• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suzuki 140 4 stroke

badluck,noluck

Suzuki makes an awesome motor. I had a 115 on a Lund I just traded in this spring for a Ranger. The saddest part of the whole deal was that this dealer did not handle Suzuki's!!! Bummer.., I am that sold on Suzuki outboards. (I got the Ranger with a Yamaha, which is not far behind Suzuki!!).

Another FM'er stated "just like the Johnson". The reason it IS just like the Johnson is because until 2006, Suzuki made ALL Johnson 4-strokes up to and including the 225. And when I say "made them".., I don't mean powerheads only.., I mean the literal entire motor IS a Suzuki with white paint and "Johnson" name on the motor. Go look at a 2006 140 Johnson and a Suzuki 140. Only difference is the paint and the name.

They are not a "good" motor as you are wondering, they are a GREAT motor!!!

I hear the 140 is pretty underpowered compared to similar motors, and that they have discontinued it in favor of the 150 for this reason. A quick google search will get you more specifics.

Suzukis are great motors, but this one is a bit of a dog. I would recommend getting the 150 if possible.

To be fair... I believe the 140 is the same motor as the 115, just amped up. It has 132HP at the prop. Which on most boats is fine, my Monark King 185 (walkthrough windshield fish and Ski) moves good and planes out fine.

My buddy has a 150 Yamaha and he has 162HP at the prop. But he paid for the 150 Yammy, which is a nice motor too.

I have a 2004 Suzuki 140 and love it. As Chode said, they don't make the 140 anymore. They now make a 150 that is a 6 cyl if I'm not mistaken. The 140 is a bored out 115. I would not call it a dog. It moves my 18'7" Alumacraft at 45-46 mph. It's a great engine. I've never met anyone that didn't love theres.

I would agree the 140 is a dog, in the sense its like a good hunting dog. Quiet, and always ready to go. Its all about what your after if you want the fastest around this isn't the choice for you. I have a 140 on a 1700 fisherman and it gets out of the hole pretty quick and tops out around 44 mph. A friend of mine has a 150 verado and it will go about 52 on the same boat, and I know these numbers would probably change with different props on, but I'm sure the verado would come out on top speed wise in most cases. Price wise it wasn't a close race when I was shopping so I went with the suzuki/johnson

I bought the 140 last year in the spring and it has been ok but I wouldn't buy another one for one reason.... When my lower unit went out this year it took 3 and a half weeks to get the parts to rebuild it.. the cost of rebuild was also 1000 dollars higher than a comprable yamaha..

I will give mercury a try next year and get a Varado...

The motor does run well and has only left me scratching my head a couple of times...

A wire came off the motor behind the starter and it wouldn't start (poor engineering on Suzukis part).. got it figured out on the water with a couple calls to the marina....

Also has (had?) a vapor lock issue in which when you run to a spot fish a while.. go take off, get on plane and the motor shuts down.. WHIPLASH... pump the ball... go again.. sometimes it happenes 5 times a day sometimes not at all... I thought it might be my boat but another owner was having the same problem... I put a new fuel filter in recently and it seems to be working....

The motor has 1200 or so hours on it.. the powerhead hasen't missed a beat..

The 140 is the same class as mentioned as a 90 and 115.. it is actually LIGHTER than the 115.. A VERY GOOD OPTION BELOW A 150 because of weight and price (3 GRAND LESS)..

I have a 18 foot Tournament Sport... runs 44 GPS SPEED with myself empty livewell and stainless prop (gets out of the water pretty good (nothing like a E-Tec but who want's to replace a powerhead every year and dump 40 bucks worth of oil in it every 3 days)(((why do they still make 2-strokes???)))

runs 37-39 with the aluminum prop 4 people, full tank, full livewell (16 walleyes grin).. jups right out of the water no problem

Good motor all around and Very Good value (6 year transferrable warrenty was a plus)

I lost my lower unit last year. The dealership where I bought it replaced it with a rebuilt lower unit. I had my boat back in 2 days.

With the vapor lock issue.. I haven't heard of this issue before. Could it be an issue with the gas line? Have you tried replacing the ball? Just a thought...

Anyway- maybe its not the fastest motor, but I wouldn't call it a dog. Runs great, VERY quite, good gas milage and it's priced right.

I owned an 04 (Johnson/Suzuki) for 5 years - absolutely loved it. BTW, on the vapor lock issue: If I squeezed the ball 'til hard, I never had an issue. If I forgot, then I occasionally would have the problem. I would buy this motor again for my next boat.

On the vapor lock issue, I was fishing with a guide this summer that had the same motor same problem. On his HSOforum he said the problem is now solved and this is what he wrote:

...after several hours of testing different areas of the fuel lines I found that while the engine was running if I reached way up under the rear casting deck and messed with the fuel line it kinda made a funny sound. Turned the engine off and messed with it a little more and it broke off in my hand. The culprit this whole time has been a corroded aluminum fuel splice...

So, maybe it is a corroded aluminum fuel splice?? I know nothing about motors but thought this might help.