Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
B-man715

What to do with BEES on my Treestand?

10 posts in this topic

I was out checking on stands yesterday. One of my ladder stands has a large hive of those black and white bees/hornets on it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get rid of them, without using unnatural chemicals that may alert the deer?

(and nothing too brave, I have had some reactions before.)

Thanks

One could use some of the wasp killer on the critters. The rain and air should clean up and residue and smell in a few days.

I would also use the bee/wasp killer spray, which shoots out to about 20 feet. You are supposed to wait 24 hours to remove the nest to make sure all the critters are dead, and removing the nest will also remove a lot of the smell. If you're worried about smell on the ground, spend a few bucks for a tarp or some plastic drop cloths and when it's done you can roll it all up and throw it in the trash. If you put the tarp directly underneath the nest and do it on a calm day you'll have less spray drift.

There'll for sure be some chemical around, but it will fade in a few days.

what 1st poppped into my feeble mind was "What are YOU doin in THEIR tree. LOL... I kinda like em, they are natures assasins. They thrive on undesireable insects. Other then sprayin em, I don't know. But, if ya do I really don't see where it's gonna be a detriment to your zone after a day or two.

Thanks for all of the input guys!

Sounds like a little Raid won't scare the deer out of the county.

what 1st poppped into my feeble mind was "What are YOU doin in THEIR tree. LOL... I kinda like em, they are natures assasins. They thrive on undesireable insects. Other then sprayin em, I don't know. But, if ya do I really don't see where it's gonna be a detriment to your zone after a day or two.

Yes, I agree that they get a bad rap. But if it wasn't for bees and hornets our gardens and farmer's fields wouldn't have near the yeild. Like you said, they pollinate and eat insects that could harm the crop.

They have their place, but it is not on my stand frown

Are they going to be an issue in November?

No, but bow season opens in 2 weeks. (Wisconsin)