Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slabchaser

I cant believe it happened again

26 posts in this topic

My wife and I moved to the metro two years ago from southern Mn for a job she really wanted me to take. In this two year period my wife has been layed off three times from 2 graphic desgin companies and one retail job. The last time being yesterday. I know things are bad but its really making it hard to be comfortable anymore. Her boss told her she would be one of the last ones to go if it had to happen and aparently that meant one of the first. We had planned on having our second child for a while and now that my wife is 11 weeks pregnant she is without a job. This is so frustrating. I dont mean to whine because I know most people are feeling it now adays but I needed to rant to someone. I think my wife would feel even worse if I told her my frustrations. Thanks for letting me vent

Things will get better, I have no doubt. I know it can be very hard. Keep the chin up, and lean on your wife as she leans on you. You are a team. smilesmile

I know this is not very comforting, but I have been through 3 companies closings, 4 layoffs, and 1 strike over the last 30 years. It does SUCK! Best I can say is don't give up. If one keeps plugging forward it does get better again. There are times when life is just not a walk in the park.

My wife and I moved to the metro two years ago from southern Mn for a job she really wanted me to take. In this two year period my wife has been layed off three times from 2 graphic desgin companies and one retail job. The last time being yesterday. I know things are bad but its really making it hard to be comfortable anymore. Her boss told her she would be one of the last ones to go if it had to happen and aparently that meant one of the first. We had planned on having our second child for a while and now that my wife is 11 weeks pregnant she is without a job. This is so frustrating. I dont mean to whine because I know most people are feeling it now adays but I needed to rant to someone. I think my wife would feel even worse if I told her my frustrations. Thanks for letting me vent

My wife got laid off so I can somewhat relate. Thankfully, most of our kids are out of the house and our debt load is low. hang in there and conrads on the new arrival

Hang in there!

My wife started a new job monday with a big company, Went in for training monday. After 3 hours of training, They called her and 3

other new trainee's into the office. The biggies said things were slow and they had to let them go... Brown & bigalow...

randy

If you lived close to Shakopee, we could hire your wife as our childcare provider. That seems to be the one industry (other than government) that seems to be experiencing no slowdown as based by the increasing cost of care.

I'm guessing you probably bought as house? If you havn't, I would hit the road OUT of this state. There are other states that are actually growing!

As others have stated, keep your head up. The ones who don't give up seem to always come out of this even if it seems now it won't happen.

Over the years I have had numerous health issues and lost a few good paying jobs. I thought it would never work out and at times things got pretty tight.

All is well now. Keep plugging away as those that keep their head up will come through it all.

I have been there and I'm sure you feel it won't work out but, it does. Its a tough one for sure.

Good luck to the both of you.

Quote:
My wife got laid off so I can somewhat relate.

I was wondering if you were going to change that statement.... grin

Quote:
My wife got laid off so I can somewhat relate.

I was wondering if you were going to change that statement.... grin

I spotted that after I put my glasses back on. My almost 50 year old eyes aint what they used to be

My wife and I are in a similar boat in the same lake. She was laid off about 2 months ago, with 3 1/2 months severance pay and benefits. She then had a good lead on a job, went through multiple interviews and was given a tentative offer, to which she accepted. After the long weekend semi-celebrating and waiting for the actual offer letter to come, she got a call from the HR rep who she had been dealing with, stating that the position was now on hold for another 4 months. Talk about disappointed.

She is continuing to look for work now, and is looking at this little layoff suprise as a gift of some sort: she is able to take this as a "second maternity leave" and watch our daugther make her huge developmental "firsts" now as she was 8 months old when she was laid off. We pulled her out of daycare immediately, and she has witnessed first teeth, sitting up, crawling, clapping, waving, babbling, pulling up and walking along furniture, and active playing among other little things. Not too many employed mothers are blessed with the chance to see all that firsthand, unfortunately. But, we need a second income, and she will comtinue to look for a job.

On a side note, I don't see the correlation between layoffs and more need for daycare; our in-home provider has lost us and another couple's kid, and may be losing another family. The provider has said that this is happening all over.

