• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Headed out to Algoma for a few days around Sept 10th. Looking for some advice... positive, nuetral or critical. Instead of paying big $ for a charter... Some friends and I are pulling my 18 ft. Lund Pro V 75 hp tiller out there. Took the boat along last weekend to Duluth and fished Superior, a little nerve~wracking, but I can say I got the first-time jitters out of the way on big water. Trying to catch a salmon in 09, but Duluth didn't have too much to offer. Also can say I am so new to this... I probably couldn't tell them apart. Dipseys and dodger / spoons (2) and Lead~Core w spoons (2) were the tactics... didn't catch anything until I pulled the walleye rod out, stopped trolling and bounced a jig off the bottom for lakers. ?'s for anyone... Is Algoma feasable for a 18' boat in Sept.? Will some of these trolling tactics work out there? How far do I have to go out for these fish? Find warmer water, right? I think I understand the dipsey ~ spoon or fly combo. Can I run Lead~Core attached to these walleye planer boards that I have never caught a fish on or do I run something else with them? If so, how do I get the bait down there? In line weights. Alright, enough on the ?'s... Hoping to fall for another kind of fishing and maybe even consider down~riggers for 2010. Also, hoping to find someone willing to answer a few ?'s before we head out from MN. 400 miles down the road, I'd hate to have to 'wing it'. Thanks

As long as the weather and wind cooperate you will be fine in an 18' boat. The fish are running a bite has been steady for the past month. Boards are fine to run leadcore or snap weights from. spoons, j-plugs and flasher flies will all take fish. I put a little of each in the spread and fine tune from there and let the fish tell what they want on any given day. Lead core rigs and spoons will work fine. With three guys in the boat I will run 5 colors of leadcore off a board, full core off a board, dypsie, downrigger, 1# snap weight, down rigger, dypsie, fullcore and half core. Experiment with spoon colors but blue/silver green/silver white combos can all produce. Check out Algoma hardware as they have more baits and equipment then you'll see just about anywhere. As far as water temps ideally you want temps in the 50's but you can look up nearshore temps on the noaa weather site and they have nearshore temps in the area on a map which can help steer you in the right direction. You may be able to tell where most of the action is by watching the other boats and see where they are setup but you'll increase your chances by getting away from the crowd. So with a crew of two I'd run half core rigs off boards to the outside, two full core rigs of boards in side that and two dypsies rods, set at 1&2 start at 75' back and lengthen the leads from there. Or you could run 8-20 oz snap weights off the back. Have fun and experiment!

Tunrevir~

If the winds make it to rough in Algoma you can drive over to the Green Bay side of Door county to fish. The fall river mouth fishing just off the break walls should be starting as well. Another thought, the price of one charter will buy a set of decent manual down riggers.

The big water is a great place to fish. A boat that big is just fine. From every experience i have had, it is either okay and everyone goes out, or it is windy and no one goes out(always some that go out anyway). With an open boat, and temperatures maybe a little cooler, raingear would be essential. I have seen many a drenched people, and they did not have fun. Another way is just to leave a little sooner to fish and just take your time going out. It is not that far, and if you stay dry it will make things a lot better. The previous being if it is windy of course. Calm water will not get you wet. As ediquete, it is nice if at least one person in the boat is looking where they are going. It is amazing seeing 4 guys in a boat, all looking at the rods and going in circles, cutting people off, etc.. A compass is handy to keep you on track, it is sooo easy to turn in a circle without knowing you did. Speed is pretty important. For me, about 2.6 is where i start, making note of speed when a fish bites. A great speed indicator is your dipsey rods. If they are bent over limply, too slow. If your drag is pretty snug and line keeps coming off the reel, too fast. When you turn and a rod stands straight up, turning too sharp in that direction. As far as lures, you can ask here, ask at the bait shop, see what others have on their poles at the landing, etc., and they all will work. Use the ones that seem comfortable to you. As your topic says "confidence" is important in lure choices. There is the issue with line clearing when you have a fish on. What i do depends on the size of fish, small leave all out, medium maybe clear some off of one side, big fish might clear all lines. It is great to get doubles, but is not so good to have one get tangled and get off. The more fish i have, the less i probably take in. I have never lost a fish due to tangling with a line or downrigger, but i hear of sob stories every trip of a big fish lost. I would advise a beginner to keep a spread fairly simple at first, have some success and then expand as things go. Later morning or early evening are good times to practice. Prime time you really want an "A" game going. And for me, i will be trolling along doing my thing, nothing biting, and i say to myself "I really suck". Then BAM, fish on and i say "i am the smartest person in the world". Is the way it goes. You can do everything right and catch nothing. You can troll forever without a bite, then fish after fish. Sometimes you have to change lures/depth, sometimes just a little patience works best. Often times, setting lines or checking baits will for some reason trigger strikes. Make sure to watch the other poles.

I hope you guys do well. Success varies with every angler, but even one 20pound class fish-your arms burning-adrenalen going, really is a successful trip. And you will be back-many times-and downriggers, rod holders, boards, lures, then bigger boat!

This board is just too quiet and I have the itch to get out there already so I thought I'd say something here just to help myself if nothing else! grin

Just wondering if anyone else has some plans for Algoma already for the summer. Some of my friends and I are heading over there the last weekends in June and Aug. Going to try to sneak one in in July too, but not sure as my friend and my schedules aren't looking to good to work out together.

Anyway, I don't visit this forum page a whole lot on a daily basis, but for some of you traveling to the Duluth area to fish Lake Superior, your always welcome to give me shout with some of your questions or if your heading to Algoma when I am there too.

Just remember there are a few basic things always to consider when looking for a particular fish on the Great Lakes. Start with the prefered temperature for that fish and the bait the corresponds with that depth. That's always the place to start if you have nothing else to go on. Always glad to help. laugh

Joel, Esko, MN

hello fellow great lakers i live in sturgeon bay and every day in the summer im not working you can find me on the bank reef

( sturgeon Bay) slamming salmon i love to fish and unlike the charter boats i like to see people from close by and far away catch fish as my boat is covered for the winter i also catch my self day dreaming about fishing the open water but find myself fishing the frozen water to keep my addiction alive. so drop me aline and if your in this area this summer i am always looking for another excuse to go fishing

i fish browns on first ice out and also the baileys harbor brown touney during first ice out i fish the ship chanel close to the bay and i run with my 16 ft boat then.

but on the lake i fish out of my 21 ft

i always heard the walleyes are awesome up in superior there pretty good here but i am always looking for a excuse to fish elsewhere

Firefightingfish,

Hey I am looking for someone to show me the bank reef. Been fishing Algoma, Kewanuee for many years but have never had the gumpshin to make the trip out to bank and we really want to learn that area. Would you be willing to allow us to follow you out and give us some input next summer? We always camp at Big lake campground in Algoma and usually do 2-3 trips a year late July early August timeframe.

Thanks

luv2rapala@yahoo(you know this part)

Gary

Mark,

I may take you up on that offer. I have a friend that lives there in Sturgeon Bay. They live on your left just before you adventure out of the channel to the lake. I haven't seen them in a couple of years so maybe I'll swing in So maybe I'll make a quick run out there with a friend of mine from here to do a quick weekend of fishing then sometime in Aug.

you guys are all welcome i am always looking to fish so you have my email address keep in touch and lets go fishing !!!

you could follow me out in your boat or you are welcome to come out in mine !!

the kids and i are heading to milles lac tommarrow morning for 3 days of ice fishing anyone have any good tips ? just looking to make the kids trip a great time !!