• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sleeper shacks

tacklejunkie

Bring LOTS of beer and a radio. Sometimes the fish don't cooperate and the beer helps pass the time smile

P.S. You will really find out what your friends are like after spending 3 or 4 days, in a wooden box, in the middle of a frozen tundra LOL smile

If you're going to rent a sleeper, you should maybe think about somewhere that has more of a night bite. LOTW pretty much shuts off after dark. Maybe thats cool with you, but some place like Red Lake would give you some action during the evening hours also.

If you're going to rent a sleeper, you should maybe think about somewhere that has more of a night bite. LOTW pretty much shuts off after dark. Maybe thats cool with you, but some place like Red Lake would give you some action during the evening hours also.

This is why I am taking a trip up to Mille Lacs this winter because the fish will still bite at night.

We had 4 guys on a sleeper on LOW three years ago. It was on the bucket list and now that is crossed out I really wouldn't do again. We had a great time, but a shower would have been nice after about day three. We had a few snowmobiles and that was really nice when the fishing was slow and to get away for awhile. The resort we went out of checked in with us 2-3 times a day. The "facilities" consisted of a 5 gallon bucket and a plastic bag. When you were done with your "business" just tie it off, put a new bag in, and throw the bag on the ice. At night we put two tip-ups in the holes and fished for pout. We had some of those beepers that beeped when a fish was on. That was fun and we did it a few nights of the 4 we were on the ice.

I have stayed in sleepers on LOW with two different resorts. Zipple Bay had a plowed road and you could come and go as you please. It was nice to head in to the bar at night for dinner and a beer. I cant remember the name of the other place we stayed, but they did not let you drive out to the house. It was a very long 5 days and the fishing was very slow. I highly recommend staying at one that lets you come and go as you please.

I forgot about the outdoor outhouses at Zipple Bay. My wife is not a fan of them. I accidentally locked the door from the outside when she was in it. I went back to the fish house to fish and it wasnt till about 45 minutes later when I turned the radio off that I heard her yelling. She was not very happy. At least I set up a portable heater in there for her.