• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cat Bobber explaination (from goes out to Rob Rushing)

Larry FlatCaster

If you haven't tried the Cat Bobber and are looking to try something a little bit different, its a fun way to fish.

Its taken me 3 years of off and on fishing with this to finally get some action on it. Then in one night POW 3 fish taken on the Bobber.

To Rig you need a bobber stop, a bead, then your bobber, another bead, weight, another bead, swivel, leader and circle hook.

The amount of weight depends on the size of the bobber. In this set up I'm using 4 oz. If I go any less the bobber wants to lay on its side. You will also need a glow bracelet or necklace to put in the top of it so you can see it from a distance.

I was using a 7/0 circle, I've been fishing live bait under it. I,m sure cut would work just as well.

Thanks again Rob for some words of wisdom.

catbobber.jpg

Good write up Larry! Typical slip bobber rigging with enough weight to keep the bobber upright which means about 50-75% of the bobber should be below water level. I like to use 4oz egg sinkers. The flat ones tend to get pushed around a bit by the current but work in a pinch. I have only used a kat bobber a couple of times this season but got a 28lber. Bobber fishin can be a lot of work figuring out the right depth and how to use current and line management for a proper drift. But its all worth it when you get that pay off of seeing that bobber take off and disappear.

Congrats on your success Larry!

Larry -

How long a leader are you leaving under the bobber? I've been wanting to try this in a couple of spots I have. I've got a perfect spot with slow current, about 12' of water over a whole bunch of drowned timber. I can't get a normal slip rig presentation in there without getting hung and this might just be the ticket.

Thanks for the info, Rob. I bought a couple of Kat Bobbers a couple of years ago and I got one of those Gamakatsu Lighted bobbers too. I've tried them off and on but haven't caught anything on them. I've got this one spot that I have been wanting to try so I think I will give them a go there. I usually end up all snagged in the drowned timber so I'll try to work a bobber above it and see if I can lure a fish out of all that timber with a suspended bullhead.

Nice I'm gonna have to try this one...hey rushing, andrew said your in my neck of the woods. We should hit the river up one of these days...i see you have good taste in music cool

I am down. Maybe this week if you are free.

I love when you get a bite and its a smaller fish and it starts running it reminds me off the movie JAWS when they got those barrels in the shark and the sharks pulling them under.

He cant go under with three barrels. He cant grinlaugh

Great report Larry. I hope we get a chance to use this technique this Friday for our last BPCL outing.

I enjoy using a bobber, and it is especially useful when fishing from shore. You can let your bait drift out into areas that are beyond your casting range. It's fun to let them circle around in an eddy. I think a moving bait gets hit harder when the fish know it has to be taken quickly or it will be gone for good. As Steve D. mentioned, you can use them in areas with a lot of snags. I think his double hook rig would be deadly with a bobber. With circle hooks, the resistance of the bobber and sinker are usually enough to engage the hook.

Instead of the traditional "tin can" style bobber, I like to use a white balloon with a glow stick. I use a stopper (small rubber band), bead, 1/4" clear tubing (about 3 inches long), sinker, weight, swivel, and hook. The balloon is tied to the tubing and a rubber band attaches the light stick to the balloon. This makes it easy to add or remove the bobber (balloon) without having to cut and retie your line. You can adjust the size of the balloon to fit your sinker, but with circle hooks, I like a fairly large balloon to engage the hook.

Of course, this casts terrible. However, a big advantage of using a bobber is you can gently put it in the water and let it drift to where your want it to go. This means you can lightly hook your bait and keep it more lively.

BalloonBobberscaled.jpg

I hate to admit this but the bass guys been useing that one for years and years grin minus the light stick

You're right Gordie. It was another catfish angling site where I first learned about using balloons. Another addition he had was to rig them up to a livesaver (candy) which would dissolve. You'd let the balloon drift out to the exact point you wanted your bait to drop to the bottom and wait for the lifesaver to dissolve. Unfortunately, that method ends up with balloons drifting down the river and does not seem environmentally friendly.

That is freakin' hilarious man!

You, Kevin, and I gotta get out this week at least once.

I am probably down for whenever. Except Friday I am headed up to my cabin for the weekend. You should just come tonight.

Its going to be HKK, Ogrejce, and myself for sure