex sights. The majority of my hunting will be still hunting/stalking. I'd like to find something that is durable in adverse weather, good for low light conditions, and will maintain accuracy with the .44mag recoil. Skol.

skol I have a .44 mag and it had a red dot scope on it but I opted to replace it with a leupold fixed 2X. My theory was that I didnt want to rely on batteries when I go out hunting. My leupold handles the recoil very well and I would recomend it to you.

I hunted a few years with my .357 with just open sights. This is the first year will be my first with the Red Dot.

I chose the red dot with Zero Magnification (or 1x depending on what manufacturer calls it) because I am a both eyes open shooter and I was struggleing with the long eye releaf and the magnifications 2x-7x I just couldn't get used to it. Back when sportsmans was open they had wooden "pistols" they could mount the scopes on so you could get a feel for the eye releaf and find what you liked. I think gander has a similar set up.

I would definately try a few out before you buy. The recoil from a full house hunting round can be brutal on optics. So get something you feel comfortable with and make sure you secure it well.

Same story here. I have the Leupold 2X on a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. Shoots nicely with that scope. It was the rec'd scope to handle the recoil.

Tim

skol I have a .44 mag and it had a red dot scope on it but I opted to replace it with a leupold fixed 2X. My theory was that I didnt want to rely on batteries when I go out hunting. My leupold handles the recoil very well and I would recomend it to you.

Same story here. I have the Leupold 2X on a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44. Shoots nicely with that scope. It was the rec'd scope to handle the recoil.

Tim

Originally Posted By: slabchaser

Nice choice Tim! My dad had the same set up a few years ago that he used to deer hunt with. Still has it but I don't think he's taken it out deer hunting recently.