• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck Questions

Headed to Colorado in a couple weeks for elk and have a couple questions on some emergency gear for my '05 Tundra.

1. Does premixed antifreeze, oil, or auto tranmission fluid go bad. I take each with in case of emergency but the stuff I have is unopened, about three years old and has been stored in an unheated garage year round. Still good to use or should I buy new stuff?

2. I want to buy one of those self contained jump starting packs with the jumper cables, air compressor etc. How many Cold Cranking amps do I need, the same as what my truck battery says for cold cranking amps?

3. Hopefully not more than 1 flat but just in case, have ytou ever used that "slime" stuff to seal and repair tires?

Thanks guys

Headed to Colorado in a couple weeks for elk and have a couple questions on some emergency gear for my '05 Tundra.

1. Does premixed antifreeze, oil, or auto tranmission fluid go bad. I take each with in case of emergency but the stuff I have is unopened, about three years old and has been stored in an unheated garage year round. Still good to use or should I buy new stuff?

2. I want to buy one of those self contained jump starting packs with the jumper cables, air compressor etc. How many Cold Cranking amps do I need, the same as what my truck battery says for cold cranking amps?

3. Hopefully not more than 1 flat but just in case, have ytou ever used that "slime" stuff to seal and repair tires?

Thanks guys

About the "Slime" stuff. If you do use the stuff to get you by until fixed, please let the shop know that stuff is in the tire. There are cautions on handling that stuff.

For the power pack I would spend the extra cash for a 700 amp to a thousand Amp. I would not trust those cheap ones you get at Fleet I did last year with a 300 amp and it would not even turn the car over.

Napa sells some good ones around a $150.

They are a great thing to have around not just for the truck but also the boat. I have seen ones with an inverter looks intresting but I'm not sure about their quality.

Slime works good.

It may work good, but if you end up in a situation where you need to patch a tire, expect to pay. Tire slime is a mess if you need to work on the inside of a tire. I would recommend taking a plug kit before putting slime in the tires.

As far as the fluids you asked about, I would purchase new and properly dispose of the old stuff. Especially if it's been sitting around for 3 years.

MNpurple, A fellow New Ulmer here. The antifreeze will degrade but that is generally through use. In 3 years of storage, I don't believe any would be unfit for use. As for the battery/ jumper pack, buy QUALITY!! I thought I'd save a buck and bought junk (hindsight being 20-20). The units always showed to be fully charged, until I NEEDED it, then it was dead!! 3 different units! As for the Slime, I don't use it. A buddy, big into 4 wheelers uses it, with about a 50% success rate. It doesn't work for BENT wheels!! Colorado Rockies is where he learned that lesson grin (he's a maniac on a wheeler!!) Phred52

Don't use the slime! Not only is it a mess and a real pain to clean out but it will cause a vibration like you wouldn't believe. In general "Fix A Flat" products are pretty much useless IMO. I have yet to see a tire "fixed" with one of those products!

As far as the jumper pack I'll agree that a good one is the best option. They also have them with power inverters built in and most will have a 12 volt outlet to power up all kinds of stuff (cell phone, fish finder, GPS, Portable DVD, etc) Once you get one you'll find all kinds off uses for it!

If its the original battery its already pushing 5 years. It may not be a bad idea to replace it before there is a problem. Go with a good quality name brand like Exide or Interstate. Stay away from the Everstarts and Werkers! I have heard many say they have had good luck with the Fleet Farms as well (I can't complain about my FF trolling battery).

Lastly, your headed to Colorado in your Tundra, whats there to worry about? grin

Lastly, your headed to Colorado in your Tundra, whats there to worry about? grin

Good point! Battery is only 5 months old so I'm not too worried about that, but in the excitment of loading the bull into the back of the truck I might forget to turn the cargo light off or something smile Thanks for all of the tips.

Quote:
About the "Slime" stuff. If you do use the stuff to get you by until fixed, please let the shop know that stuff is in the tire. There are cautions on handling that stuff.

I have heard rumors about fix-a-flat, but never Slime before. I have never seen it, but been told the fix-a-flat stuff that slightly inflates your tire is a flammable gas. God forbid the circumstances where right, if you fill a flat/low tire with fix-a-flat for an in the drive way/on the road repair, take it in to a tire shop, during removal of the tire a spark could occur and ignite the gases. I would think making sure the spare tire was filled and in working order would be the best route. If it is a mechanical drop down style, make sure it drops down before you go wink

Always a very good idea to have an road side emergency kit with flares or triangles along also. Even with the jumper pack, I would still bring a pair of jumper cables also. Just in case. Yep I agree with Phred. Buy a good one. If anything a low buck one will carp out on ya in a year or so anyways, unless using and charging a couple times a week.

Flash light or a 12v alligator clip to battery light is nice. Duck tape and mechanics wire is a good idea. Some elec. wire and couple connectors never hurts. A nice set of automotive trunk tools come in handy. Make sure the factory jack is in working order or bring a pump spare one. I always like starting fluid for some reason. Spare gas can and if possible with a gallon of gas in if you can store it. Maybe a tow strap like one of the cheap ones from Northern Tool in the bag. Bungee's and an extra adjustable strap. Mechinics gloves. Hammer. Cheater tube bar for tire iron (lug nuts are found to very tight at the worst times). Rope, razor/knife, elec. zip ties.

Short of that, you can get anything else at a gas station or Wal-fart grin

Good luck!

If you are regular with service intervals your fluids should be fine. You can test antifreeze. If you have any worries about the battery get a new one. When I'm in the mountains I always carry a come-along and a hi-jack. No fun to be rescued/recovered because you can't change a tire, especially if you get saved by a Jeep. Other equipment: emergency blanket, tarp, whistle, lighter.

Have fun and remember you are driving an extremely reliable vehicle!

the one thing i would take is an extra belt. I keep a new one in my truck at all times, sucks if it breaks, usually caused by something else but you at least have one. the other stuff listed here is what i normally take along. I have a 12 volt operated air pump that if i need to add air it can handle that. it has a flash light on it, works off lighter or of its own battery. paid 55 bucks for it online. as far as fix a flat, colorado is similar to AZ, if you cut the side wall which most times will happen, the faf is not going to help nor the slime. I would not put any of it in my tires, i carry a plug kit and with the air pump, it is good to go. good luck, i am debating about donating my cow hunt to hunt of a lifetime as i have conference the weekend of the opener. tough decision.

...2. I want to buy one of those self contained jump starting packs with the jumper cables, air compressor etc....

IMO don't buy an all-in-one jumper pack. I was gifted a pack that has the jumper, air compressor, lights, inverter, and some more I can't think of, and will likely never use. The thing has gotta way 30 pounds, and takes up quite a bit of space. Buy a jumper pack that is a jumper pack. Buy a separate inverter, air compressor, flashlight, etc. Also I have a gut feeling that when the battery goes on the multi-unit, the whole thing will need to be replaced.

Oh, and buy a jumper pack that does NOT have a separate charging cord. It should be built in so it will not get misplaced.

Good Luck!

Lots covered but the highlifter jack and a shovel may be useful. I went elk hunting a number of years ago and we dealt with 10 inches of snow that came down the first night. Chains were needed to get out and I think at times they are required on the highways. We had a 35 foot trailer full of stuff so I'm sure we had 2 or 3 of everything. Tire plug kit would be nice, forget the slime.