But, we need a second income, and she will comtinue to look for a job.

Do you have a cabin in ottertail county? Is that why you NEED the 2nd income???? Wouldn't it be nice to sell the cabin and spend the next 18 years focusing on raising your children? I would love to have a cabin/land but raising the kids is more important and expensive than some "property". I'm sorry but this is so common in our NOW society.

To the original poster, good luck!

chasineyes, unless you know McGurk & are giving him a hard time, or have lived an ideal life & never made a mistake, you are way out of line.

You want to start a debate on that feel free, it's a legit point of debate, but couched in an attack on somebody you don't know is ignorant & arrogant, among other things.

Grew up in OT Cty, moved to the cities for money (hence, the "via"), hope to end up back there as that's where my parents still are and where I feel home is. Cabin up there (or anywhere)? I wish. New truck? No. 4 wheeler(s) or snowmobile(s)? No. Hunting land? No. 60 yr old 3 BR rambler? Yes. Semi-healthy savings and retirement funds? YES.

I (WE) need the second income to try to put our girl and future kids through schooling and not have the hard times both our parents had as we grew up, with the dual incomes (and right now single income) that we have. Beleive me; we ran the numbers and 1 kid on my paycheck is breaking even, any more than that and we're on a downward slide.

If wanting a better life for our kids than we had is wrong, then I apologize, chasineyes. I'm still down on the floor reading the want-ads with my wife if you need to deliver another kick.

Grew up in OT Cty, moved to the cities for money (hence, the "via"), hope to end up back there as that's where my parents still are and where I feel home is. Cabin up there (or anywhere)? I wish. New truck? No. 4 wheeler(s) or snowmobile(s)? No. Hunting land? No. 60 yr old 3 BR rambler? Yes. Semi-healthy savings and retirement funds? YES.

I (WE) need the second income to try to put our girl and future kids through schooling and not have the hard times both our parents had as we grew up, with the dual incomes (and right now single income) that we have. Beleive me; we ran the numbers and 1 kid on my paycheck is breaking even, any more than that and we're on a downward slide.

If wanting a better life for our kids than we had is wrong, then I apologize, chasineyes. I'm still down on the floor reading the want-ads with my wife if you need to deliver another kick.

Well said. Sometimes a person just needs a little unquestioning support. It ain't easy out there. It should be easier in here.

I work in marketing for a large company who is laying off staff left and right in favor of freelancers and contractors. She should seriously look into starting her own graphic design business or getting on board with a small design group that does contract work. There are also some websites out there that connect freelance designers with business looking for projects completed more affordably than what the huge Advertising firms would charge. Obviously easier said than done, but I think the trend of hiring contract workers instead of having designers on the payroll is here to stay.

Apology accepted 'eyes. And thanks, Steve and Max12. I also wish the best of luck to slabchaser, tacklejunkie, and bbqhead, along with anyone else who is in this situation. I thank God that my wife is as frugal as she is, ans has made me that way too, now that we are where we are. Having our house be the only thing we don't own outright helps us get through this, too. Things will get better, I have no doubt, it's just a matter of when.

I too wish Good luck to all who are looking for jobs now. I was half time for half of this year, but full time again. Glad my wife's job seems pretty safe for now, but we all know that "safe" is a fickle term...

I just sold an old RV, and that cash is going in savings rather than a new bow, cause I am betting I just might have to take a cut again, prolly around xmas. Right now our company is just my boss and me and a part time accoutant, and I know he won't cut himself loose before me, ha! I am planning for it already, but hoping it doesn't come.

...but 4 years ago company I worked for went bankrupt, no severence, no vacation pay, no expense checks paid, no nothing... It does hurt at the time. So good luck to those looking for work, and also good luck (and good planning to minimize pain) to those of us who might soon be in that position again...

Out of couriosity, did they know she was pregnant? Is that perhaps why she went from last out the door to first? I feel for you, it's not a gret time to be in those situations.

