Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ddsbyday

How I long for those days-again !!!!

11 posts in this topic

One winter when I was 5 or six years old we had a bunch of snow. We had a prevailing wind for a couple of days that made a huge drift under about an 8 foot cliff on our(my parents) property. We would jump off the bank and land in a snow drift. We could tuck and almost drop to our necks. My father would have us grab on to a shovel and he would unscrew us from the drift. Please remember that I was 5 or 6 years old. My dimentions could be way off. I had so much fun. I would spend 1/5 or 1/6 of my life waiting for the same circumstances. It never happened again. I will be 50 soon. I remember that time. We lived there for 3-4 years longer. I never saw it again. Now I know why. It is now the end of August 2009 and we are in a cold spell. Imagine your 5 year old s first time at the Minnesota state fair today. They may long for the days when they where a kid when it was in the 60's at the end of August. Wearing a jacket to the fair. Holding a bag of mini downuts just to warm their hands. Longing for those days again is one thing. Thinking you can some how effect or reproduce them is another.

There was a building close to where I grew up and every years there would a snow drift up to the side of that building and we would crawl up there and jump off into the snow and wind up about the same, close to neck deep in snow. GAWD I miss those days!!!!!!

We used to slide down pine trees(a blast) and bumper hitch the bus all the way to school. Not enough snow any more.

How long before this thread goes down the global warming path?

Don't have to worry about global warming anymore, cash for clunkers just fixed it. laugh

Longing for those days again is one thing. Thinking you can some how effect or reproduce them is another.

You're earliest experience with significance is always the way it "used to be". Even if it only lasted a week, in our young minds it was the whole year.

Thanks for the thoughts dds.

Quote:
Don't have to worry about global warming anymore, cash for clunkers just fixed it.

I have a feeling there's probably more to come...sort of like "bill and ted's excellent adventures"... laugh

We had a drainage ditch behind our home growing up for street run off that ran into the river. It would freeze in the winter and we would make skating rinks and sled hills all over it along with forts. It never got old. It was great.

You are right. Our young minds are etched with the way it used to be. We can not control weather and conditions. One winter in the 1970s (I think around 75) White Bear lake froze solid with no snow. Ice boaters went crazy. You could not buy one anywhere. We would throw some shoes in a back pack and skate from Mahtomedi into White Bear Lake and go to Reed's to buy Model rockets. Again I could not wait for the next winter so I could do it again. It never happened again. Something was always different. Part of growing up is understanding that in your short life you you may remember a cold or snowy winter. You may see a hot and humid summer. The type of light bulbs you use or the car you drive will not reproduce the conditions you desire. Taking advantage of the current, uncontrolable weather conditions is the way to go. On a side note- I got burned for the first time last winter. The lake I put my house on is late to freeze. I could not get my house out because of late freeze and heavy snow. In 50 years I have not seen 2 identical seasons of any kind. I hope it does not happen for the first time this winter!

In 50 years I have not seen 2 identical seasons of any kind. I hope it does not happen for the first time this winter!

Amen. But I'll take some good snow this year to justify my new used snowmobile. wink It has a paddle track. smile

We just need it to come after we have 10-12 inches of choice ice.

I remeber jumping off the house into 8-10-15 ft drifts depending on the year. Some of the most rememorable times of my younger years were spent jumping off into a giant snow bank then climbing back up to jump again. I only hope my kids can relive those days at Grandma and Grandpas.