• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My lab has a hard time letting go of what he's retrieving.......

ZEEK1223

My lab is 2 yrs old, and Im having trouble getting him to give up anything he's retrieving. He has no problem with the retrieve. He usually brings it right back to my side, but when I go to grab anything weather it be a ball, or especially a duck he kind of looks the other way and avoids my hand. He doesnt run away, just kind of moves his head to avoid my hand. Any advice would be great.....

sounds like my lab, he will bring the ball to me, when i reach to grab it, he will turn as if he is ignoring me or will walk out about 3 ft away. when this happens i tell him to drop it, he normally does, however if he continues, we stop playing. not sure what to do, i will be excited to see if anyone has suggestions.

Is your dog force-fetch trained? That solved similar problems and issues with my 1 1/2 year old male lab. My dog is way better after doing this with him. Before, he would drop everything or not give it up, but he now automatically comes right back to me and heels and holds whatever I had him fetch until I tell him to give. I used a DVD from Tri-tronics with Jim and Phyllis Dobbs and did it all on my own. Definately saved me a bunch of money.

I just read this in outdoor news from a couple weeks ago and I cant find that article anymore. I think it went like this:

After the dog retrieves bring dog along side of you grab what she fetched and at the same time raise up on her midriff while saying give. When she releases praise the dog and repeat.

Dont over praise or she may become to excited and forget what she did.

By raising the midriff it makes it uncomfortable and the dog automatically drops what she/he has. After repeating she/he eventually learns the praise will be the reward and give it up.

Its something like that I believe. I wish I could find that article but hopefully this may help ya.

What I did with my lab was fairly easy. She enjoys the retrieve, so when she brought it back and didn't drop it on command, I just stood there. After a while she would drop it. I didn't let her move, she had to just sit there also. After a while she figured out if she dropped it, I would throw it again. The light went off in her head. I drop it, I can go get it again. Worked great, took a little time, but now I have zero problems with "drop"

Do not know if I would give the full go ahead on this but I use it for pups that like to chew on fingers/hands and or I use it on my 1.5 year old springer. While grabbing the ball give a quick press on the tongue with your thumb. She drops immediately.