Things can be frustration. I had a nice job with the state here in Fergus Falls but due to cut backs I'm laid off effective next tuesday. Been doing things to bring in a little income but still looking for a regular job. It's not easy these days. Best of luck to all who are out there in the same boat (no pun intended). I am lucky in having the benefit of some income coming into the house from my GF working and my business, but now my business is down to Friday's Saturday's and Sunday's due to my son being in school and to save on some money, I'll be home to see him off and be home when he gets here. Friday's work because he can go to his mom's or come home to my GF if she's home. But again, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of those looking for work right now as well. As long as we have people to talk through and help us up in these down times, we will make it through.

I feel your pain. 2 1/2 years ago my wife and I made the joint decision for her to quit her job and stay home to raise our children after we had our second son (he turned 3 this May). This was feasible based on the fact that I made enough to live on until both kids are in school fulltime and her income was about the same as our daycare costs were. We made some lifestyle changes to accommodate this change.

Meanwhile we were able to buy a nicer, newer home in January 2008. Then I took a 30% pay cut that May. We considerably changed our lifestyles at that point and eliminated most of our "fun spending", including going out to eat, vacations, etc. Last December I lost paid holidays at work. And then this past May I took another pay cut and am now making less than 50% of what I used to make, plus I lost all of my paid vacation (4 weeks worth).

Luckily we have savings to live off of while I try and find another job. And my only "toy" is a 1973 Crestliner with a 1972 Johnson outboard.

Oh yeah, they also stopped offering medical insurance after July of this year.

That's a tough break. Best of luck Bubba, and everyone. I am lucky that my toy is paid for and the Evinrude on there doesn't burn up gas like the old Johnson I had, but I had just purchased a new truck in July. Things will work out, but buying additional things for my boat, or a bigger boat, is on a slow down and down to small things like tackle and bait.

jiggin, no her boss didnt know she was pregnant, she is only three months along. My wife was doing two jobs for her employer. She was doing the book work for her boss and design. Her boss didnt want to train another person for the book work. she got moved to strictly design and then her boss didnt need to depend on her. Good luck to everyone. My father keeps on telling me things will get better but that is about all the hope that I am relying on right now.

slabchaser, I wish you the best of luck with the new baby, and hope you can get things to work out. If you need some baby stuff, we can probably part with some girl stuff and some excess bottles and stuff. Don't hesitate to ask for any other specifics.

MikeA, tough break. Seems like you are also making the best of it with your kid, and I'm happy to hear about an involved father in a separated parentship. All the best.

Bubbadust, It seems to just keep coming down on you, and best of luck in weathering this storm. We also were looking at larger and newer houses at about the same time as you were, but I really dragged my feet due to the difficulty of selling our existing house and the additional financial burden. For once my procrastination actually helped our situation, and we stay in our "cozy" 1500 sq ft rambler. The good news for you is, if you can keep afloat, you will have bought your house right, and will have a phenomenal interest rate for years to come. Good Luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Most of them will be liberals..   Ha ha ha...     Fake news ?   The direct result of a video...   I landed in sniper fire...   The stupidity of the American voter...     Hilborg...   Created, marketed and sold thru fake news to gullible libs across the country.    
    • And you still think something is not screwed up in this country!? I fear a great many people are headed for some very painful disappointments in the next couple years.
    • A 56 percent majority of Trump voters say that if a national media outlet reported that Trump said something untrue, they would be more inclined to believe him than the news outlet.

• Here is some more business fueled by Trump and Uncle Bill type LIVs.   Fake News: How a Partying Macedonian Teen Earns Thousands Publishing Lies by ALEXANDER SMITH and VLADIMIR BANIC   VELES, Macedonia — Dimitri points to a picture on his Instagram showing a bar table decked with expensive champagne and sparklers.  It's from his 18th birthday just four months ago — a lavish party in his east European hometown that he says wouldn't have been possible without President-elect Donald Trump.  Dimitri — who asked NBC News not to use his real name — is one of dozens of teenagers in the Macedonian town of Veles who got rich during the U.S. presidential election producing fake news for millions on social media. The articles, sensationalist and often baseless, were posted to Facebook, drawing in armies of readers and earning fake-news writers money from penny-per-click advertising.  Dimitri says he's earned at least $60,000 in the past six months — far outstripping his parents' income and transforming his prospects in a town where the average annual wage is $4,800. He is one of the more successful fake news pushers in the area.  His main source of cash? Supporters of America's president-elect.  "Nothing can beat Trump's supporters when it comes to social media engagement," he says. "So that's why we stick with Trump."  Even with the presidential contest over and Google and Facebook's plans to crack down on fake news makers, money continues to pour in.  Posts about Hillary Clinton are also a hit — but only negative ones.  "I have mostly written about her emails, what is contained in her emails, the Benghazi tragedy, maybe her illness that she had," Dimitri adds, but now he's moved on to headlines like: "Trey Gowdy Revealed His EPIC Plan To Imprison Hillary Now That Election's Over, SHE IS DONE!"  Dimitri's sole aim is to make his stories go viral.  His most popular headlines during the election included: "JUST IN: Obama Illegally Transferred DOJ Money To Clinton Campaign!" and "BREAKING: Obama Confirms Refusal To Leave White House, He Will Stay In Power!"  The teenager is unrepentant about any influence his stories may have had on swaying public opinion.  "I didn't force anyone to give me money," he says. "People sell cigarettes, they sell alcohol. That's not illegal, why is my business illegal? If you sell cigarettes, cigarettes kill people. I didn't kill anyone." The same weekend that NBC spent with Dimitri, a gunman opened fire in a Washington, D.C., pizzeria. The shooter told police he was motivated by a fake news story. The pizzeria, Comet Ping Pong, was accused online of hosting a pedophile ring run by Democratic leaders. Asked about the incident this week, Dimitri claimed he wasn't familiar with the story nor the people who had spread it online.   A Modern Gold Rush The small, rust-belt town of Veles has found itself in the international spotlight after investigations by BuzzFeed and the Guardian traced more than 100 fake news domain names here.  The fake news bonanza couldn't have come against a more jarring backdrop. Once part of communist Yugoslavia, the Republic of Macedonia has a population of 2.1 million in a landlocked area about the size Vermont. Blanketed by rugged mountains, parts of the country have enjoyed a tourism surge in recent years. But vacationers won't find Veles in many travel guides. The town of 50,000 is almost an hour's drive down a lonely, crumbling highway from the capital, Skopje. Macedonia is landlocked by Bulgaria, Serbia, Kosovo, Albania and Greece. Google Maps Visitors are greeted by a distressed mosaic of red-roofed buildings, densely stacked onto a steep mountainside. Industrial smokestacks add to a wintry fog settling over the valley — though even their output has diminished after several recent factory closures.  Almost a quarter of Macedonians are currently unemployed — a rate around five times higher than in the U.S. But the burdens that weigh on Veles might also explain why it's become a global hotbed for fake news. High unemployment and a close-knit community meant that when Dimitri and others started making money, word quickly spread and everyone wanted a piece of the action.  Most teens here speak fluent English, allowing them to quickly navigate through reams of Western news sites and pinpoint potentially viral content.  Dimitri estimates there are now 300 locals dabbling in fake news, with at least 50 making "decent money," and around a dozen making "a lot." He says he's not quite at the top of the pecking order, but not far off.   But he is no scrappy teenager. Dimitri is bright, with an obvious aptitude for business.  He won't show NBC News his profile on Google AdSense, an online advertising service that allows websites to make money, to protect five other teenagers who asked him not to reveal aspects of their shared interests. He's also wary of revealing his full income, worried it will make him a target for thieves, or worse. However, he does show NBC News a digital receipt from Google showing he earned more than $8,000 from the web giant in September. He says this was just one of several advertising accounts, and claims his most successful streak — in the run-up to the election — saw him rake in $27,000 in just one month.  When asked for comment about the persistence of fake news even after the election, Facebook directed NBC News to a post from CEO Mark Zuckerberg last month in which he laid out the company's plan to tackle the phenomenon.  In an interview with TODAY on Thursday, Facebook Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg acknowledged "there's a lot more to do."  Google outlined steps last month that it said would restrict advertising on websites that "misrepresent, misstate, or conceal information." The company did not respond to NBC News' requests for comment on this apparently still-flourishing industry. Dimitri says even after the election, while business is less brisk, his fake news is still highly profitable. Like any business, he's aware of the need to adapt. "This business updates every hour, every ten minutes, every minute," he says. "There are always news ideas, new types of generating new visitors and that's the thing we all want." So while newspapers across the globe are losing advertising revenue, Dimitri's empire of lies is thriving. He says he now employs three 15-year-olds, paying them the equivalent of $10 per day. As well as buying new laptops and paying cash to boost his posts on social media, he has also invested some of his earnings into real estate — a joint venture with his parents, who are more than happy with his success.   The Anatomy of a Lie As with many regular journalists, Dimitri starts his day by trawling the web looking for trending topics that he can harness to drive traffic to his websites. He copies his posts from other fake news websites, including many in the U.S., or takes content from mainstream media organizations before peppering them with invented details. He also posts provocative online polls such as: "Should Trump Deport All Refugees?" and: "Do you consider Donald Trump, the Jesus of America?" Most of this content is published on websites Dimitri has built to look like NBC News, Fox News, the Huffington Post and others. A fake news page run from Macedonia that is made to look like Huffington Post. To the untrained eye, fake headlines such as: "BREAKING: Obama Confirms Refusal To Leave White House, He Will Stay In Power!" look genuine. The only giveaway is the imitation URL.  From then on, it's a case of throwing as much mud at the wall and seeing what sticks. "The most-read news articles are usually the ones containing the click-bait words," Dimitri says. "The click bait words, as you know, are, 'Oh my god, breaking news, wow,' and usually something that has never been aired before. Because if the title just says, 'Today this happened, today that happened,' no one will open that." He and his collaborators post these stories to their Facebook pages dozens of times a day. Again, he would only show NBC News a Facebook page that he runs on his own, which has an impressive 86,000 likes. But he said the six pages run by his collective have amassed more than 3 million likes between them. "Say you produce ten lies a day, [the audience] is not going to believe ten lies, they are going to believe probably one or maximum two," he says. "Usually the lies about [Clinton's] emails and the lies about Hillary. The anti-Hillary posts were really good." Stories from USA Daily News 24, a fake news site registered in Veles, Macedonia. An Associated Press analysis using web intelligence service Domain Tools shows that USA Daily News 24 is one of roughly 200 U.S.-oriented sites registered in Veles, which has emerged as the unlikely hub for the distribution of disinformation on Facebook. Both stories shown here are bogus.  Dimitri says he has set up more than 50 domain names in six months, all in a bid to please Facebook's algorithm and get the maximum number of eyeballs on his posts. He claims in that time his posts have achieved some 40 million page views. "We stay up late and we don't sleep that much — I haven't slept good for a couple of months now," he says. "I have to go to school and then at night I have to work." He and his colleagues see the process as an art. At first they worked on a basis of trial-and-error. Now it comes naturally. "You see what people like and you just give it to them," he explains. "You see they like water, you give water, they like wine, you give wine. It's really simple." The challenge of engaging readers on social media is one familiar to most journalists. They have a formidable opponent in Dimitri and his peers; analysis by BuzzFeed after the election showed that fake news websites actually performed better than conventional press and television.  Dimitri is unequivocal about why the mainstream couldn't compete: "They're not allowed to lie."   Partying to the Tune of Fake News The influx of money has created a thriving party culture in Veles.  On Saturday, one local nightclub was barely keeping up with demand, as dozens of teens and young adults ordered ice buckets filled with large $35 bottles of vodka. In this new era, the purveyors of fake news are the coolest kids in the schoolyard.  "Since fake news started, girls are more interested in geeks than macho guys," says one 17-year-old girl standing at the bar.  The most successful fake-news publishers have "bought themselves houses, apartments, maybe invested in some real estate or in some businesses," according to Dimitri. "They have bought themselves cars, they have bought ... their girlfriends better cars, better places to live," he says. Keen to feed off this gold rush, the nightclub even plans to organize a club night on the same day that Google pays out its advertising money.  A nightclub in the Macedonian town of Veles where teenagers dabbling in fake news go to party. Following Google and Facebook's vow to clamp down on fake news, Dimitri says he knows people have lost tens of thousands after their accounts were shuttered. "When they started to shut down webpages, business went down," says 20-year-old Kiko, a bartender at the nightclub. The impact appears to have been short lived, however, judging by the healthy flow of local currency, the Macedonian denar, being shoved into the club's cash registers. Most people are cagey about admitting any direct involvement in fake news. But Tony, a 40-year-old taxi driver, says that every young person he knows — including his own son — is in on the act. "I've been doing this job for 18 years and I know everyone in the city," he says. "I know kids who are minors, 16 or 17 years old, and they bought BMWs after running these websites." Is he worried about his son making money from selling hoaxes online? "It's better to do this job than to go into the drug business," he says. Also unperturbed is Veles' mayor, Slavcho Chadiev. "Is it criminal activity? Not according to the law of Macedonia," he says during an interview in his office. "All that money went through the state system and everyone paid their taxes." He isn't bothered by accusations that Veles' teens swayed the U.S. election. In fact, he welcomes the idea. "Not as a mayor, but as a man and as a citizen, I'm glad if Veles contributed to the Republicans' victory and Trump's victory," he says.   A view of Veles in November.  Like many Macedonians, he blames recent Democratic administrations in Washington for not doing more to help their country's attempts to join the European Union and NATO. (Greece has blocked these efforts in a dispute over Macedonia's name — the country's official title at the United Nations is the cumbersome Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.) On the flip side, the mayor still remembers fondly when Republican President George W. Bush recognized his country's new title in 2004. What would he do if he encountered one of these fake news tycoons? "I would ask him, 'Are you looking for a job?' Because I have a lack of IT guys," he says, before admitting that the salary of less than $400 might not be attractive. Dimitri says his goal is to earn $1 million, and it's no surprise the young entrepreneur sees Trump as "a small role model." There's only one question that sees doubt creep into Dimitri's cocksure demeanor. When he copies posts from other fake news websites, does he worry he's being used as a pawn to spread propaganda? "When you buy a certain product, you don't know who created it," he says. "You don't know who creates your shoes, and there are rumors that small children in Africa create them." He adds: "Maybe I don't want to find out, because if I find out maybe I'm going to feel bad. Right now I'm feeling OK.
    • I WAS AGAINST IT!!!! If it wasn't for Jay Cutler, Mauer's, would by far be the worst contract in sports history!
    • striker for me...I have had the suit for 3 years now and absolutely love it.  I wear the inner jacket everyday and when I go ice fishing I never worry about being cold as the suit is as warm as can be and I know that if I were to have an unfortunate incident and fell in I will be floating on top! 
    • Goldman Sachs has been smiling all the way to the bank lately...   As noted by market legend Art Cashin, the director of floor operations at UBS and long-time trading veteran, Goldman Sachs, one of the 30 stocks making up the Dow Jones Industrial Average index, has been responsible for a huge amount of the increase in that index. From Cashin’s daily commentary on Wednesday (emphasis added): “The Dow closed up 35 points and almost 23 of those points came from Goldman Sachs (GS). In fact, our good friend and fellow trading veteran, Jim Brown, at Option Investor, points out that GS has rallied $57 since the election. That means that GS has provided 441 of the 1363 points that the Dow has rallied. In case your calculator batteries are dead, that’s about one third of the rally, all due to Goldman.“    
    • The bigfoot blocks the light just fine. I bought used so there were portions of it that were worn and had tiny holes, but even with that I could see great. Making sure your skirt is down properly and covering up the floor make a much bigger difference. I use EVA foam exercise tiles for the floor, light weight and shed the water well.

This year I went around and patched up a bunch of those, I used something we had lying around called Gesso, but I am guessing white out would have worked fine. Let that dry and then went over it with a sharpie. I doubt it will make a difference in me getting a fish or not, but needed to fill some time with the late ice  .   I am fairly certain this is the style of interior that caused the issue of seeing lines in the hole.
  • Our Sponsors